Streetinsider.com

Targets set to cover 10 percent of employees. Heins is said to now tie managers' jobs to sales targets and one-year incentive packages are also said to be expiring, according to Bloomberg.
    Assuming this report is reliable, Heins doing what he does best - operational efficiency and cost-cutting.
    00stryder and edu3110 like this.
    07-12-13 02:07 PM
    Oh my. Hope folks can keep their jobs.

Oh yeah: first. LOL.
    00stryder and richardat like this.
    07-12-13 02:11 PM
    Welcome to how sales people operate. Now if he would just beef up the reps who go to the retailers and by that I mean the actual storefronts

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 04:40 PM
    Streetinsider.com
    Assuming this report is reliable, Heins doing what he does best - operational efficiency and cost-cutting.
    If the above is true, then maybe he should stay in the background and do that and get a song and dance man out in the front to speak publicly, preferably someone with RDF capability.
    07-12-13 06:18 PM
    That is actually smart (business wise), and I guess we all know why the U.S sales head was fired.
    web99 likes this.
    07-12-13 07:09 PM
    This is truly brutal. Feel very very bad for those employees. BB10's failure has absolutely nothing to do with them. Although it had very little chance of succeeding in the first place, the decisions FROM THE VERY TOP are what have given it no chance whatsoever. This isn't the fault of their sales staff! RIDICULOUS. :-(
    07-13-13 01:46 AM
    This is truly brutal. Feel very very bad for those employees. BB10's failure has absolutely nothing to do with them. Although it had very little chance of succeeding in the first place, the decisions FROM THE VERY TOP are what have given it no chance whatsoever. This isn't the fault of their sales staff! RIDICULOUS. :-(
    Couldn't agree more.
    richardat likes this.
    07-13-13 05:49 AM
    How about offering OS and Hardware improvement incentives to the staff. With a better phone comes better sales.
    richardat and pantlesspenguin like this.
    07-13-13 09:17 AM
    From where I sit, it's the Marketing Dept's fault for poor sales. They really needed a marketing campaign that would get people talking and forget about the BlackBerry of old. There was a clean slate given and they just basically gave us nothing new and exciting. Granted yes, the advertising is good, just not great. BlackBerry can't afford good at this point. If they can't get people that can create a campaign at least as good as Apple, it's over. At least I have my Z10 to forget about all this BS.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 09:32 AM
    From where I sit, it's the Marketing Dept's fault for poor sales.
    You work in sales? :-)

Back to the note:

This is the way the sales work in most companies I've ever been in. If the sales guy meets his quota, he lives to sell through another quota. If he exceeds his quota, big bonus and "papa gets a new pair of shoes". If he doesn't meet his quota by a little, his sales managers get on his arse. If he misses his quota by a lot, or repeatedly, who looks for a sales job elsewhere.

And in the end, the sales guys can blame "marketing" all they want. If they don't get their numbers for their territory, region and account, they're the ones responsible.
    07-13-13 10:02 AM
    You work in sales? :-)

Back to the note:

This is the way the sales work in most companies I've ever been in. If the sales guy meets his quota, he lives to sell through another quota. If he exceeds his quota, big bonus and "papa gets a new pair of shoes". If he doesn't meet his quota by a little, his sales managers get on his arse. If he misses his quota by a lot, or repeatedly, who looks for a sales job elsewhere.

And in the end, the sales guys can blame "marketing" all they want. If they don't get their numbers for their territory, region and account, they're the ones responsible.
    Very true. I hear ya. You still need customers in droves to to get excited about a product. If it's only a few here and there, sales people will not even bother. They need hype and right now there is non. A district manager can only do so much. If the company does not provide at least something to sink your teeth into, it won't be long before you reach a dead end. I just hope BlackBerry wakes up and gets it. I wouldn't bet on my Z10 it though.

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    07-13-13 12:25 PM
    It was about time.

Posted via CB10
    web99 likes this.
    07-13-13 12:31 PM
    Heins has to go.
    07-14-13 12:07 AM
    Maybe he should pit the same type of heat on the R and D folks as well.

Then the Board can put the heat on Thor in the same manner.

Fairs fair.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    web99, mikeo007 and richardat like this.
    07-14-13 03:38 AM
    From where I sit, it's the Marketing Dept's fault for poor sales. They really needed a marketing campaign that would get people talking and forget about the BlackBerry of old. There was a clean slate given and they just basically gave us nothing new and exciting. Granted yes, the advertising is good, just not great. BlackBerry can't afford good at this point. If they can't get people that can create a campaign at least as good as Apple, it's over. At least I have my Z10 to forget about all this BS.

Posted via CB10
    BB most certainly didn't have a "clean slate". Horrible public perception of your brand and declining market share for three straight years certainly stacked the deck against them, and it has turned out to be too much to overcome.
    07-14-13 07:19 AM
    At what point is TH's job tied to company performance? These are his people now executing his plan. Hopefully they won't let it go too long like they did with the previous two. So far their execution is still lacking. Hopefully they don't botch the A10 launch like the did the Z/Q launch. If this device releases outside the US first then in the US three months later it is over!

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 09:36 AM
    Heins has to go.
    Heins will go when the company is bought out or broken up and its pieces sold individually. He needs to stick around to finish the job. Once he's done he will exit with a comfortable fortune.
    07-14-13 10:26 PM
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and speculate that this is only one example of the hammer dropping. So sure, the sales dept is under the gun. But I'd bet there are similar actions being taken in every department. ie.. Developers aren't meeting a stricter timeline? Axe drops. Project managers not meeting goals? Axe them.

I seriously doubt it's just sales. Sales is probably just the first to be confirmed.

IMO... It's been a long time coming.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta.
    07-14-13 10:36 PM
    Would love to know of any company where bad decisions from those above dont result in job loses for those below. What's that expression people love to throw around..... it's business
    07-14-13 10:50 PM
    It's a bad situation for a salesperson when their company is in trouble and more pressure is mounted on them to perform.
    07-15-13 01:02 AM
    Would love to know of any company where bad decisions from those above dont result in job loses for those below. What's that expression people love to throw around..... it's business
    Of course bad decisions from management can affect those below, but to simply pass this off as that is to miss the 2 critical points:
    1.this does not make it any less difficult for those below
    2.unless you believe the temporal correlation is mere coincidence and that these same quotas would have been implemented if BB had sold 50 million BB10 devices, then there is a clear implied attribution of blame being placed on the sales people
    3. BB decides to start selling Bananas. They call them BBBananas, BBB sales fall flat on their face. There is a clear difference between management saying "sorry, BBBananas were not the hit we expected, the move to fruit proved problematic and the market tougher than we thought, we are going to have to let some people go", and "what??? BBB's didn't sell well? Well, you salespeople better start selling X number of them or you're fired!"

On another note (and this point was not yours nuff_said), the asinine: well lots of salespeople have quotas, misses the point even more...I trust I need not even expound on that one for most people! lol
    07-15-13 01:43 AM
    On another note (and this point was not yours nuff_said), the asinine: well lots of salespeople have quotas, misses the point even more...I trust I need not even expound on that one for most people! lol
    What's "asinine" to me, is someone who hates everything about BlackBerry in every way ... yet spends 1600+ posts going on and on about it. Showing up every day to complain about how everything is terrible in every way, nothing is right in any way, to belittle positive news at every chance and cheer on negative opinions at every opportunity.

As i've asked before:

If you despise everything about BlackBerry so much, WHY ARE YOU HERE?
    07-15-13 08:41 AM
    Heins has to go.
    I agree he was over hyped when he came on board as we seen here and failed to do what he promIsed. No BB10 on the playbook, dismal developer support poor carrier support and poor communication to the masses about the new flock of BB10 devices. I live in the states and have yet to see a BB10 device in the wild.
    07-15-13 10:24 AM