Hi All,

I'm due an upgrade from my Bold 9700.

I really like the idea of an iPhone but I love the BBM application too much and it's really the only thing keeping me with BB (I would go for a Torch 9800).

Does anyone know of a way to keep BBM whether it be on the iPhone or by paying for a cheap BBM only package or something similar?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
    Amnesia
    12-13-11 02:07 PM
    Nope BBM is EXCLUSIVE to the Blackberry line.
    12-13-11 02:12 PM
    SOME! depending on your carrier have been able to Keep BBM on a wifi only device while using a NON BBM phone as their primary phone.

I know one Rogers user who had a Windows Mobile phone purchased off contract, and used their BB Data Plan, they got all the access they needed with the WinMo phone, AND their Wifi enabled BlackBerry could still BBM.

that is the only option you MAY have but it MAY not work
    12-13-11 02:39 PM
    There's a few videos on youtube explaining how to use BBM on an iPhone.

I don't know anyone on BlackBerry anymore so I now use Live Profile. As good as BBM for chatting and it works on Android, BlackBerry and iPhone.
    12-13-11 02:50 PM
    YouTube - BBM For iPhone
    12-13-11 02:53 PM
    Chrisy, I know you're trying to help, but really? Did you watch any of the videos you linked to?

You can see that it's a text message contact within BBM. You can see the little phone next to the "iPhone" chat. Also, I know you haven't used BBM for a while, but do you ever recall seeing a character count when using BBM?

Watch this
    12-13-11 03:07 PM
    Yeah, I'm using BBM now with a few folks on CrackBerry. I didn't say whether the videos were real or no. I don't know. It's just an option to look at. The OP can investigate further if they want.
    12-13-11 03:32 PM
    yeah its def fake.
    I use Google talk also to communicate with other friends that left blackberry.
    its not bad, basically a copy of BBM with the exception of security and
    delivery confirmations.
    also if you wanna keep your BBM why not keep the Blackberry and get an ipod
    no offence to iphone owners cause its a great product, but ipod+basic phone= iphone4
    12-13-11 03:59 PM
    There's a few videos on youtube explaining how to use BBM on an iPhone.
    Either way, not very nice to post stuff that you don't know whether or not it's actually true...

It's standard text messaging within BBM, all the usual messaging rates apply, and it doesn't have even close to the number of features that BBM has.
    12-13-11 03:59 PM
    The third party apps such as pingme (phone number registration, no signing up needed), pingchat, kik, whatsapp, are great for cross-platform chat.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-13-11 04:09 PM
    Yeah, Google Voice is good for cross platform texting too. Uses data. You can also send pics using Google Voice from your email to someones phone without email. but not receive that way. But using Google Voice requires you to give out a new number. Sames me $20 a month though.
    12-13-11 04:21 PM
    The third party apps such as pingme (phone number registration, no signing up needed), pingchat, kik, whatsapp, are great for cross-platform chat.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I use GroupMe. I was a member of a BBM group and moderated it and now that most of us have abandoned BBM, we deleted the group and use GroupMe. Same principle - you get a phone number assigned to the group and you text it. GroupMe has an app that you can use on BB or Android or iPhone where you use data rather than texts.

If you have Verizion, they offer a BBM plan only. I think it's about $10 a month.

Read about it here
    12-14-11 08:22 AM
    Carriers have data only options for BB. So you can pay $30/month to keep BBM.
    12-14-11 11:22 AM
    Yeah, Google Voice is good for cross platform texting too. Uses data. You can also send pics using Google Voice from your email to someones phone without email. but not receive that way. But using Google Voice requires you to give out a new number. Sames me $20 a month though.
    The problem with Google Voice is it's available North America only.
    12-14-11 12:52 PM
    I'm in North America. I don't care about those other countries.
    12-14-11 02:44 PM
    I'm in North America. I don't care about those other countries.
    Yeah but you texts are already free cross platform in US lol
    12-14-11 02:51 PM
    Yeah but you texts are already free cross platform in US lol
    Nope, only if you have an unlimited texting plan are they free. Verizon does have a $10/500 text plan that includes unlimited messaging to other Verizon customers though, not sure about other carriers.

Google Voice does the OP zero good anyway, their profile says they're on O2. All the other cross-platform IM apps would be much better anyway...
    12-14-11 03:03 PM
    Yeah. VZW charges $20 a month for a text plan. It's outrageous!
    12-14-11 03:07 PM
    Can't get BBM on an iPhone or an Android device. Videos from YT all show using the texting via BBM to communicate with other devices.

Not sure about the US, but in Canada you pay for all incoming and outgoing texts so most carriers offer all inclusive packages, even on PAYG accounts you can pay a flat fee to text until your heart is content.
    12-14-11 03:19 PM
    Well, I didn't mean free free, I meant free from extra charges that you get with international sms. That's where the I M apps come in.
    12-14-11 03:24 PM
    Yeah. Messaging is a rip in my opinion.
    12-14-11 03:26 PM
    Yeah. Messaging is a rip in my opinion.
    They do have their place though, sms can be sent without a data connection, I don't know about cdma but sms can be sent on gsm, no need for data plan or data connection. There are still some remote places that data hasn't made it to, mountains for example.
    12-14-11 03:36 PM
    In the early days we figured out sms went trough service centers and if we used services centers from a different country we got sms for free, lasted a couple of years before the carriers found a way to charge anyway I'm talking around 1996-1997
    12-14-11 03:41 PM
    And there are a number of good apps in the Market that will allow texting for free. I'm not sure what the iPhone options are.

I pay $30 a month for five lines to have unlimited texting. I think we text so much in this family and totally neglect our phones to actually call people. We dropped down to 700 minutes a month and we're still sitting with almost 4000 rollover minutes.
    12-14-11 08:22 PM
    Messaging is dirt cheap if you have a family plan. 3 Lines $30 Family Unlimited Texting. Can have up to five phones on one family plan, IIRC. It's dirt cheap, in the grand scheme of things. Also, if you're like me and send like $2k texts per month to people using various smartphone platforms it's totally worth it.

Even at $0.02 per text, 2k texts is $40. Unlimited SMS is cheap for those who use it. On a family plan it's a no-brainer. Even with 2 phones you start saving money by using Family Unlimited Texting instead of trying to pinny pinch in many cases.

IM services are great if almost everyone you know uses them and actually uses them, not just has an account with it. That is not the case for me. SMS/MMS is superior, especially with the newer smartphones somehow being able to send rather high resolution images and video (not that 240*120 crap on older phones) via MMS...

I had one conversation yesterday over SMS and it was like 250 messages (Sent+Recieved) with images involved (no, I wasn't sexing - before someone jumps on that :P).

The only time I have an issue with SMS is when International texting is involved, but that is not a huge issue for me because I don't do that - I do recognize it's an issue for others, though.

iOS5 devices have iMessage, which is practically equivalent to BBM...

For those who don't want that, they can use something like WhatsApp. I just don't like how rubbish their WP7 app is... The Android/iOS/BB apps are nice, though...
    12-14-11 08:52 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD