Once the BB device is connected to Wifi, how do you know (how can one ensure) that any data usage is going through the Wifi as opposed to the 3G network?

On the home screen, both the (white, bolded) Wifi symbol and 3G symbols appear.

When I disconnected the 3G network, i was able to browse and send e mails over Wifi, however, I don't think I could receive phone calls, as I had disconnected the mobile network.

I'm sure there has to be a way to keep the mobile network active, while still having data go through the Wifi.

If anyone can explain to me how to accomplish this I would be very appreciative.

Thanks.
    04-11-10 01:08 PM
    The data will still go through Wi-Fi by default when its connected even if the mobile network is still on. The only time you can disconnect the mobile network and still have a fully functioning phone is if your carrier supports UMA as then the Wi-Fi network would deal with everything.
    04-11-10 03:14 PM
    The data will still go through Wi-Fi by default when its connected even if the mobile network is still on. The only time you can disconnect the mobile network and still have a fully functioning phone is if your carrier supports UMA as then the Wi-Fi network would deal with everything.
    Thanks for the response. Just so I am clear. As long as the wifi is connected, by default ALL data (e-mail, apps...) goes through wifi, and not the 3G (or 2G or EDGE)?

Assuming that's the case, and assuming one doesn't have an unlimited data plan, it would be wise to use a Wifi connection whenever possible, right?

Are there any drawbacks / limitations when one uses wifi as opposed to a 3G data connection?
    04-11-10 03:18 PM
    Go to Manage Connections icon, then select Mobile Network Options... Connection Preference: set that to Wi-Fi Preferred... if it's set to Mobile Network Only it will never use Wifi, or Mobile Network Preferred it will use mobile over wifi.

Wifi will of course be faster than 3G, but otherwise no drawbacks or limitations.
    04-11-10 03:36 PM
    Go to Manage Connections icon, then select Mobile Network Options... Connection Preference: set that to Wi-Fi Preferred... if it's set to Mobile Network Only it will never use Wifi, or Mobile Network Preferred it will use mobile over wifi.

Wifi will of course be faster than 3G, but otherwise no drawbacks or limitations.
    I went to MANAGE CONNECTIONS and then to MOBILE NETWORK OPTIONS but on the 9700 OS, there isn't a box for WIFI PREFERRED.

It has an option for MOBILE NETWORK which is set to my mobile carrier.

Below that is NETWORK SELECTION MODE which is set to automatic, with the other option being manual. When I select manual it scans for all the different mobile networks avaialble in the area, but is not connected to wifi.

Where can I find this WIFI PREFERRED SETTING?
    04-11-10 03:51 PM
    The only way to ensure that the device is using Wifi only is to turn off Mobile Network. The devices are set up to run through the carriers proxy server thus still charging for data although Wifi is on. This isn't the case with carriers that utilize UMA, but for those that don't, this is the only way.
    04-11-10 03:54 PM
    The only way to ensure that the device is using Wifi only is to turn off Mobile Network. The devices are set up to run through the carriers proxy server thus still charging for data although Wifi is on. This isn't the case with carriers that utilize UMA, but for those that don't, this is the only way.
    But that means that the only way to really benefit from Wifi is to lose the benefit of having a functioning phone (which some people still use their devices for).

There has to be a better way, no?
    04-11-10 04:00 PM
    I will have to test this because I never turn my mobile network off while on wifi and my data usage doesn't go up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-10 05:23 PM
    I went to MANAGE CONNECTIONS and then to MOBILE NETWORK OPTIONS but on the 9700 OS, there isn't a box for WIFI PREFERRED.

It has an option for MOBILE NETWORK which is set to my mobile carrier.

Below that is NETWORK SELECTION MODE which is set to automatic, with the other option being manual. When I select manual it scans for all the different mobile networks avaialble in the area, but is not connected to wifi.

Where can I find this WIFI PREFERRED SETTING?
    You won't have the 'Wifi Preferred' option if your carrier doesn't support UMA.
    If you added your carrier name to your profile details, we wouldn't have to guess
    04-11-10 06:14 PM
    Its. There. Look again. Manage connections>mobile network options

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-11-10 09:45 PM
    Its. There. Look again. Manage connections>mobile network options
    It won't be there if his carrier doesn't support UMA.
    04-11-10 09:58 PM
    It won't be there if his carrier doesn't support UMA.
    Phill is right. I do not have that option either. Only for carriers that support UMA

04-11-10 10:04 PM
    You won't have the 'Wifi Preferred' option if your carrier doesn't support UMA.
    If you added your carrier name to your profile details, we wouldn't have to guess
    Sorry, wasn't trying to be mysterious or anything.

I'm on the orange network, in Israel.

It just doesn't make sense to me that the only way to have data run through the wifi is to shut down the mobile network, and basically disable the phone. If that's the case, what's the point of having wifi on the phone in the first place?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    04-12-10 12:40 AM
    I will have to test this because I never turn my mobile network off while on wifi and my data usage doesn't go up.

Please let us know what you discover.

Thanks.
    04-12-10 12:41 AM
    I think I may have found a solution (on the BOLD 9700, at least).

OPTIONS ---> MOBILE NETWORK ---> DATA SERVICES ---> OFF.

Under this setting one is still able to make / receive phone calls.

However, if one tries to use anything requiring data (such as browsing) one gets the following message:

"Data services are disabled. Go to Mobile networks to enable."

That being said, I have been told that even with Data Services enabled, as long as Wifi is connected, all data will go through wifi, but just in case that's not correct, this seems to be a workaround that ensures that all data is going through wifi, while keeping the phone itself functioning.
    04-12-10 01:10 AM
    I think I may have found a solution (on the BOLD 9700, at least).

OPTIONS ---> MOBILE NETWORK ---> DATA SERVICES ---> OFF.

Under this setting one is still able to make / receive phone calls.

However, if one tries to use anything requiring data (such as browsing) one gets the following message:

"Data services are disabled. Go to Mobile networks to enable."

That being said, I have been told that even with Data Services enabled, as long as Wifi is connected, all data will go through wifi, but just in case that's not correct, this seems to be a workaround that ensures that all data is going through wifi, while keeping the phone itself functioning.
    Hold that thought. I found that once you turn off DATA SERVICES, the wifi connections seems to get shutdown, along with the 3G.

Back to the drawing board.
    04-12-10 01:26 AM
    I also have the same question because i'm traveling with my BB and right now i turned off my MOBILE NETWORK but I'm scared of using Wifi because i dont know if im still going to be charged data on the Rogers network. When im on wifi and turned off MOBILE NETWORK, i can still receive emails and BBM, which means im still using Roger's BIS network?? Will I be charged this way?
    04-12-10 01:45 PM
    I had a similar question as I am on o2 in the uk and didnt want to exceed my fair usage policy

The o2 store told me that if you are connected to wifi all data will go through this instead of the mobile network and the data usage for this does not count as mobile usage.

as far as I can see from what i was told, using o2

Mobile Network - Unlimited with fair usage
    WiFi - Totally unlimited

To me it looks like access to the BIS servers is totally unlimited, but the carrier puts a limit on how much you can use over the mobile network
    04-12-10 04:21 PM
    I was told that there are certain apps that are programmed to use the data network, like facebook's app, and several IM clients. The "hotspot browser" defaults to WIFI, and I believe that the "media-net" browser defaults to using the data service. Be careful when using programs that rely strongly on data access, like music or video streaming apps. If you're not careful, lots of data usage can occur without your awareness.
    04-12-10 07:32 PM
    I have sucessfully been using network+wifi selected with wifi preferred.
    I get 3G and uma over Tmobile (usa). Recently however I found that youtube,
    accessed from the native browser, will NOT play videos when wifi
    is selected. Only over the tmobile network connection, which is likely
    to be much slower . And no warning messages, just a black screen.
    Isn't this an obvious case when you want wifi to work?? TMO guys?
    Other folks having the same issue?
    Should I make a standalone post on this?

Posted from my 9700 at wapforums.crackberry.com

04-12-10 10:58 PM
    When I'm downloading or browsing I notice the WIFI icon in the upper right corner. If that ever happens then I know for SURE that WIFI is being utilized. But a while back, I was downloading some podcasts (with WIFI enabled) and I noticed that sometimes the WIFI icon was there and sometimes it wouldn't be.

The podcasts were about 4mb each so of course I wanted to use WIFI. Not sure if it would still be using WIFI if the icon is not present. But after checking my data usage I noticed I was at around 240mb used and there is no way I would have gotten to that point by just browsing and watching youtube videos so I concluded that while I had the mobile network and WIFI enabled at the same time, it switched between the two.

Not positive why that would happen though but there are many theories going through my head right now. I actually took the step of disabling the mobile network while I downloaded the podcasts and that seemed to work... but of course that brings you back to your initial concern of disabling your phone.
    04-13-10 02:59 AM
    When I'm downloading or browsing I notice the WIFI icon in the upper right corner. If that ever happens then I know for SURE that WIFI is being utilized. But a while back, I was downloading some podcasts (with WIFI enabled) and I noticed that sometimes the WIFI icon was there and sometimes it wouldn't be.

The podcasts were about 4mb each so of course I wanted to use WIFI. Not sure if it would still be using WIFI if the icon is not present. But after checking my data usage I noticed I was at around 240mb used and there is no way I would have gotten to that point by just browsing and watching youtube videos so I concluded that while I had the mobile network and WIFI enabled at the same time, it switched between the two.

Not positive why that would happen though but there are many theories going through my head right now. I actually took the step of disabling the mobile network while I downloaded the podcasts and that seemed to work... but of course that brings you back to your initial concern of disabling your phone.
    So, it seems that the only way to be 100% of having all data usage go through wifi is to disable the mobile connection - meaning, no phone usage.

There really does need to be a solution to this.

Perhaps I am giving RIM too much vredit, but I can't imagine that they would create BB device with wifi that could only work when the phone was disabled!?!
    04-13-10 03:12 AM
    Well, I should also add that the *majority* of the time while browsing, watching videos and whatever else - the wifi icon does show. Just seems like it will switch between 3G and wifi sometimes.

04-13-10 10:56 AM
    Once Wifi connection is established and your Wifi icon goes white you will be connected to the BIS via wifi...for all data you will be using wifi. If you want to check that to be sure go to Manage Connections/Service Status. Under there when you are connected to Wifi the BIS Connections will show "Wifi", when you are not connected to Wifi the BIS Connection will show "Mobile Network". Hope this helps.
    04-13-10 11:04 AM
    So, it seems that the only way to be 100% of having all data usage go through wifi is to disable the mobile connection - meaning, no phone usage.

There really does need to be a solution to this.

Perhaps I am giving RIM too much vredit, but I can't imagine that they would create BB device with wifi that could only work when the phone was disabled!?!
    there is no need for any "solution"
    amazing how people manufacture so called "flaws"
    WiFi works EXACTLY as it was designed to ...
    SMH
    04-13-10 11:16 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD