Alright heres the scoop. I just got the 9700 and I can't get the WiFi to work at home. I've already set up the network on the phone and the wife icon is the dull gray. The phone recognizes the router and connects to it, but won't get the IP address.

What am I doing wrong?
    11-06-09 02:34 PM
    i will bet the problem is the service books.. what data plan are you on? the same thing happened to the storm on the bis data plan.. call your service provider and have them put you on the opposite plan once that happens reboot the phone and it should work in which case you need to contact rim through your service provider and have them fix the problem.. had the same issue with storm 2
    11-06-09 02:58 PM
    yea I thought it was something to do with the network, but right now I don't have a data plan, i'm in the time period when I'm waiting for the phone to get unlocked, and instead of having a paper weight I wanted to try it on the wifi. Why would something on the network effect the wifi?
    11-06-09 03:15 PM
    I am having the same WiFi issue. I have connected my BB to my network. My router can see my BB and my BB can see my network (shows the name).

BUT, there is no service at all. I can't connect to browser (Hotspot Browser) or send e-mails.

I used the code the BB generated in my router and all worked well, but no data transmition.

Any advice?
    11-16-09 10:46 PM
    i am having the same issue. I just got the phone from att and am trying to set up my home wifi account. the phone sees the wireless signal at i plugged in my wep key and it says connected. but when i go to the home screen, the wifi icon is grayed out.
    11-22-09 05:14 PM
    yea I thought it was something to do with the network, but right now I don't have a data plan, i'm in the time period when I'm waiting for the phone to get unlocked, and instead of having a paper weight I wanted to try it on the wifi. Why would something on the network effect the wifi?
    No Data plan means no White Wifi icon, just a dull grey one.

All you need is from your SSID of your router to show up on the home screen beside your carriers name, and for it to be security password accepted, and finally for your default browser to be set at "Hotspot Browser" and woila, you are in business.
    lsch-91 likes this.
    11-22-09 10:05 PM
    After much to-do, I found that Wiggler was correct.
    I have the Wifi working without the data plan on the Bold 9700.

I needed to access "Mobile Network" configuration in Settings and set "Data Services" and "While Roaming" to ON. (This is somewhat anti-intuitive since it appears that you are explicitly accepting the usage of a blackberry or phone company's data plan -- not true.)

It was once I made those changes above, that the phone was able to assign an IP address from my home router. (Before such time, the phone showed me indeed connected to the router, but it didn't actually assign an IP address.)

After I set the default browser "Hotspot Browser" in the "Browser Configuration" menu, I was pretty much set.

It's worth noting that the WiFi icon in the upper right hand corner is STILL gray, opposed to white as some others have claimed. (It turns white if you are actually using a data plan.)

Hope this helps someone.

Gideon.
    12-09-09 02:31 PM
    It's worth noting that the WiFi icon in the upper right hand corner is STILL gray, opposed to white as some others have claimed. (It turns white if you are actually using a data plan.)
    More precisely, it turns white if there is a SIM card in the phone with a BIS or BES dataplan on the account. The phone does not have to be switched on.
    12-10-09 07:33 AM

I needed to access "Mobile Network" configuration in Settings and set "Data Services" and "While Roaming" to ON.

After I set the default browser "Hotspot Browser" in the "Browser Configuration" menu, I was pretty much set.

Gideon.
    I have done the above steps on my 9700. I can not get wi-fi to work!! At the moment I have the data plan turned off with AT&T, so I can not get on the internet at all! I have called my internet provider and AT&T, they both say that it is not their problem to deal with.

My phone says I'm connected to my wireless router, and even my wireless router says my phone is connected to it. I just can't get my phone to open up an internet page!!

I'm at a loss at what to do. I know this subject is addressed many times, and I pretty sure I have followed every step in every message.

The message my phone gives is "unable to find the requested server".

Thanks for any help you can give me!!
    01-02-10 06:30 PM
    I'm having a similar problem. I can only get my BB to connect to my home wireless router via UMA after rebooting the router.

For a few weeks, I went would connect after rebooting and stay connected only for a few minutes before the connection was dropped. I read on another forum that if you change your router settings from dual B/G to G Only, the 9700 would stay connected. I tried this. Result - my 9700 stayed connected longer. However, if I leave my home and come back, the BB does not automatically reconnect to via wifi.

Here are my stats:

Router:
    - Zoom ADSL X6 (yes, an off brand but it supports the 5 mixed platform laptops my family runs just fine)
    - Profile: 802.11g Only (see comment above)
    - Mac filtering on with BB mac address included in allowed list

BlackBerry:
    - Bold 9700 on T-Mobile
    - Data service and full BES service
    - Data services while roaming: On
    - Connection Preference: Wi-fi preferred
    - Network selection mode: Automatic

Frustrating...
    01-03-10 03:44 PM
    I'm having similar problems with WIFI on my BOLD 9700. No problem connecting to my access point but getting and maintaining the connection to BIS is very flaky. I have this problem everywhere except at AT&T hotspots, where WIFI works perfectly. Finally called AT&T tech support Tuesday and was informed that WIFI on AT&T branded 9700s will only work at AT&T hotspots, i.e. WIFI is locked down. As far as they are concerned my phone is functioning correctly. After hearing this I went to AT&T's website and looked at the BOLD 9700 specs and features, noting that there is absolutely no mention of WIFI connectivity anywhere in the BOLD 9700 description. From there I went to Blackberry's site and looked at their device info. They cite WIFI as a feature, but it's footnoted with the disclaimer that not all service providers support this feature.
    Last edited by tschlaef; 01-23-10 at 07:53 AM. Reason: changed site to cite
    01-14-10 09:37 PM
    I'm having similar problems with WIFI on my BOLD 9700. No problem connecting to my access point but getting and maintaining the connection to BIS is very flaky. I have this problem everywhere except at AT&T hotspots, where WIFI works perfectly. Finally called AT&T tech support Tuesday and was informed that WIFI on AT&T branded 9700s will only work at AT&T hotspots, i.e. WIFI is locked down. As far as they are concerned my phone is functioning correctly. After hearing this I went to AT&T's website and looked at the BOLD 9700 specs and features, noting that there is absolutely no mention of WIFI connectivity anywhere in the BOLD 9700 description. From there I went to Blackberry's site and looked at their device info. They site WIFI as a feature, but it's footnoted with the disclaimer that not all service providers support this feature.
    That is incorrect, I have my AT&T branded 9700 working with my home WiFi ever since I got it.
    01-22-10 02:36 PM
    That is incorrect, I have my AT&T branded 9700 working with my home WiFi ever since I got it.
    That's good news. I'm still trying to get mine working despite essentially being told that it won't by at&t. If I might ask, which operating system are you running. Thanks.
    -Tom
    01-23-10 07:51 AM
    That's good news. I'm still trying to get mine working despite essentially being told that it won't by at&t. If I might ask, which operating system are you running. Thanks.
    -Tom
    Sorry to hear that, I don't want to make you feel worse but I am posting this connected to my home WiFi.

I had started a thread about a problem a friend of mine was having and he posted what he had to do to correct it, it is on this forum, maybe that will help?

I have OS version .405, before I upgraded the WiFi still worked with .228(?)

Good luck!

EDIT: Found the thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/970...oblems-409657/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by charlyee; 01-23-10 at 09:09 AM.
    01-23-10 08:48 AM
    Sorry to hear that, I don't want to make you feel worse but I am posting this connected to my home WiFi.
    Not at all. The fact that yours works gives me hope that mine will also someday.

Thanks for the link. I'll reread it and make sure I've tried everything there. I've spent an enormous amount of time researching/troubleshooting this problem. The silver lining is that I know a lot more about BlackBerrys than I did a month ago.

BTW, I've had 3 different OSs on this phone, including .405, with no difference whatsoever with the wifi issue.
    01-23-10 12:10 PM
    Hi

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. I'm having the same problem connecting to my home WiFi router. Its name shows up green in the "manage connections" thing, but has a white "-" next to WiFi.

However, if I go to the mobile network options and change it from WiFi preferred to WiFi ONLY, it switches to UMA and works fine. How can I make it use UMA when available without switching it by hand?
    01-31-10 03:32 AM
    I too have problems with my wifi on 9700. I could get my wifi to work at home on my Bold 9700 but couldn't do it at the office . The ssid didn't even appear besides the word wifi on the wifi screen. Only "On" appears. The wifi works on my Bold 9000 at home and my office, all with the same settings. I am on BIS. Appreciate any help.
    02-19-10 01:53 AM
    I'm having a similar problem. I can only get my BB to connect to my home wireless router via UMA after rebooting the router.

For a few weeks, I went would connect after rebooting and stay connected only for a few minutes before the connection was dropped. I read on another forum that if you change your router settings from dual B/G to G Only, the 9700 would stay connected. I tried this. Result - my 9700 stayed connected longer. However, if I leave my home and come back, the BB does not automatically reconnect to via wifi.

Here are my stats:

Router:
    - Zoom ADSL X6 (yes, an off brand but it supports the 5 mixed platform laptops my family runs just fine)

BlackBerry:
    - Bold 9700 on T-Mobile

Frustrating...
    I have exactly the same setup and the same problem. Extremely frustrating. I have upgraded the Zoom ADSL X6 firmware to 5.0.8-70, but no luck either. My girlfriend's Android phone works perfectly, but my Bold 9700 disconnects as described above.

Any suggestions?
    02-26-10 04:51 AM
    Hey i got my blackberry 9700 with a data plan but still dont have a white logo wifi, but everything works find i can logg in all the pin to pn services and my blackberry messenger work fine, and alsdo my mail works just fine, whats the plus to have a white wifi logo can some one explain me,
    pd: My girldfriend have another bb 8520 and everytime shes close to a wifi the logo turns to white, but stil i wond see any diference

thanx
    03-04-10 11:02 AM
    try this one on for size, mine will go white at work and connect no problem, and at home connects but only gray so something is not tuned correctly just cant figure it out
    03-04-10 05:10 PM

Here are my stats:

Router:

BlackBerry:
    - Bold 9700 on T-Mobile

Frustrating...
    I am having a similar problem with my wife's 9700- mine connects and switches to UMA automatically and hers doesn't. Go figure. The 9700s were purchased same day, same everything as far as configurations go- I'm at a loss. Ideas?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-10 11:41 PM
    hope someone can provide a solution for a similar problem i have.

When I first got the 9700, I had the data plan, and after dropping the data plan, and i can't access the internet through wifi.
    I'm able to use uma for calls - uma shows up as lowercase & wifi is white. but using Hotspot Browser I get a communication failure error. With MSN live IM or Yahoo IM, I get a Connection Error 65. a few times wifi is gray when i try to use the browser after changing some settings to get it to work.

With Connection Error 65, RIM's online support suggests changing the APN, mine's currently set to default tmo.

I've tried changing browser, changing data services in Mobile Network, changing the router with port 4104. But nothing's working.

Does someone have a guide of setting up wifi for internet & IM, or a solution?

TIA
    03-06-10 12:56 PM
    i bought 9700, and i'm having huge trouble with the wife, I've talked to a few blackberry techs through rogers, and they are so stumped they want me to email diagnostics directly to rim... is this a factory bug? makes me really miss my 9000 bold.
    any ideas? help?
    06-09-10 07:59 PM
    i bought 9700, and i'm having huge trouble with the wife, I've talked to a few blackberry techs through rogers, and they are so stumped they want me to email diagnostics directly to rim... is this a factory bug? makes me really miss my 9000 bold.
    any ideas? help?
    Rogers techs will probably also tell you Rogers does not support BIS over Wi-Fi. I've been trying to resolve similar issue since May 27th. No luck yet...
    06-10-10 04:15 PM
    This may of course not be the problem that you are experiencing. My WiFi on my bold stopped working after having the phone for 4 months and just couldn't figure it out . Then this big light bulb went off in my head (it should've went off weeks ago!). I went into my WiFi options under saved profiles I found my router. I deleted my router from my phone and started fresh creating a new connection between my bold and the router. It has worked perfectly since.
    06-10-10 07:23 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD