I was comparing the TomTom and Garmin navigation units today. They seem pretty similar. I'm wondering what everybody's opinions are regarding using these instead of Google Maps or something similar on my BlackBerry for navigation while driving. (Or TeleNav? I think I heard good things about that one.)

Essentially, I like the idea of using my 8830 for navigation because then I won't need to buy a third party nav unit, but the screen is a bit small for doing so. I doubt anybody makes a bluetooth GPS display that would basically just enlarge the image on my BlackBerry, so no luck there. I guess I'm just curious what everybody else does for BlackBerry-based GPS navigation in the car. Any good ideas for displaying real-time traffic updates? I'm not sure where to begin with this whole concept.
    05-28-08 07:47 PM
    I have tried using the BB and prefer the dedicated navigation. I have used multiple versions of the garmins and they provide traffic updates. They will also interface to your phone so you have access to your phone book via the Nav device. The PNDs will tell you which street to turn onto by name.

If you have any specific questions on the garmin devices let me know and I will see if I can answer them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-08 11:21 PM
    I use a Garmin c550 as my Car Nav unit. The 8310 can be used to find an address AFTER parking the car, especially in a city environment.
    06-13-08 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD