I have a Verizon BB Curve, and recently purchased a GlobalSat BT-368 Bluetooth GPS puck for my phone. I went with this puck as it is listed on Crackberry for accessories. I am running amAze, Google Maps, and a few golfing programs with the GPS puck. However, my BB doesn't always recognize the gps puck, yet it is 3 feet away from it. The puck shows satelite position, and the bluetooth is on. I have to sometimes reboot my entire phone to finally get the programs to activate the bluetooth and get to the gps.

is there a way to 'force' the phone to turn on and read the bluetooth puck? i can't seem to find any settings that would allow that...

Thanks,
    DDay
    05-18-09 04:12 PM
    in the bluetooth options > GPS device properties set trusted to "yes". if you open BB maps and initialize the GPS then close BB maps and open the other app they will usually see the GPS.
    05-23-09 12:51 AM
    You may also try:

Go into the Bluetooth application, find your gps, select it, do Properties and then REFRESH SERVICE LIST. That generally finds my Freedom when it does not seem to connect initially.
    05-23-09 09:23 AM
    Well, I'm on vacation, and it's still not working. THe blue led is flashing saying it's connected, but it's not showing up on the google maps or the golf program. I don't understand why it's either not recieving info from the GPS, or what the deal is. I tried both tips from above, but nothing.

any other ideas?
    06-15-09 03:59 PM
    Did you go to the menu in google maps and click on bluetooth GPS?
    06-15-09 04:11 PM
    yes, all the settings are set for the blue tooth gps. on the phone, google maps, everything
    06-15-09 04:32 PM
    Have you tried to see if it would connect with BB maps?
    06-15-09 04:40 PM
    yes, it wouldnt connect to that either... Let me clarify, there are times that the gps does work, but many times the blue led blinks, the gps has connection and sat lock, but the BB reads nothing....
    06-15-09 04:41 PM
    I just want to make sure you know that you have to activate the GPS from within the map program each time you start the APP. In BB maps : menu > start GPS navigation. In google maps: menu > bluetooth GPS > click on your "GPS serial **:**:**". If you are initiating the bluetooth connection as outlined above with no results, then you may need to delete the device from the bluetooth connections and pair it.
    06-15-09 05:10 PM
    Yes, it is listed correctly in all options. It worked yesterday for a few minutes, then shut off. I thought having BB maps and Google maps kept it going so it wouldn't time out. Then had to reboot my entire phone to get any program to recognize it again, worked for about 30 minutes, then couldn't get it to recognize again.

Is there a way to auto connect it, and override the time out or anything? (i'm guessing not since there is no setting for that on the gps puck).

thanks!!
    06-17-09 06:18 AM
    Only run one mapping app at a time and don't use other bluetooth devices while using the GPS.
    06-17-09 08:30 AM
    Unfortunately, I'm in the same situation as dday110. I had the trial of Garmin for mobile since I already had purchased the puck for my Dell Axim a couple of years ago I did not have to buy another. The trial worked great in April and no problems with the puck connecting or staying connected.

I just decided to purchase the full version of the software since I'm traveling a bit more. Now I can only connect to the puck for a few seconds before it disconnects. I don't get it. I have not changed any settings. Activating a 'non-trial' version of the Garmin software shouldn't matter either since the GPS is disconnecting before I get a chance to use it. BB Maps won't work either obviously since the GPS disconnects. I set my phone to 'external GPS and specified the Garmin puck as the device.

Any help would be appreciated.
    08-24-09 09:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD