help..

I just got a new navigation system for my denali the kenwood 5120 and got hte BT200. The music part auto connects perfrectly but my phone stays disconnected and when i manually connect it works great but as soon as i end the call i loose the connection. any idea why it does this?
    04-17-08 11:14 PM
    The BT-200 is a pretty new product. I typically buy Kenwood car audio products because I like the quality. Not sure who you bought it through but I took a quick glance out on Crutchfield's web site and it appears that the BT-200 does not like Blackberry's unfortunately. Here's a link to the reviews.

Kenwood KCA-BT200 Bluetooth interface at Crutchfield.com

Little surprised that Kenwood let that slip under the radar screen. They typically have pretty good products and well thought out. I would call Kenwood USA and log a complaint or email them with the problem.

Kenwood

Let us know how it things go.
    04-18-08 06:37 PM
    I've found a work a round, but would preffer a fix !
    Firstly, try updating the firmware of the head unit, goto (kenwood com/cs/ce/mm/firmware/2008/eng.html) - Can't post as actual URL as haven't been a member for long enough ! this didn't resolve the issue with my 8310, but I beleive it makes some changes to the BT200.
    Now, there are two ways of connecting, one is by going to the BT option on the head unit and touching on connect, the second is to go into the BT settings on your phone, let it do the scan and then highlight the BT200, click the blackberry key and select connect. Now the second way (from the handset) in my case will keep a connection until my journey is complete.

You will need to reconnect after the connection is lost at the start of each journey though !

If anybody finds a more permanent fix, I'd love to hear from them !
    Last edited by joel@becker.sh; 04-19-08 at 05:03 PM.
    04-19-08 04:59 PM
    The company I bought the bluetooth from (Lombard Auto Sounds) have been pretty good on searching for a solution to this. No fix yet as of this time but they have made a complaint to Kenwood and now the Kenwood engineers are looking for a fix for this problem. I will keep you guys posted when or if a solution is found. thanks
    04-23-08 07:01 PM
    I have this problem with the KCA-BT200 too. I have a DDX-8039 with NAV/Ipod and Sirius. I have a bunch of money tied up in this thing and it upsets me Kenwood let this happen.

This thing doesn't really work and when I can get it to, I can't really duplicate what I did to make it work.

I would appreciate any help when it comes.

Thanks,
    Scott
    04-24-08 08:26 PM
    So I too just purchased the KCA -BT200 and found the same connectivity issue with my 8310. However there is good news. I took the plunge and downloaded and successfully installed the official 4.5 release, and presto had instant connection, streamed audio, and transfered the address book! The only issue I still can see, is when the connection is broken after being established, it will not automatically reconnect. (i.e when I start the car, then walk away) but it will manually reconnect with no issues.

I hope this helps, hang in there!
    06-16-08 08:23 AM
    Hey Guys, chalk another one up on the board for me.

Just got the Kenwood DNX 5120 (Firmware 1.40) with the BT 200 installed in my Envoy Denali. I have the Blackberry 8830 WE (Verizon) and firmware 4.2.2.196 (Which just came out 5/30/2008) and have the same issues with it reconnecting on power up. It has been real sporadic at best when it does reconnect. Tried my wifes LG 8500 chocolate with the same issues on re-sync.

Over the years I have owned many after market decks and was always impressed with Kenwood over the years (think this is my 5th deck I've owned from them) but this time around I'm very disappointed to the point I'm thinking of ditching it and going back to the factory Navi system. To top it off I found out after the install that its also not compatible with my 20GB Ipod Photo.

I did some searching around to see if I could get involved with helping update and or fix the software on the unit but they have a completely closed view of open development and no concept of developer kits. The part thats very disappointing is it sounds like these issues may never be solved as they are unwilling to invest any time or money in resolving the issues that exist. (I may be wrong but after doing some searching around the net and reading the responses otheres are getting from Kenwood support I get the feeling there not investing anything in bug fixing) You would think with customers paying over $2,000.00 (installed with all the bells and whistles) for there system they would be interested in keeping customers happy.....

If any one comes up with a solution I would love to hear about it. Other wise its back to the shop and maybe I should consider another brand....
    06-16-08 03:37 PM
    Okay I hope the light I see is the end of the tunnel and not a train. I spoke with a kenwwod rep and he told me that Parrot Japan came out with an update and is releasing it to kenwood Japan on June 28th, the update is being tested at this time and should up and going by the promise date. According to the Kenwood rep, it should be out soon after the 28th. He will call me on the Monday the 30th to inform me the status. You just might want to keep an eye out for an update download on the Kenwood website. I will keep everyone posted as I hear the news, Please do the same and let me know if you guys hear anything else. Thanks
    Last edited by dlarej15; 06-26-08 at 06:56 PM.
    06-22-08 07:15 AM
    I have a DNX8120. I cannot keep my blackberry 8830 consistently connected and in some cases I cannot connect at all. I will try the workaround that Joel suggested to see if I can at least get it connected. I hope that the firmware update that dlarej15 mentions is just around the corner and available for the dnx8120. My unit does everything I need but this bluetooth issue is a real disappointment. I heard that if you could disable a2dp on the 8830 that you could get the connection issue resolved but I see no options to be able to do this and I have read many other posts from people wanting to do the same thing. There is nothing in the bluetooth options settings to disable this feature.
    06-29-08 08:33 AM
    I just spoke with the Kenwood Rep today and they said that the software update that they are testing actually worked. they are in the process of writing a procedure on how to do the update. He will be sending me the beta form and I'll just play with it and try to install it on my own. I'll let you guys know once they release the firmware update or whens its ready for download.
    07-04-08 03:57 PM
    I just spoke with the Kenwood Rep today and they said that the software update that they are testing actually worked. they are in the process of writing a procedure on how to do the update. He will be sending me the beta form and I'll just play with it and try to install it on my own. I'll let you guys know once they release the firmware update or whens its ready for download.
    Hope they come out with it before 7/11, or I'll seriously consider an IPhone (though I am not sure if that worrks with the DNX5120 either!)
    07-07-08 09:50 PM
    Anything further on the Bluetooth fix? May I ask who the Kenwood rep. is that's providing information? Thanks!!
    07-11-08 10:12 AM
    I am having a different problem with a Kenwood Receiver. I just installed a Kenwood KDC-BT838U receiver that I purchased from Crutchfield. My Curve connects fine. I can stream music to the the reciever no problem and I have downloaded my phone book to the receiver. However, each time the receiver and phone connect, the receiver immediatly starts trying to download the phone book again and won't let me use the phone function. If I upload the phone book to the receiver, using the Curve, it works fine and will then let me use the phone function. Crutchfield has been of very little help with the problem. They say it is a phone problem. I changed the setting on the Curve that disables address book transfer. No success.

I called Kenwood today and they were also of very little help other than telling me there was a software update pending and it should be out in about a week. They could not tell me if the software update would solve the probelm. They only stated it would address some of the blackberry-related issues. They took my email address and promised to notify me when the update was ready.

I am now thinking of trying another brand of receivers - maybe Pioneer (DEH-P7000BT). Although, I have read of similiar Blackberry-related issues on Amazon.com with the Pioneer products.
    07-20-08 06:26 PM
    This is my experience. I sent this "What is being done the fix the Blackberry sync issue with the BT200? My Blackberry Pearl will connect then immediately disconnect (A2DP stays connected). I have updated the firmware, the phones software, and my DIP switched are right. Your compatibility list shows my phone as working, however, its not. Please keep me informed."

>>>>>>They said this :"Thank you for contacting Kenwood USA Corporation. As an authorized agent for Kenwood, we are responding to your recent email inquiry.

We do have a fix for the Blackberry issues. The update will be out shortly. I have added your contact information to our list. Once the update is officially released, well forward you the information."

I received this e-mail today. If I get any more info, I will keep you guys updated!!!!!
    07-20-08 09:19 PM
    Okay here s the deal i got my BT200 working with my blackberry Curve (8330). I have the Email from the Kenwood rep. I dont know how to post the firmware update on here so if you guys want to sent me a personal email thru crackberry then i can send it via email. What they did with mine was, the stereo shop i bought mine from recieved a new shipment of BT200's with the new software and they just installed that for me. Instead of having to download, the firmware thru bluetooth which they know little of, they just decided to install the new updated BT200. But i do have everything you need to update the software on the BT200, you just need a laptop with bluetooth compatibility, or buy bluetooth dongle. My BT200 now works great with my 8330. Finally!
    07-26-08 01:55 AM
    I got another email from Kenwood earlier after numerous emails going back and forth on the issues i keep finding with the BT200, they stated the FW 1.6 is available, but not set for public release yet. it's very frustrating since so many people are effected by this.

The rep said" There is an update for the BT200 out, however it has not been officially released at this time. When the unit is released, you will be notified via email."

Hopefully the update that's circulating is one that will work for all of us. I went to Kenwood's site, they now list how to check firmware for the Bt200 and they have 2 manuals now available for the Bt200 for version 1.4 and 1.6.

but no updates are available from the site.
    07-28-08 02:15 AM
    I have the pre-release 1.6. Just got it last night. PM me With you e-mail and I will send it to anyone who wants it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-28-08 10:50 AM
    I just talked to Kenwood tech support regarding this issue. The person I talked with said he was the one in charge of replying to questions about this issue. I asked when the update would be ready. He said and I am quoting him "it will be ready when it is ready". He would not tell me if it would be ready in a week or a year. I think this type of response is totally irresponsible and unacceptable and I told him so.
    07-29-08 01:17 PM
    well thanks to dlarej15 the 1.6 is working, he's been a definite help compared to kenwood themselves. i think the clarity has improved, because the prior firmware had alot of issues with quality of how one sounded. the connection is better now for my bf's blackberry. my nokia n95 8gb has always been working great. but the "TEL" icon is still not consistently turning on when i start or turn off my car, that problem has not been fixed yet. I believe this problem was also found on a few more forums i researched in the last few months. it is overall better than what it was. the beta version is working better. I think the problem still lies in the software where the dnx7100 that i'm using isn't connecting with the bluetooth properly. Kenwood tells me the dnx7100 is 100% compatible with the bt200 but the numerous emails to Kenwood has not really gotten me any help with them. It seems i am doomed to continue to have connection problems. The best way i've dealt with the "TEL" bluetooth not turning on is to turn the unit off (via the NAV button) then wait 10-15 seconds then turn it back on. Then the "TEL" icon usually appears after. Kenwood keeps insisting i check the dip switches, but it is set correctly.

if i get any more updates i will post. Hope the official release version fixes all the problems.
    07-30-08 02:45 AM
    After months of "Non Connection", and even lots of help from my dealer, the system still wouldn't connect consistently. They upgraded my firmware as follows: DNX-7100 to 1.0.9, the NAV to 2.60, and the BT200 to 1.6. Still no luck. An e-mail to Kenwood Customer Service, entitled, "I've got A Lemon", got a swift response. They suggested swapping out the BT200, which my dealer did the next day. All better now.
    08-04-08 03:19 AM
    I realized yesterday that there are now files and procedures on the Kenwood site to upgrade the DNX8120 with the v1.6 bluetooth software from Parrot. The upgrade procedure went smoothly. I used the remote upgrade procedure through the bluetooth connection on my laptop. After the upgrade my Blackberry 8320 now connects much better and auto connects when I enter the vehicle. It is early days to know whether this fixed all of my issues but I am getting much better usability so far.
    08-08-08 10:53 AM
    MY BT200 is Fixed!!!! With no help from Kenwood...... You can fix yours too.

and... with no help to this damn site... i cant post the links for the update... so here are the instructions:

1. goto kenwoodusa site
    2. hover mouse over "support" and then click on "car entertainment"
    3. click on the right side, bottom of screen where it shows a bluetooth firmware update box
    4. click english
    5. then scrool down to the bottom of the screen to click on "Bluetooth firmware version 1.60"
    6. ignore everything and goto the bottom of the screen

all of the updates are there under the correct heading.... just pick which one is for your receiver. the manual is super easy to understand as it is step-by-step. you will need a laptop with bluetooth for this to work. if your computer does not have bluetooth... you can pick up a blue tooth dongle at wal-mart (that is where i got mine)
    08-10-08 10:26 AM
    I have the same problem , how you fix that?

I am having a different problem with a Kenwood Receiver. I just installed a Kenwood KDC-BT838U receiver that I purchased from Crutchfield. My Curve connects fine. I can stream music to the the reciever no problem and I have downloaded my phone book to the receiver. However, each time the receiver and phone connect, the receiver immediatly starts trying to download the phone book again and won't let me use the phone function. If I upload the phone book to the receiver, using the Curve, it works fine and will then let me use the phone function. Crutchfield has been of very little help with the problem. They say it is a phone problem. I changed the setting on the Curve that disables address book transfer. No success.

I called Kenwood today and they were also of very little help other than telling me there was a software update pending and it should be out in about a week. They could not tell me if the software update would solve the probelm. They only stated it would address some of the blackberry-related issues. They took my email address and promised to notify me when the update was ready.

I am now thinking of trying another brand of receivers - maybe Pioneer (DEH-P7000BT). Although, I have read of similiar Blackberry-related issues on Amazon.com with the Pioneer products.
    06-23-09 09:35 AM
    I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know when the BT200 will be upgraded to support the Storm? Kenwood, as usual, replied with a standard non-answer answer then I enquired.
    11-06-09 11:14 AM
    Anyone? Anyone? .....Bueller?
    11-13-09 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD