First off, thank you Kevin for following up on my tweet and opening a separate sub-section for all other rumored devices.

I hope this thread will collect all info on the upcoming BOLD replacement, no matter how you call it.

At present the forums swarm with various names, like the title shows Pluto, Dakota, Magnum, 9900 - some of them discarded (like the Magnum), some of them rumored (like Dakota) but not confirmed (like Pluto), etc.

The thing though boils down to one thing - the BOLD 2 - the better, baddaz, super flagship model.

So, to kickoff the chit-chat, I will try to summarize what I have read so far:

* BOLD size factor
    * full QWERTY keyboard
    * touch-screen high-res
    * 512 MB device memory
    * improved battery
    * OS 5.1.* or even maybe 5.2.*
    * improved body feel - smaller cracks, tighter build, less places to collect dust
    * release date - 2009Q4-2010Q1

Using common sense, I eliminate the possibility for trackpad, as if the screen is touch - why would you need it?

All above I have collected as pieces of a puzzle, given that none of this can be verified, it could as well be all wrong.

Do I even need to ask who wants one?
    Last edited by defcon3; 08-19-09 at 11:17 AM.
    07-24-09 04:19 PM
    * touch-screen high-res???? That sounds like Storm to me...
    07-24-09 04:28 PM
    5.1 or 5.2? 5.0 doesn't come out till fall. Why would this have a newer version of something we are already anticipating? Makes no sense.
    07-24-09 04:29 PM
    The Strom came out with 4.7 while other devices were pending 4.6. A different OS for each different UI.
    07-24-09 04:33 PM
    I guess thats true but the Tour also shipped with 4.7. Which seems to me they are making new OS's both touch and non touch compatible.
    07-24-09 04:34 PM
    I think Kevin said something in the last podcast about the rumor of Dakota debuting with 5.2 OS.
    07-24-09 06:43 PM
    Well the project with touchscreen/keyboard was scraped. So it could have a trackball or pad. Kevin suggested that maybe an "atomic trackball" and/or other new technologies could have taken the place of the old project. Also, i dont see this coming out till Q1-Q2 2010 just because if it was this close to coming out we would have seen some leaked pictures.

Personally, i don't think the flagship blackberry should have a touchscreen. I would like to see some new trackball technology or a trackpad but for the ultimate business blackberry phone.....a touchscreen isn't as efficient.
    07-24-09 07:16 PM
    * touch-screen high-res???? That sounds like Storm to me...
    uhh u forgot QWERTY.. that doesn't sound like the storm to me
    07-24-09 07:49 PM
    First off, thank you Kevin for following up on my tweet and opening a separate sub-section for all other rumored devices.

I hope this thread will collect all info on the upcoming BOLD replacement, no matter how you call it.

At present the forums swarm with various names, like the title shows Pluto, Dakota, Magnum, 9900 - some of them discarded (like the Magnum), some of them rumored (like Dakota) but not confirmed (like Pluto), etc.

The thing though boils down to one thing - the BOLD 2 - the better, baddaz, super flagship model.

So, to kickoff the chit-chat, I will try to summarize what I have read so far:

* full QWERTY keyboard
    * touch-screen high-res
    * 512 MB device memory
    * improved battery
    * OS 5.1.* or even maybe 5.2.*
    * improved body feel - smaller cracks, tighter build, less places to collect dust
    * release date - 2009Q4-2010Q1

Using common sense, I eliminate the possibility for trackpad, as if the screen is touch - why would you need it?

All above I have collected as pieces of a puzzle, given that none of this can be verified, it could as well be all wrong.

Do I even need to ask who wants one?

Even if its a touch screen, a trackpad or trackball would still be needed as it allows additional navigation and support in various apps and games. Rim would be better served looking at the Palm Treo line and see what made this phone so successful and popular to this day with those features inspite of Palm's blunder and dropping the ball.

Well the project with touchscreen/keyboard was scraped. So it could have a trackball or pad. Kevin suggested that maybe an "atomic trackball" and/or other new technologies could have taken the place of the old project. Also, i dont see this coming out till Q1-Q2 2010 just because if it was this close to coming out we would have seen some leaked pictures.

Personally, i don't think the flagship blackberry should have a touchscreen. I would like to see some new trackball technology or a trackpad but for the ultimate business blackberry phone.....a touchscreen isn't as efficient.
    Believe me the hybrid touchscreen/qwerty keyboard in a candy bar form factor would make it the ultimate blackberry and give the best of both worlds. The Blackberry can be touch screen and still have a trackball/pad and be very efficient. Once again i would recommend anyone including rim who are having doubts about this to look at the Palm Treo which to this day is very efficient in spite of Palm's demise. RIM needs to start expanding and innovate with their products instead of continually coming out with the same BB rehashed. How many more of the same BB with the same os shaped differently can one take. Currently their is no Flagship Blackberrry. It used to be the Bold but now the Tour is out and has marginally better specs, the Onyx is supposed to be coming out and to me not much difference basically the Tour with wifi so a hybrid touchscreen/qwerty phone like this could really differentiate and become the flagship BB device. Great opportunity for RIM to do this.
    07-24-09 08:31 PM
    512 MB device memory

that is not flagship quality ! sorry how about 2 gig
    and compatible with 32 gig plus

camera should be 5-8 mega pixel

RIM has to stop being cheap and give consumers good quality
    stuff ahead of the market.
    07-24-09 09:29 PM
    I agree. They should come out with a blackberry that rivals the T-Mobile Wing 2! Now that would be sick.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 09:29 PM
    Even if its a touch screen, a trackpad or trackball would still be needed as it allows additional navigation and support in various apps and games. Rim would be better served looking at the Palm Treo line and see what made this phone so successful and popular to this day with those features inspite of Palm's blunder and dropping the ball.
    The Treo also used a stylus, as it was not "finger-friendly". With the small screen size that a full qwerty touch screen device would likely have, navigation would be clumsy without a stylus (absent a complete UI overhaul). And a stylus on a Blackberry device would be a non-starter for me.
    07-24-09 10:08 PM
    Why not make the phone the exact same as the bold but just with a touchscreen as well? And then just do a little os clean up

07-24-09 11:38 PM
    i really don't understand the fascination with touchscreens. I agree that it could very easily make the phone clumsy. Anyways, I'm sure whatever RIM is doing will good, but i don't think a touchscreen is a necessary step and i'm sure RIM can do some innovate and interesting upgrades without it. If, however, they include a touchscreen then they must do it tastefully because many of us business/consumer users might lose that speed and efficiency we are used to. If they can maintain the speed of the bold with a touchscreen then I'm fine with that, but if its anything like the storm touchscreen then no thanks. I can navigate/type twice as fast on my bold compared to a storm.
    07-24-09 11:51 PM
    i really don't understand the fascination with touchscreens. I agree that it could very easily make the phone clumsy. Anyways, I'm sure whatever RIM is doing will good..................
    I believe that eveyone here needs to have faith in the product and company that they love.....RIM is definitally looking toward the future......I am sure if they come out with a Touch/Qwerty device that it will be tried and true......

I am in the same boat though, I don't get the whole touch screen craze....from time to time your device gets dropped and that is one more thing that could potentially ruin your device....if you drop it and you get a crack in your screen.... you can't use it while waiting for a new one.....so big deal right.....what about the software.....any issues could render the thing useless......I don't know......I am just not a fan of it......I prefer the track pad/ball and a brilliant screen over a touch any day......
    07-25-09 10:09 AM
    Since RIM signature is already the full Qwerty Keyboard keep it simple.
    With trackpad or trackwheel no trackball please...

And improve the OS like 10 times more efficient than 4.6 that should do the trick.
    07-25-09 10:35 AM
    I would never use a full touch-screen over a full QWERTY, but I do see the advantages of having a device with both. Some tasks are laborious using the trackball, and while not enough to ever make me want to go touch screen only, I do think having a combo-device would help some of us with productivity
    07-25-09 10:55 AM
    Since this is based on rumor and opinions I will share mine. First let me state, I own an iphone, a Nokia 5800, a BOLD, an 8900, and a Nokia E71. The iphone I gave to my wife I got tired of it in about 2 months. I like having more control of what I can do on my cell phone, just like my personal computer. But that is not to say it is not a good device, because it is. The UI of the iphone is so fluid in movement it is an awesome feat of technology The Nokia 5800 has a High Def. screen 16:9 aspect ratio which is the nicest screen I have ever seen on a phone. It also has stereo sound, which my unit will rival an ipod. It is too small, for true finger manipulation, a stylus is needed (especially with my big hands). The Nokia E71 has the build quality that tops out all other phones (imho) it is made of steel and is a tight compact unit. The keys are small but have good tactile feel, another good phone. The BB 8900 is a great little phone I have updated it to the latest o/s, I have gone in and unlocked some themes I prefer, gotten rid of things I don't need. I have done the same with my BOLD.

Based on what I have experienced with my own devices, cruising the web forums on smart phones it is time for RIM or someone to think out of the box. If you want to stay competitive in the market place you need to give the consumer what they want. It doesn't matter what statistics say that more Blackberrys were sold than any other phone. Statistics can be manipulated to say what ever you want them to say. What counts is money in the pocket when you get down to facts. I am not dedicated to any smart phone company, I go where my money will buy me the phone I want with the build I want. It is not a matter if I can get my head around a touchscreen or not it is making money to stay afloat and profit, bottom line.

Give the people a High Def. screen, lots of Ram (gigs), removable battery, ABILITY TO ADD MORE MEMORY, an operating system that we can get into to get rid of the garbage we don't need or want, High Resolution camera (5 to 8 gigs), High Quality sound (stereo), Full Qwerty keyboard, and a smooth transition touchscreen, support and o/s updates on a steady basis. Give the consumer (business and recreational) the best of both worlds you will sell units. Everyone wants an iphone that works like a Blackberry. I gave my Treo to a friends daughter, great workhorse machine. A fine example of a great smart phone, just get rid of the stylus. The platform is there right in front of our eyes, but we are blind and can not see.
    Thanks
    07-25-09 11:17 AM
    Give the people a High Def. screen, lots of Ram (gigs), removable battery, ABILITY TO ADD MORE MEMORY, an operating system that we can get into to get rid of the garbage we don't need or want, High Resolution camera (5 to 8 gigs), High Quality sound (stereo), Full Qwerty keyboard, and a smooth transition touchscreen, support and o/s updates on a steady basis. Give the consumer (business and recreational) the best of both worlds you will sell units. Everyone wants an iphone that works like a Blackberry. I gave my Treo to a friends daughter, great workhorse machine. A fine example of a great smart phone, just get rid of the stylus. The platform is there right in front of our eyes, but we are blind and can not see.
    Thanks
    Dont EVER count on expandable memory inside the device. Keep in mind opening it voids your warranty. Also, being able to add memory, means you can remove said memory. There goes all your security. I agree that more is needed (have the Bold memory be 1.2gb of total device memory for instance plus the external expandable memory). The Tour and the Storm have fantastic sound quality already. Upping the screen to HD would be nice, but not necessary (better screen = worse battery). OS updates ARE on a regular basis. There are several updates per year. Higher MP cameras are coming, but MP doesnt really mean anything past 3.0. We need better optics, not more MP
    07-25-09 11:31 AM
    The ram of the BOLD would be enough. The "expandable memory", I guess I should have stated "external expandable memory" as that was what I am referring to. When I speak of going into the system I don't mean breaking open the unit itself I mean o/s. I know people (such as my wife) that like to watch videos and listen to music on their phone. Making an all-around machine multi-media and work is completely doable. I agree an all touchscreen unit gets boring, but there are times I wish my BOLD had a touchscreen also. Updates yea we get updates but no real significant improvements, we get tidbits. That's not just RIM but from the other makers also. As far as the camera I agree, better optics so what are they waiting on and build the firmware to support them. As long as the battery last all day, I can charge it at night. It is all there (technology) someone just has to put it all together in one package (we can put in our pockets), slap a label on it, support it, and it will sell.
    Thanks
    07-25-09 12:33 PM
    I agree with the people here saying that a touchscreen could hinder power users but at the same time you gotta think: RIM has to change things up...I mean, they cannot just keep on doing the same QWERTY/trackball/pad thing for years to come. Its gonna get old, I feel. If they totally overhauled the OS, then sure they can get a few more years out of the Tour/Bold styling but come on, RIM, INNOVATE!

07-25-09 02:06 PM
    i dont like the touch screen and ball idea cuz i can see myself scrolling up and hitting the bottom of the screen everytime...
    07-25-09 04:19 PM
    Don't worry about having to scroll the trackball/trackpad and touching the touchscreen.
    07-25-09 04:33 PM
    i rather just have a trackball or trackpad depending on which one they stick with.
    07-26-09 01:06 AM
    Stay on topic, fellaz

The question is not about if touch is cool or not - the fact is, there have been leaks on such a device that will feature full qwerty AND touchscreen. And this is what we are covering in this thread
    07-26-09 02:19 AM
121 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD