I'm not one to read into these actions as messages to any group of users. It's more likely that they learned that their enterprise clients had no real interest in deploying Blend regardless of the OS of the handset.
    I'm not saying it was the sole intention of making the announcement, but it's definitely (in my opinion) a big part of it. Why declare it EOL? They could have just said they are ending support for BB10, and left the door partially open. Saying it is finished as a product states definitively it will not be released on Android.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    08-11-16 03:32 PM
    In my opinion, nothing comes close to blend and the potential it had was amazing (adding 3rd party apps, etc).
    The fact that BlackBerry which is now a "software company" didn't take this amazing SOFTWARE cross platform and monetize it boggles my mind.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I don't think they are a software company when it comes to handsets, they are just an Android re-seller
    08-11-16 04:10 PM
    They are committed to profitability. BB10 is the antithesis of profitability. Like I said before, their "commitment" will go about as far as honoring the warranty and putting out two more security updates.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    And that's about the commitment that I (and I suspect some others) have in Blackberry as well.
    08-11-16 04:16 PM
    To answer the original question, Samsung has a Windows application called SideSync that works pretty well, especially when connected via a USB cable. You can display your phone screen on your Windows desktop and interact with your phone using your mouse and keyboard. You can also use it to transfer files. I use it to copy/paste from Windows into a BBM chat on my S7. When you are connected, you also get your phone notifications on your Windows desktop.
    08-11-16 05:27 PM
    airdroid has some good functionality but depending on needs it might not be what you need it for
    08-11-16 06:06 PM
    Couldn't see the point of blend, when I had a work Z10 I tried to use it, but it wasn't available on windows 10 with my surface tablet??? So did that mean it only worked with MACS? Or just older systems!

Swiped on my Passport!
    08-12-16 12:26 AM
    If I recall my moto x had a feature like blend for messages and email but it was a plugin for Chrome

Posted via my old faithful Z10
    08-12-16 12:28 AM
    Couldn't see the point of blend, when I had a work Z10 I tried to use it, but it wasn't available on windows 10 with my surface tablet??? So did that mean it only worked with MACS? Or just older systems!

Swiped on my Passport!
    It worked fine for me using Windows 10 were you using a surface pro or the rt? That thing is useless.. can't run any legacy exe apps for Windows, I have one of those too... I use it for a dart scoreboard now

Posted via my old faithful Z10
    08-12-16 12:30 AM
    "PlayBooked" again!

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice...

Hey, do I really have to take personal responsibility for jumping on the BB10 bandwagon? It's just too darned embarrassing and I've already suffered enough!

Posted via CB10 with my awesome Passport
    Powdah, FF22 and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-12-16 03:58 AM
    Blend is NOT dead! Just no longer updated, like apps of the old BBOS7. It's still alive and kicking, and will so for years. At least with the current versions of Windows and Mac. But it's not dead. Far from it.

anon(3732391) likes this.
    08-12-16 04:27 AM
    I agree with most everything you've said. On the other hand, the CEO of BlackBerry has repeated stated that they are "fully committed" to BB10. And the other guy (COO?) saying they haven't ruled out a new BB10 handset.

Frankly I think Chen should just fess up and be honest / straightforward. Look the camera in the eye and tell us that BB10 is dead, there are no more BB10 phones coming, it is over. Pull the bandaid off quickly and then move on.

IMHO it makes him, and the company, look worse every time they claim to be committed to supporting the platform while at the same time they're cutting support or killing stuff like Blend. It makes them sound confused at best, like liars or crooks at worst.
    Agreed.

Say what we will about Thorsten; at least he made an official announcement that BB10 wasn't coming to the PlayBook. People weren't happy (including myself), but at least he was direct and didn't try to spin the message.
    Powdah and FF22 like this.
    08-12-16 05:31 AM
    Blend still works on my Windows 10 laptop, but hasn't on any of my Android tablets for some months.

Firstly BB refused to acknowledge an issue, then they said it was a known issue that would be resolved soon, then utter silence. I suppose you could say they resolved the problem by ending support, but it is a strange use of the word.

We are now nearly a year on since the announcement that 10.3.3 is on its way. Since then we have had assurances that BB10 will be supported into the future, with dates for the 2 planned upgrades constantly put back.

I love the Blackberrys I've owned, esp the Passport, but the company is very poor as regards customer focus. What a shame
    FF22 likes this.
    08-12-16 10:13 AM
    Someone mentioned the word "Adult," yet you're all bickering like children.
    I couldn't care less what device anyone uses or what anyone thinks about my choice maybe because i have nothing to complain about.

Be happy with whatever you choose and stop dissing others because you don't happen to like what they like.
    LIFE is about making choices. Just because you don't happen to like someone else's lifestyle doesn't make you better than them or give you the right to judge them.

We're talking about a small handheld mobile device that, while it is a nice convenience, really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. Right now we're still playing with toys.
    The mobile era is still in the infant stage and has already come a long way. The day mobile devices become perfect will be the day they are discontinued and replaced with a chip that is implanted in you head. And then, it's just a matter of time until the machines take over.

All you complainers are missing out because you'd rather complain about what you don't have instead of enjoying what you do have.

Grow up!!
    08-12-16 10:18 AM
    I use Blend every day at work and love it... sad that it's EOL but glad it's still working for now. I would also love to find an acceptable android alternative for the day when it no longer works (or my Passport dies, hopefully not until far, far in the future).
    anon(3732391) and FF22 like this.
    08-12-16 10:58 AM
    I use Blend every day at work and love it... sad that it's EOL but glad it's still working for now. I would also love to find an acceptable android alternative for the day when it no longer works (or my Passport dies, hopefully not until far, far in the future).
    You said that very nicely in a mature way.

So what's your trip? You trying to derail this thread by killing everyone with a kindness and a positive attitude??

We're gonna be watching you!!

Blend is dead - What's the best alternative?-image678774042.png
    Powdah, gritsinct and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-12-16 11:36 AM
    In my opinion, nothing comes close to blend and the potential it had was amazing (adding 3rd party apps, etc).
    The fact that BlackBerry which is now a "software company" didn't take this amazing SOFTWARE cross platform and monetize it boggles my mind.

For me, the unrealised potential of Blend was that I always hoped that the next release would enable Editing of Contacts - I've still only been able to ADD A NEW CONTACT and VIEW CONTACTS via Blend. I'm still using my old Palm Desktop software as a PIM (it still works with Windows 10 - you just have to remember to 'Run as Administrator') and had hoped since I first installed Blend, that Blend would be the replacement.

I believe that the inability to Edit Contacts via Blend is why it didn't get used more...

I agree that taking Blend cross-platform would be expensive, but I would happily pay a subscription to be able to use Blend cross-platform (as long as they added the functionality to Edit Contacts via Blend).

That's my two pennorth for today...
    08-12-16 01:48 PM
    Blend is NOT dead!
    I'm not an English professor, but "dead" is a synonym for "end of life"
    08-12-16 02:15 PM
    I really missed Blend when I got my Priv, but I do use PushBullet so I have some functionality. It would be great if BlackBerry developed Blend for Android and iOS and monetized it somehow that could allow it to continue on yet be reasonably priced. I really do miss BlackBerry 10 and Blend was one of those reasons. Hopefully it'll continue to work for a long time for BB10 users.
    08-12-16 02:24 PM
    I never saw the need to use blend any way. I am not sure what it did because it was so buggy and slow when I tried it causing me to immediately delete it.

08-12-16 02:31 PM
    Frankly I think Chen should just fess up and be honest / straightforward. Look the camera in the eye and tell us that BB10 is dead, there are no more BB10 phones coming, it is over. Pull the bandaid off quickly and then move on.
    I bet they would lose institutional customers if they did this. Their Android stuff is probably not secure enough for some customers so BlackBerry has to keep BB10 on lifesupport until they get Android to a level acceptably secure (e.g. for places that maybe work in health or government etc)
    08-12-16 02:41 PM
    I bet they would lose institutional customers if they did this. Their Android stuff is probably not secure enough for some customers so BlackBerry has to keep BB10 on lifesupport until they get Android to a level acceptably secure (e.g. for places that maybe work in health or government etc)
    Any institutional clients who don't know it's a matter of when and not if, are going to end up feeling as cheated as the loyal fans are when BlackBerry does finally pull the plug.

IMHO by dragging it out, Chen is going for some short term gains in exchange for yet another blow to BlackBerry's reputation.
    08-12-16 02:45 PM
    Well, it's not dead "dead", functionally.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    08-12-16 02:50 PM

Swiped on my Passport!
    I just installed it on a new win10 Dell 2-1 tablet/laptop and it is connected to my Z30 (whose only purpose is to feed BLEND on my desktop computer and now this new one). The Priv has replaced the Z30 as the cellphone.
    08-12-16 04:29 PM
    In the long run, all technology is "dead."

Some people like to call a technology dead at the first sign of decline in sales; some call it dead when active development ends; some call it dead when the official EOL is announced; some call it dead when their favorite feature or 3rd party add on stops working; some call it dead when the EOL date arrives, and some wait until it actually ceases to function.

Having read hundreds of debate posts on this site about the meaning of "dead" as applied to BB10, I've concluded that it all depends on the nature of the commenter's interest. People interested in the mobile market in general seem to like calling winners and losers, so for them BB10 has been dead for years. Others are thinking about their next device. And some, like me, are simply interested in using a valuable tool for as long as possible.

I use the same definition of dead for my BB10 phone (and Blend) as I do for my 13 year-old car. When it stops taking me where I want to go in a reliable manner, I'll move on. But, for now, both are very much alive and kicking.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-16 07:26 PM
    My Blend works fine. I am sure when 10.3.4 comes out My blend will still work. Not sure why you think it is dead.
    Some people still use Windows XP. I still have a Dreamcast that probably works fine if I do decide to hook it up.
    08-12-16 08:21 PM
66 123