I've had my Pearl 8120 for a month now and want to pair it with a BT GPS receiver. Any info would be appreciated.
    - Unit name and manufacture
    - Pros. and Cons.
    - Price

Thanks!
    09-05-08 12:04 PM
    09-05-08 12:08 PM
    the CB store has 4 to choose from and there ratings. Which is best for you will depend on your needs.http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberry-gps-receivers.htm
    09-05-08 12:10 PM
    the CB store has 4 to choose from and there ratings. Which is best for you will depend on your needs.http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberry-gps-receivers.htm
    Visiting the store actually got this thread started. I was wondering if anyone out there owns one and if they could provide the pros. and cons.

Also, I just noticed the "Mapping and GPS" section so, hopefully this will get moved.
    09-05-08 12:25 PM
    I'm happy to move the thread for you.

I have the Freedom Keychain 2000. It comes with a car charger and a short USB-miniUSB cable for charging. It does not come with an AC adapter. It's quite small, about 1.5" by 1" by 0.5" with smoothly rounded edges and a small spring-loaded hook for attaching to a key ring. You can easily carry it in your pocket, but I tend to wear it clipped to a belt loop. It's matte black and people just assume it's some kind of dongle or pager if they notice it at all.

There's one operational issue you should consider. The puck requires a regular acknowledgement from the device it's paired with, or it assumes it's disconnected, goes into battery-saver mode, and drops the bluetooth connection. Google Maps is unable to provide this acknowledgement. Blackberry Maps can. So if you want to run Google Maps, it's necessary to start Blackberry Maps first, let it sync with the GPS, then exit it without closing it and start Google Maps. If you do this, Google Maps will run with no problem.

The Freedom Keychain 2000 is the only puck that I know has this operational constraint.
    09-05-08 02:05 PM
    While the freedom keychain gps does not come with an AC charger, I charge mine with my BB AC charger. It holds the charge for several hours.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-08 03:35 PM
    I just got my Keychain Freedom 2000 from the store here today, but a, having a problem. I pick it up fine on the bluetooth ( I have a T-mobile 8320 Curve), but can not find satellites. I am in a suburb of Tulsa, Ok. I sent in a trouble ticket to the company, but haven't heard back yet. Do any gurus have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

William
    09-05-08 08:01 PM
    What mapping app are you using it with? BBMaps? Google Maps? The puck requires a regular acknowledgement from the device, or it goes into battery-saver mode and drops the bluetooth connection. Google Maps is unable to provide this acknowledgement. Blackberry Maps can. So if you want to run Google Maps, it will be necessary to start Blackberry Maps first, let it sync with the GPS, then exit it without closing it and start Google Maps. If you do this, Google Maps will run with no problem. To use BlackBerry Maps, you have to select the Freedom Keychain as the GPS source in BBMaps / Options.
    09-05-08 10:55 PM
    I bought mine on ebay and works perfectly with my BB. I took the most expensive model because it works on 51 worldwide satellites. Less expensive model works on less satellites. Mine cost $95 with the shipping. The freedom keychain gps is a very good investment highly recommend. With 1 charge it last 9 hours. I use it with google maps or BB maps. If you need more info feel free to pin me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-08 12:29 AM
    iTrek M5. Fifty dollars shipped and handled made it a better deal than the freedom keychain. Workes great, comes with car charger and rubber case, you could attach it to the keychain if you wanted to. Great unit, never died on me and never had a problem with it.
    No cons whatsoever.
    09-06-08 06:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD