Ironic, given that people doing exactly this with their BB phones was exactly the reason the nickname "CrackBerry" came into existence in the first place.
    Right but the difference is huge between the kind of social media now and then.
    09-22-15 03:26 PM

It doesn't end there. Facebook is giving away these beacons for free to stores and other commercial venues (they cost $25-30 each). This way, Facebook gets to collect aggregate data on where you like to spend your money. And it's all linked to your FB account.

So what's the reason to love your BlackBerry? The special apps for these beacons, especially the modified Facebook app, will not be available for BB10. Sometimes being on the fringe is a good thing!

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    If privacy is such a concern, why even have a Facebook account in the first place?
    ALToronto and Cynycl like this.
    09-22-15 03:51 PM
    If privacy is such a concern, why even have a Facebook account in the first place?
    Not everyone shares everything on FB. I use it to promote my business and to stay in touch with my friends - real friends, not just FB friends. I participate mostly in closed groups, and avoid the news feed, with its non-stop ads. So while FB likely gets my location data, I really don't want it to know my shopping habits.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    09-22-15 04:34 PM
    I agree. I love apps but I'm actually really happy that I can't get most apps on bb10. Saves me lots of potentially wasted time

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 05:03 PM
    I had a pearl a long time ago and I used to connect to the bluetooth beacons in this bar in Brasil. You would get links to contests, etc.
    09-22-15 06:01 PM
    Probably in 2004, 2005...
    09-22-15 06:01 PM
    Right but the difference is huge between the kind of social media now and then.
    Why is there any difference between FB or constantly checking emails or BBM? You're still walking around with your face in your phone, which was the behavior being mocked.
    09-22-15 06:12 PM
    I kinda agree. The lack of big names apps serves me well to engage in real life. I wouldn't want to be a part of zombie world walking the streets with their noses in their phones' screens. Glad as well that my close friends are Z10 holders and they are likewise.

The world is evolving into a digital world with digital people. I stick to how I was brought up.
    Ah I remember comments like this back in the BBOS days. Worked out great for the BlackBerry brand. They are switching to Android and all this stuff will work on that advertising platform. It's baked into the OS.

Posted via Z30
    09-23-15 08:04 AM
    So another reason to love Blackberry is their losing out on the latest technology? WTF? Are you serious?

First of all, Bluetooth Beacons DO NOT TRANSMIT DATA, at all. Bluetooth beacons are transmitters that use Bluetooth Low Energy 4.0 to broadcast signals that can be heard by compatible or smart devices. All they transmitted is their ID, much like your WiFi router. The app, that apparently doesn't work for Blackberry has to be able to detect these beacons. So how are you going to get a virus? Gimbal, Estimote, etc. all work the same the announce their presence and the app does all the work. You also have to opt-into the beacon experience, in most apps. MLB is using this quite extensively.

So hey BlackBerry, you're missing out on new technology, so I guess enjoy it, and love live security and piece of mind. Sorry BlackBerry fans you're missing out on some cool technology, not the other way around.
    Last edited by GoJaysGo; 09-23-15 at 09:41 AM.
    09-23-15 09:30 AM
    I cant help but laugh at the naivety of Crackberry users as they go about their lives thinking Blackberry is not tracking their personal information
    09-23-15 12:08 PM
    So another reason to love Blackberry is their losing out on the latest technology? WTF? Are you serious?
    Ad campaign "Not compatible with Bluetooth Beacons, never have been, never will be".
    09-23-15 02:45 PM
    Ad campaign "Not compatible with Bluetooth Beacons, never have been, never will be".
    BlackBerry is 100% compatible with Bluetooth beacons, as long as they support Bluetooth 4.0. However, they need the apps to support bluetooth beacons, and we all know where Blackberry stands when it comes to apps and developer support.
    09-24-15 08:44 AM
37 12