Has anyone gotten their storm to act as modem through bluetooth? Did you have to download drivers or a new version of AccessConnections?
    11-21-08 03:39 PM
    I have been working on it, but have been unsuccessful. i have a kensignton mini on a vista business laptop. I also have the devices paired with DUN enabled on the storm. whenever i try to add the device to VZAM, (33.6k) i get the msg, "no bluetooth device was found on this system". has anyone got past this point yet?

i have tried using both the kensington dun and windows dun w/ 777, but fail to connect.

sideone
    11-23-08 01:55 AM
    I have a MacBookPro laptop and i'm wondering if I can use bluetooth as a wireless modem for my laptop.

will it work?
    11-23-08 01:56 AM
    I recall having to have vzw activate something (which I was charged for) to use my 8830 as a modem for my laptop. Perhaps it's the same for the storm?
    11-23-08 01:56 AM
    To use it as a modem you're going to have to add the tethering feature to your account for the 5GB limit be it BT or hard tether.
    11-23-08 01:58 AM
    Does the 5GB tether cost anything? and is 5gb a lot, or not?
    11-23-08 02:00 AM
    5GB is a ton. It covers most normal usage. That being said...alot of folks on this site will say it's not because well, we are what we are. Depending on your plan I think the Blackberry tether plan is like 15 or 20.
    11-23-08 02:02 AM
    Ok, thanks.

does anyone know if I can activate that plan for 1 month only (since i'm gonna be in palm desert for thanksgiving for 5 days(end of november month) and i don't think my MacBookPro gets internet there... so could I activate the tethering just for the time i'm there and than de-activate it?

just wondering, thanks!

oh and my question still stands on if it works with Macs
    11-23-08 02:04 AM
    Tethering is just a feature. And the data stuff with Verizon you'll be able to add/remove at any time (aside from the 29.99 BIS) or international plans unlike some of the other guys who offer international data roaming.
    11-23-08 02:07 AM
    paid the extra 15/mo for activation, as i already have bes. Doesnt seem to help the bluetooth connection to the bbs (blackberry storm).

s1
    I'd check where you were going for EVDO coverage on VZW.com coverage map because if it's just 1x area you'll get dial up speeds.
    paid the extra 15/mo for activation, as i already have bes. Doesnt seem to help the bluetooth connection to the bbs (blackberry storm).

s1
    That I wish I could help with, but I have never tethered using BT, just the old fashioned boy end into girl end way.
    11-23-08 02:08 AM
    I think i have good coverage there. My voyager usually has full signal at our house there... we just don't use it enough to put full internet there and its at a country club, but I don't have the password to the club internet...

I'll wait and see what happens when i get there and if i need it, i'll activate the tethering plan for the time i'm there and than stop it.

thanks for the info guys!
    11-23-08 02:10 AM
    Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless

Even if you have coverage I'd double check to make sure it's EVDO coverage.
    11-23-08 02:11 AM
    I check that just now, and everything looks good. But how do i make sure its EVDO(3g)?
    11-23-08 02:14 AM
    Click on the "broadband-Vcast" radial. Anywhere on the map that is blue is EVDO.
    11-23-08 02:18 AM
    I'm good than. Everywhere in the Palm Desert is blue.

thanks for the info and the service location tracker
    11-23-08 02:37 AM
    No worries, good luck with the tether.
    11-23-08 02:38 AM
    I actually have gotten my storm to connect to the net via bluetooth tether. What i have done is connected from the computer and when into the device and looked to see what it was that the device offered, I then clicked on the dial up network in the bluetooth options... I used the #777 number and I am connected to the net. I am now typing on that connection....

My wonder is weather or not the storm can tether via hardline.. if anybody can let me know that would help..
    11-23-08 12:51 PM
    I actually have gotten my storm to connect to the net via bluetooth tether. What i have done is connected from the computer and when into the device and looked to see what it was that the device offered, I then clicked on the dial up network in the bluetooth options... I used the #777 number and I am connected to the net. I am now typing on that connection....

My wonder is weather or not the storm can tether via hardline.. if anybody can let me know that would help..

did you have to enter in a username and password? i'm trying to setup my tomtom gps to connect to my storm to use it to get traffic services via wireless data
    11-26-08 11:13 AM
    no i didnt have to put in any username or password... i have put in the properties of the connection to just connect and tell me the status. i also had to use vz access manager to use the tethered line finally... i have tried to use it with out the vz Access and it didn't recognize it.....
    11-26-08 11:18 PM
    crackberry has an app that is soppose to allow the user to tether to the blackberry storm using the phone's media package
    *****NO TERTHER FEE******
    i have not tried it yet but it's in the app store key word tether
    10-08-09 05:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD