Two questions...

Anyone know when the new law requiring you to wear a headset while talking on your cell phone goes into effect in CA...I think its sometime in July from what I've heard but I'm not sure.

Also, I have heard/seen a lot about the Blueant z9 and Jawbone headsets. Are there any others that you've used and been very happy with?
    Last edited by catalyst81; 05-29-08 at 07:11 PM.
    05-29-08 02:00 AM
    The headset law goes into effect on July 1, 2008. You must use a headset, wired or wireless while operating a motor vehicle.

As to part 2 of your question, I don't know.

Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-08 08:24 AM
    OK, I thought it was July 1st but I wasn't sure. Its actually one law I am ready for...people and cell phones on the road just do not mix.
    05-29-08 09:28 PM
    Doesn't have to be a headset it just has to be a handsfree device. So using the speakerphone counts. As to your other question I don't know either.
    05-30-08 12:08 PM
    Using the speakerphone may take a little bit of convincing the cop that you're using a handsfree device, especially if you are holding onto the phone while driving.
    Just my $0.02 worth.

06-05-08 12:03 PM
    Glad to see they are making handsfree in Ca. They should in all states. Too many stupid accidents happening. I spend a lot of time in Ca so I'm glad I heard about this!
    06-05-08 12:13 PM
    Yes - confirming the July 1st date. It's a "primary offense," meaning an officer can stop you for that violation alone.

You CA drivers beware starting 7/1. That date coincides with an always greater patrol presence around the 4th of July weekend. No handsfree = pulled over = free sniff for alcohol by officer = potential trouble.

Don't drink & drive; don't hold & talk.
    06-05-08 01:15 PM
    It's funny, here in Illinois there is the hands free law also, yet on quite a few occasions I'll see cops with the phone to their ears while driving. How comes they don't get a ticket?

06-07-08 09:51 PM
    I wonder about the legality of driving with a stereo headset....? I need to buy something pretty quick.
    06-08-08 07:55 PM
    It's funny, here in Illinois there is the hands free law also, yet on quite a few occasions I'll see cops with the phone to their ears while driving. How comes they don't get a ticket?

Professional courtesy. Cops (usually) don't write other LEOs tickets. Same thing goes for writing tickets to nurses, doctors, military personnel etc. As for the law, Chicago has a hands-free law but a lot of the suburbs don't and if they do it's only for people under 18, meaning if you're over 18 you can be talking on your cell while driving. It's best to check with your local law enforcement as each city is different and these laws are changing daily.

And you're right. In Chicago, you can be going 80 past a cop and he'll just smile and wave at you but the second he sees you talking on your cell, he'll pull you over!

Semper Fi,

~Marine39
    Last edited by Marine39; 06-08-08 at 10:02 PM.
    06-08-08 10:00 PM
    I wonder about the legality of driving with a stereo headset....? I need to buy something pretty quick.
    I don't know about CA, but here in IL it's illegal to drive with both ears covered/blocked/plugged/etc. I'm pretty sure it's the same in most states. It's a safety issue as you might not be able to hear emergency vehicles approaching.

Semper Fi,

~Marine39
    06-08-08 10:04 PM
    It's the same in CA - if you cover or plug both ears they believe it interferes with your ability to drive safely and you will get a ticket. Of course, if you turn your stereo up so loud it rattles body panels off the car next to you - illegal,but they rarely ticket.

I have no experience with Blueant, but I have a Jawbone 2.

1) Best sounding bluetooth earpiece ever -
    2) IF it fits right. Many people have trouble with it. My wife gave up and stole my Plantronics 510. So I now have the Jawbone

I want my Plantronics back. It fits better, is more comfortable, and the battery lasts 3 times longer.
    06-08-08 10:29 PM
    It's the same in CA - if you cover or plug both ears they believe it interferes with your ability to drive safely and you will get a ticket. Of course, if you turn your stereo up so loud it rattles body panels off the car next to you - illegal,but they rarely ticket.

2) IF it fits right. Many people have trouble with it. My wife gave up and stole my Plantronics 510. So I now have the Jawbone

I want my Plantronics back. It fits better, is more comfortable, and the battery lasts 3 times longer.
    06-08-08 10:34 PM

I have the z9 and Jawbone II I like both of them. The key with the JB II is getting the right earhook/earpiece fit. The fit is also important when wearing glasses or sunglasses. the z9 fits better with minimal adjusting. But, the JBII has better sound quality. I plan on getting the z9i - after checking the reviews on here and on other sites like CNET for comparison.
    JMO -so potential "flamers" - save it.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 06-08-08 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Additions
    06-08-08 10:44 PM
    My fiancee and I purchased the Motorola H681 yesterday. We're in CA and wanted to be prepared for July 1. The sales rep at the AT&T store kept pushing the Jawbone on us. But there was no way we were gonna spend over $100 each for Bluetooth. The H681 was half the price and sounds fine to us. It took me a second to fit mine in my ear securely but other than that, no complaints.

06-15-08 11:17 AM
    Since I have to carry a cellphone for work, I just got a Plantronics 650 - it works with my Curve AND my work cell at the same time - just answers whichever one is ringing (different ringtones come through the headset). I have dash mounts for both phones along with a bidirectional signal amplifier and external antenna on the Curve.

For outgoing, it will voice dial the last one used or you can just dial from the phone by hand (or press the voice dial button). It also charges from the Curve power station (mini USB adapter needed) that I got from blackberrysource.com along with the dash mount.

The audio is great (I drive a diesel van - so it is a NOISY environment) and it is comfortable to wear.

The only negative is it takes a fair amount of force to press the call button so I mostly use the buttons on the phone. That is allowed under the new CA law. They are just looking for drivers holding the phone up to their ear. There is a FAQ on the CHP & DMV websites.

06-25-08 09:05 AM
    The only negative is it takes a fair amount of force to press the call button so I mostly use the buttons on the phone. That is allowed under the new CA law. They are just looking for drivers holding the phone up to their ear. There is a FAQ on the CHP & DMV websites.
    Yup. Recent articles in local papers have clarified it too.

Here's the crazy part: IT'S PERFECTLY LEGAL TO TEXT WHILE DRIVING! Yup, holding the phone to your ear is illegal while holding it on your lap and using the keyboard is perfectly legal.

Brilliant legislation, just brilliant.

Basically, you can do whatever you want on the phone except hold it to your ear. Of course you could still get (and should get) pulled over for texting while driving because it falls under broader laws about driving in a dangerous manner (ie while reading, etc.), but the new law doesn't specifically cover it.

The especially idiotic thing is that one of motivations behind the legislation was a well publicized accident where a kid ran over and killed a couple as they were crossing the street. He told police that he was looking for a phone number on his cell phone. IOW, he wasn't holding it to his ear he was looking down at it and pushing buttons, which this new law doesn't address.
    06-25-08 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD