Boeing to Jump into the Mobile Phone Business - BlogThe Boeing Co. is developing a mobile phone based on the Android operating system that will compete with other manufacturers offering highly secure communication devices, company officials said April 10.

Roger Krone, president of Boeing Network and Space Systems, told reporters in Arlington, Va., that this was probably the first time the aerospace and defense industry giant will offer a communication device designed to use cellular networks.

The company is near the end of the development cycle and getting ready to launch what he called the Boeing phone in late 2012, said Brian Palma, vice president of the companys secure infrastructure group.

Competitors offering similar secure, encrypted devices are charging $15,000 to $20,000 per device and are using proprietary software and hardware, Palma said.

We are going to drive down towards a lower price point, but not mass-market price point, he said referring to iPhones, BlackBerries and other consumer market smartphones.

We believe that there is significant interest in the defense side as well as the intelligence side and in the commercial world as well, Palma said.

Boeing sees a larger business trend where employees once went to work to take advantage of information technology because it was far superior to what they had at home. Nowadays, it is the opposite. The consumer products have outstripped the office IT, and they wonder why their work has far less robust computers and phones.

This is why an Android-based system was chosen. The users of these high-end phones want the same ability to use popular applications while knowing that their business communications are secure, Palma said. The company also sees opportunities for the phone in the emergency responder market.

The phone will give them what they are used to seeing [on consumer market smartphones] and give them the functionality from the security perspective, Krone added.

We are all living off this thing, Krone said while holding up his smartphone. And were not going back. In fact the next one I have is going to be thinner, smaller and have more capability.

Whether the Boeing phone will carry the companys brand name has not been decided, Krone said. Palma also declined to reveal Boeings partners in the program.
    04-12-12 12:05 PM
    $15,000 to $20,000 each and a Droid no less..Ouch!

Tim
    04-12-12 12:06 PM
    $15,000 to $20,000 each and a Droid no less..Ouch!

Tim
    Where does it say that the $15-$20k devices (the competitions devices, not boeing) are using Android? It just says proprietary software and hardware. It talks about Boeing using Android for their devices and pricing it lower than the competition.

Interesting though. I never thought I would hear about Boeing in the phone market.
    04-12-12 12:17 PM
    It will likely compete with the SMPED devices (Sectera Edge etc). These devices can easily cost several thousands of dollars.
    04-12-12 12:24 PM
    You'll have to be as high as a kite (Boeing) to spend that much on a phone !
    04-12-12 12:24 PM
    Wht do you do when 500 dollar Blackberry is not secure enough?

You buy 5000-10000 dollar Android ofcorse!
    04-12-12 12:37 PM
    Taking action on how long until somebody roots it. I say 14 hours.

NSA is working on a custom version of Android that adheres to the same standards as the Sectera Edge. It wont be rootable.
    avt123 likes this.
    04-12-12 12:52 PM
    Taking action on how long until somebody roots it. I say 14 hours.
    Just because it is Android doesn't mean it is easy to root. It will have a highly secure kernel and the overall security of Android will be much better than what you can buy on the market right now.

You can customize Android to your liking. This means making it extremely hackable, or bulletproof.
    04-12-12 02:29 PM
    Well, that is certainly interesting, but it sounds as though this will not be for Customer Purchase. I hope they build a competent phone.
    04-12-12 03:50 PM
    Can you use the phone during landing and take off?
    04-12-12 08:43 PM
    Can you use the phone during landing and take off?
    I used mine when in mexico and didn't give a crap what air canada said. Lol
    04-12-12 11:30 PM
    Boeing to Jump into the Mobile Phone Business - BlogThe Boeing Co. is developing a mobile phone based on the Android operating system that will compete with other manufacturers offering highly secure communication devices, company officials said April 10.

Roger Krone, president of Boeing Network and Space Systems, told reporters in Arlington, Va., that this was probably the first time the aerospace and defense industry giant will offer a communication device designed to use cellular networks.

The company is near the end of the development cycle and getting ready to launch what he called the Boeing phone in late 2012, said Brian Palma, vice president of the companys secure infrastructure group.

Competitors offering similar secure, encrypted devices are charging $15,000 to $20,000 per device and are using proprietary software and hardware, Palma said.

We are going to drive down towards a lower price point, but not mass-market price point, he said referring to iPhones, BlackBerries and other consumer market smartphones.

We believe that there is significant interest in the defense side as well as the intelligence side and in the commercial world as well, Palma said.

Boeing sees a larger business trend where employees once went to work to take advantage of information technology because it was far superior to what they had at home. Nowadays, it is the opposite. The consumer products have outstripped the office IT, and they wonder why their work has far less robust computers and phones.

This is why an Android-based system was chosen. The users of these high-end phones want the same ability to use popular applications while knowing that their business communications are secure, Palma said. The company also sees opportunities for the phone in the emergency responder market.

The phone will give them what they are used to seeing [on consumer market smartphones] and give them the functionality from the security perspective, Krone added.

We are all living off this thing, Krone said while holding up his smartphone. And were not going back. In fact the next one I have is going to be thinner, smaller and have more capability.

Whether the Boeing phone will carry the companys brand name has not been decided, Krone said. Palma also declined to reveal Boeings partners in the program.
    This is very interesting news, thankssharing. for
    04-13-12 10:56 AM
    Boeing making phones..well why not...they are not making money selling planes. Maybe Nokia should exit the mobile phone market and make planes now.
    04-13-12 04:03 PM
    Boeing making phones..well why not...they are not making money selling planes. Maybe Nokia should exit the mobile phone market and make planes now.
    http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/blog/fedbiz_daily/2012/01/boeing-profit-rises-20-percent-in.html
    wuulfy and glassofpinot like this.
    04-13-12 05:17 PM
    It wont be rootable.
    i`ll take that bet. nothing is infalible.
    that said however, NSA phones and devices like this wont ever see the `consumer` market so i doubt anyone would even consider attempting to.
    04-13-12 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD