i was looking on ebay for a new bluetooth headset and saw someone selling bluetooth spyware? wth, does that really work and wouldnt it be illegal? does anyone know anything about it? or has anyone ever used it?
    i came close to buying it(only $4) just to see what it really does, but i got worried about it being illegal? anyone know anything about it, and how can i prevent myself from being the victim of bluetooth spying?
    12-31-07 01:46 PM
    Even if you get it, it won't work to spy on a BB.
    12-31-07 02:09 PM
    thats good cause i have a BB i dont want to be spyed on...... but how does it actually work and what does it do?
    12-31-07 02:14 PM
    I've never tried it. Best way to keep from being spied on is to keep your device out of discoverable mode.
    12-31-07 02:51 PM
    how does my headset find me even when i have discoverable turned off? or is my phone finding the headset?
    12-31-07 05:30 PM
    The phone finds the headset. Once the two are paired then it's all automatic.

Also, the phone doesn't need to be set to "discoverable" when pairing a headset.
    12-31-07 05:57 PM
    HUH i never heard of this...
    01-11-08 02:53 AM
    aton.amen, try it. Setup a 'pair' with your Bluetooth headset and your BlackBerry, then change the option for discoverable to 'no'...

Turn your headset off, and back on, then reconnect to your BlackBerry, it will find it. But, any other Bluetooth device doing a search will NOT see your BlackBerry...

Security at it's finest...
    01-11-08 07:44 AM
    its actually legal to blast messages via bluetooth in the UK, apparently its a form of free speech. Also bluetooth is limited to very specific applications on the blackberry, and *requires* that you put in the bluetooth PIN number.
    01-11-08 09:12 PM
    I looked though the threads here and at least part of the conversation here seems relevant.

If I've paired my bb8830 with my Tomtom920 and with some XX Model earphone, can anyone with those same devices use/link/pair/whatever to MY BB or is there some other "security" or pairing/coding that was involved initially. If my phone is on and in my pocket and someone has the same model XX earphone can they dial my phone? Can another Tomtom920 copy my contact list?

Should I turn off "discoverable" unless I'm pairing some new device?

What have I failed to ask in this same vein? (g)

Thanks in advance.
    01-22-08 08:19 PM
    in a word - no

think of it like this...

when you put a key in a door, the key has a special configuration (the notches) and the door has a special configuration (the tumblers in the lock). Well when you pair two devices its like having that key specially made for your lock.

Your phone has a code, and your device has a code. When you pair the two, the code is shared between THOSE TWO DEVICES ONLY.

Given that BT is only good for up to 30 unobstructed feet, the likelyhood of someone actually having the time to try all the codes and pair with your phone is unlikely especially given your phone will want you to input wether you trust the device.

As far as your specifics of a headset and tomtom... the tom tom requires a pin, and most headsets and phones will only accept one headset/phone at one time.

hope this helps some as its only my 2nd post
    02-17-08 06:50 AM
    It looks like non-discoverable is the default; I hadn't altered the setting but that's how my Berry is set.

30 feet is the maximum range for everyday use. The signal is detectable at a longer range with the proper equipment. Regardless, 30 feet doesn't stop someone from electronically eavesdropping on conversations while you're at work, in the car, at home, etc. If you have sensitive business going on, don't be complacent - use a wired headset and reduce your risk.
    Last edited by korbas12; 04-12-08 at 05:57 PM.
    04-12-08 05:55 PM
    If your phone is set to non discoverable no one searching for bluetooth devices can find your phone. Even if you are using your headset and your bluetooth is on the discoverable is still off so no spying there.
    04-12-08 06:15 PM
    If your phone is set to non discoverable no one searching for bluetooth devices can find your phone. Even if you are using your headset and your bluetooth is on the discoverable is still off so no spying there.
    Is it possible to get the code for the other device and spoof it, as with a MAC address?
    04-12-08 06:21 PM
    You can find just about anything on ebay, illegal or not....
    04-12-08 06:26 PM
    I sometimes search for bluetooth devices on the subway ride in the mornings. With 50+ people on the car, it isn't unusual for me to detect 8-10 bluetooth devices. People tend to leave them in discoverable mode. I always thought it was carelessness, but maybe they thought they had to leave them discoverable to use them with their headsets. Not so, as has been pointed out.
    04-12-08 10:56 PM
    Either way, if someone wants to spy and could get you away from your phone for a minute, it wouldn't take but a few seconds to change the discoverable settings, get the BT code and then even if you change it back later, they've got the keys to listen to you at any time. This could be a problem in cutthroat office politics. Hmmm...

While this is unlikely to be a widespread trend, always make sure your devices are not in discoverable mode. Also, I don't mean to be incredibly obvious here, but never leave your Blackberry lying around.
    04-13-08 12:23 AM
    I have heard of Bluetooth and infrared key loggers that will pick up you keystokes. The box that is running the software will pick them up unbeknowst to you.

Alway make sure you set up a key when setting up a bluetooth keyboard..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-08 06:44 AM
    I have heard of Bluetooth and infrared key loggers that will pick up you keystokes. The box that is running the software will pick them up unbeknowst to you.

Alway make sure you set up a key when setting up a bluetooth keyboard..

04-13-08 06:51 AM
    Click this link to view a TV station's video from their investigation into the types of tracking/spyware/loggers that can be easily installed on any type of Cell Phone.

go to iiiwebdotnet , TSCM, News and Press

Click on "Cell Phone Spying"

Call 317-925-1496 with questions
    06-15-09 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD