Seems a very targeted affair. Localized in China for unknown (yet) devices.
    Chen said - the likes of - "Chinese can build $75 phones when I barely have the components for this price".
    Let's see how it goes, yet we know you can't really penetrate mass market in China unless a Chinese (state) company is involved, better more than less.

Opportunity is a great word.
    11-11-14 05:44 AM
    Not sure what you are trying to say.... but as the BlackBerry runtime can not handle Google Services and will eventually be locked out of the Android Market Place just like all those other China ran App Store. Eventually those App stores would be full of just older apps without any updates or newer features. Don't see what Chen would have to offer in the way of access to Android - these OEM's with their $50 Android Smartphones would be better off just following Google's rules and join the Alliance.

Android and Windows are FREE (almost anyway) for OEMs. BlackBerry has no ecosystem to recoup giving away the OS, but possible they could do the OS as a lost leader and hope the either BBM or BES would see more revenues?

But Chen maybe looking for someone other than Foxconn to build devices - don't think the Z3 sales impress Foxconn all that much. And let's face it, it never really was a sub $200 phone like it was announced it would be. Don't know if that was Foxconn or BlackBerry's fault, but it really hurt sales.
    In regards to your comments, the only one based in reality is your Google services argument. Like it or not Google doesn't own the 3rd party apps, nor does it have the ability to enforce the discipline you pretend they have.

Further, it is a bit of Internet fiction to pretend that Google and windows platforms are free. You need to dig into the agreements a bit deeper. Further, neither companies makes significant cash off their app store. App developers sure haven't cashed in and many are just abandoning their creations. On iTunes alone, there is close to 1 million dead apps without a single download. Quite sad and it exemplifies the problem with the whole App argument.

As to the Z3, it's a nice value phone that gives you a good bang for your dollar. It is certainly better hardware value than the competition and sales appear to be pretty good. It is another piece of Internet fiction that it was supposed to be less than 200 dollars. It was priced according to specs. If you want cheap then buy a 50 dollar phone. Just don't expect consistent access to apps or have them work. Can't see how pushing out a crappy phone with a crappy user experience would create long term sales or brand loyalty. Your approach sort of has the same appeal of a fly-by-night renovation company who does stuff magically cheaper than the rest. We all know how that turns out.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 06:42 AM
    He served on President Bush's exports council and is an expert of US-China trade relations. I'm surprised it took him this long.
    11-11-14 08:27 AM
    He served on President Bush's exports council and is an expert of US-China trade relations. I'm surprised it took him this long.
    He talked about it at the Hong Kong event. Essentially he has to work around the 'Five Eyes' countries. Those countries are comprised of USA, UK, Canada, New Zealand and Australia. These countries have an alliance to share intelligence and are major customers of BlackBerry. So, Chen has to approach China with caution because he doesn't want to upset his relationship with the Five Eyes and end up in no mans land where he no longer has a relationshp with them,but he has not yet built a viable relationship with China either.
    11-11-14 01:05 PM
    I
    Further, it is a bit of Internet fiction to pretend that Google and windows platforms are free. You need to dig into the agreements a bit deeper. Further, neither companies makes significant cash off their app store. App developers sure haven't cashed in and many are just abandoning their creations. On iTunes alone, there is close to 1 million dead apps without a single download. Quite sad and it exemplifies the problem with the whole App argument.

Posted via CB10
    What scale are you using to say the Playstore doesn't generate much revenue. At this years I/O it was stated they've paid out over 5 billion to devs and 3 billion of that was over a years span. IAP purchases in gaming is huge revenue generator in the Playstore along with the advertising in apps. Last weeks SouthPark episode poked fun at how much money people spend on mobile gaming.
    11-11-14 01:06 PM
    Hope they licence BB10...get more people to use the os...and stick to 4-5 devices of their own

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 01:23 PM
    "Seeking partnership."

"Will you be my boyfriend?"
    11-11-14 04:17 PM
    I can't help but thinking this is desperation. Whatever deal he's able to make may save blackberry though, so good on him. But if you think the Chinese govt. wont't have easy access to your BBM's/email, think again.
    11-11-14 04:23 PM
    I can't help but thinking this is desperation. Whatever deal he's able to make may save blackberry though, so good on him. But if you think the Chinese govt. wont't have easy access to your BBM's/email, think again.
    My thoughts exactly just upon reading the thread's title.

Wasn't there news about Chinese devices not being private at all?

EDIT: Like these here:
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/10/x...oud-messaging/

This is about Lenovo even.
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/28/u...process-china/
    11-11-14 05:22 PM
59 123