Feature: The BlueAnt Supertooth 3 will announce caller ID (digits). If the number is in the phone book of your phone, it'll announce the NAME.

Problem: My BlueAnt Supertooth 3 won't speak names. It will announce the phone NUMBER, but not the name from the address book.

If you've read the MobileBurn review, there's an issue with Blackberry setup, and it's true: You gotta do a manual address book upload (Options > Bluetooth > Transfer Address Book)

This problem is documented in the user manual, but the MobileBurn review seems to hint they got around the problem.

I even called BlueAnt's technical support who had me do a Blackberry battery pull, reset the Blueant (green button + Volume Up until you hear tones, which by the way also speaks the version number).

Nada! Only speaks phone number. Better than NOTHING but still...

BlueAnt thinks my unit is defective. They've asked me to test it with another phone before sending it for a replacement; I'll try it with my wife's SE w810i later tonight.

Has anybody else tried the Blueant Supertooth 3 with a Blackberry?

(PS: incoming/outgoing voice quality is superb, like the older Supertooth Light I also own.)
    06-11-08 10:40 AM
    So what was the verdict?
    06-12-08 10:02 AM
    The SE w810i worked fine; Blueant "helpfully" suggested I contact at&t to have the firmware of my Blackberry updated.

I did hear back from MobileBurn's reviewer, Aaron, who tried his unit with two different BB models (8130 and 8330) and the text to speech worked, but not without some repeated attempts, it seems.

This BlueAnt is going back; I've already ordered a SE HCB-150 handsfree speakerphone (text to speech AND OLED caller ID display). Fingers crossed that the text to speech works (no longer a total dealbreaker if the caller ID digits show up on a display, which the BlueAnt lacks) and the audio quality is on par with the BlueAnt, which is excellent.
    06-13-08 11:08 AM
    I've already ordered a SE HCB-150 handsfree speakerphone (text to speech AND OLED caller ID display)
    I have mine already and it works flawlessly. The sound clarity is outstanding and I am very happy with it overall.

I face the same issue however: I can see the number of the incoming call but won't see (and therefore, no spoken name) of the caller even though it's in the address book. I have contacted Sony Ericsson and will let you know
    07-03-08 09:21 AM
    I have been using the supertooth with my 8330 with no problems. I uploaded the phone book from the Curve and it does speak the names. However, I am sending mine back because I am not satisfied with the volume or clarity. I am now trying a Kenwood receiver with bluetooth capability. I am having some compatiability issues, but the volume and clarity is MUCH better.
    07-20-08 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD