Hello everyone. I have a bit of a concern. I have had this phone number for about 3 years and within the last 3 months or so I have been receiving unknown and private calls like crazy. My question is... Is there some type of download or something on my 8330 that I can do to prevent this without changing my # or paying for it? Just a question. Didn't know if others have had this problem. No one really has my cell # outside of family and friends so I'm not sure how this works thanks in advance
    tweet me @ chrystal_lvz_sd
    ~Chrystal

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 11:12 AM
    I use an app called Advanced call manager, you can set it up to send a text to anyone trying to call you with a Withheld number telling them you do not take calls from Withheld numbers. Your phone will not ring it just sends the text automatically.

Regards

Chris

05-16-09 11:23 AM
    Try CrackBerryAppStore.com

Black & Whitelist

"Black & Whitelist is an application which detects incoming calls and rejects unwanted callers who are blacklisted and allows only callers in the whitelist to come through. You can use address book rule to allow only callers in address book. Block even if the caller’s number is unknown or private number.

Easily create your own blacklist and white list by add numbers from your contact or any ID numbers from phone call log.

Whether the caller's number is in address book formatted number or raw number, when you have an incoming call, the application uses smart hashing and matching algorithm to detect, analyze and make the decision whether to reject it or not,. The phone is disconnected in 50 milliseconds and the application disables the buzz sound before the Blackberry device starts to make that annoying sound. The callers won’t even know that they are blacklisted or NOT whitelisted, they will hear the busy tone or forwarded to voice mail, depending on your phone setting."
    05-16-09 11:31 AM
    I use an app called Advanced call manager, you can set it up to send a text to anyone trying to call you with a Withheld number telling them you do not take calls from Withheld numbers. Your phone will not ring it just sends the text automatically.

Regards

Chris

If the number is blocked, how would it know what number to send the text to?

I've been considering purchasing Advanced Call Manager but I never pay for apps. And ACM is about 20 bucks I think. But the annoyance of blocked numbers is really starting to get on my nerves. My 30 free call trial is up.
    05-16-09 01:28 PM

I've been considering purchasing Advanced Call Manager but I never pay for apps. And ACM is about 20 bucks I think. But the annoyance of blocked numbers is really starting to get on my nerves. My 30 free call trial is up.
    I have no idea how it would send a text to an unknown number? I was thinking the same myself. But that is what the app says it can do.
    I am trying out the free trial.

But I will buy it at the end of the trial even if it can't send a text to the unknown number. All I want is to stop getting calls from withheld numbers.

Regards

Chris

05-16-09 01:38 PM
    Chrystal you could set an exception to "Private Number" and "Unknown Number" in your profiles. It won't stop them from calling of course but you can set it to MUTE so at least it doesn't bother you as much.
    05-16-09 01:46 PM
    Mwdb4au that's a good idea. Never thought of that thank u

05-16-09 09:06 PM
    Try CallsBlocker

05-16-09 09:58 PM
    What mwdb said is the cheap way to go!

05-16-09 10:46 PM
    Register your phone number w/ the Do Not Call List.. I heard cell numbers are now going to be made public this month. Call 888-382-1222 from your cell to prevent this.

05-17-09 12:37 AM
    Register your phone number w/ the Do Not Call List.. I heard cell numbers are now going to be made public this month. Call 888-382-1222 from your cell to prevent this.

Thanks!! I just did that! It's easy and quick...

05-17-09 02:19 AM
    Chrystal you could set an exception to "Private Number" and "Unknown Number" in your profiles. It won't stop them from calling of course but you can set it to MUTE so at least it doesn't bother you as much.
    I'm still reading my options, but like the original OP I'm suddenly getting prank calls from "private number" and I'm getting ticked (3:30 a.m. wake up call!!!) So I went into profiles to set up an exception, and not quite sure how it works with "private number" since there is no actual number. Do I need to add a "private number" entry to my address book (with no phone number) and then it will work?
    06-25-09 07:32 AM

No, they're not, but registering your number is still a good idea.

snopes.com: Cell Phone Numbers Given to Telemarketers
    06-25-09 08:28 AM
    Generally, a cell tower still knows what number is calling in. It's up to the settings on the calling party's phone to say "block my number". That's the way Caller ID blocks work on your wireless account.

If you have a program such as YouMail or others mentioned above, it sends you a text when you've missed a call. I have received calls from my mother-in-law (Private) and have seen her number pop up in those texts (YouMail even sends you their name). As for Blocked Calls, it will also tell me the exact number and usually the calling company's name (i.e. JPMorgan Chase when the bank called me a few weeks ago).
    06-25-09 10:55 AM
    No, they're not, but registering your number is still a good idea.

snopes.com: Cell Phone Numbers Given to Telemarketers
    LOL...I think I've heard that "rumor" every month for years. "Cell phone numbers are going to be given out to telemarketers next month. You better get on the list!!" hehe.
    06-25-09 10:57 AM
    Just set a custom ringtone to "mute".

06-25-09 11:01 AM
    Somehow some telemarketers have gotten my cell phone - keep getting a call from a debt reduction company...
    06-25-09 11:16 AM
    i believe these companies that use autodialers are infringing on the cell phones. I dont know much about autodialers but i dont see how this computer could determine a phone number to be to a land line or a cell phone
    06-25-09 11:27 AM
    the author of this product has not responsed to tech support from others, has not responded to emails, phone calls. I purchased the app, it needs a key to run, never received response from author for lisc. key. AT ALL.. just completly stupid. this is abondonware.

Try CrackBerryAppStore.com

Black & Whitelist

"Black & Whitelist is an application which detects incoming calls and rejects unwanted callers who are blacklisted and allows only callers in the whitelist to come through. You can use address book rule to allow only callers in address book. Block even if the caller�s number is unknown or private number.

Easily create your own blacklist and white list by add numbers from your contact or any ID numbers from phone call log.

Whether the caller's number is in address book formatted number or raw number, when you have an incoming call, the application uses smart hashing and matching algorithm to detect, analyze and make the decision whether to reject it or not,. The phone is disconnected in 50 milliseconds and the application disables the buzz sound before the Blackberry device starts to make that annoying sound. The callers won�t even know that they are blacklisted or NOT whitelisted, they will hear the busy tone or forwarded to voice mail, depending on your phone setting."
    06-25-09 09:23 PM
    how you do that? because when you add an exception, i saw no where a choice to add a "Private Number" or "Unknown Number" , the menu will let you browse through your existing contacts only

thanks
    08-26-10 02:52 AM
    If you get prank/bot/telemarketing calls, act like you're a cop from the police department. That will stop them from calling in the future because most don't want to be caught defrauding people.

Such as an example in my home city, I basically answered with "Toronto Police, what is your emergency". They promptly hung up and haven't called back again since. Try it.

08-26-10 04:58 AM
    I've just started using call control and it seems to work well, there's a free version and a paid version. It sends unknown numbers straight to my voice mail, if its someone who really wants to talk to me they can leave a message.

08-26-10 06:01 AM
    I've just started using call control and it seems to work well, there's a free version and a paid version. It sends unknown numbers straight to my voice mail, if its someone who really wants to talk to me they can leave a message.

Call Control works great, I use the pro version. Besides sending unknown callers to voicemail you can set it to pickup and hangup without going to voicemail. You can also customize your blacklist and whitelists.
    08-26-10 07:21 AM
    Besides sending unknown callers to voicemail you can set it to pickup and hangup without going to voicemail.
    While this feature is handy for preventing the missed call indicator, I should point out that it might cost you airtime (and even long distance depending on your carrier). But if you have unlimited incoming or you have A LOT of minutes, then you have nothing to worry about.

There's another app that I use which is free...it's called CallsBlocker. You can add as many numbers as you want to a blacklist as well as block unknown, private, and withheld numbers. Only downside is it'll still ring, but only for half a second before going to voice mail. You'll also still get the missed call indicator. But it's better than nothing I guess, and it's free
    08-26-10 09:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD