Calling all Blenders? I loved and used it everyday!! Going to miss it greatly.

Switching to Samsung in the near future. Whats the best/closest app on Android that will rival Blend?

P.S. Blackberry Please PLEASE make a blend version for Android
    08-11-16 07:32 AM
    1) Blend is not dead... at least not until Windows or MacOS breaks its current functionality. Might be weeks, might be years...

2) Replacement... none. Pushbullet can give you the SMS/MMS functionality and notification. AirDrop can allow you to send files via Wi-Fi. But there really isn't one app that can do it all like Blend did... Really will have to focuse on what aspect of Blend you are wanting to duplicate, and then search for an app for that one feature.
    08-11-16 07:47 AM
    I have high hopes for Cortana / Windows Anniversary Ed. So far all notifications appear on desktop. Responding so far doesn't seem to work.
    00stryder and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    08-11-16 07:49 AM
    Blend is not dead just no more support. I use it daily with no issues.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    08-11-16 07:56 AM
    In my opinion, nothing comes close to blend and the potential it had was amazing (adding 3rd party apps, etc).
    The fact that BlackBerry which is now a "software company" didn't take this amazing SOFTWARE cross platform and monetize it boggles my mind.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-11-16 08:02 AM
    In my opinion, nothing comes close to blend and the potential it had was amazing (adding 3rd party apps, etc).
    The fact that BlackBerry which is now a "software company" didn't take this amazing SOFTWARE cross platform and monetize it boggles my mind.

MONEY.... I would imagine that BLEND was a very expensive app to develop for, with most of the develpment being done pre launch.

But getting at this point, moving it cross platform to Android and iOS would have been a major undertaking. And too be honest not even sure if it would have been possible with iOS with the way if functions. Andorid would have been possible, but then they'd also have to update the "desktop" versions for at least Windows (maybe MacOS too).

But for WHAT?

While many here might want it, the majority of smartphone users today are pretty much not using PC's all that much, except for at work. Where they probably aren't allowed to install personal programs and access through the firewall.

The potential is much smaller than you would assume... just like the actual use of Blend even among BB10 users.
    FahedAlDerbi and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-11-16 08:52 AM
    WHY did they ditch it?

Because they are COMMITTED to BlackBerry 10, that's why

The most incompetent company in recorded history ...
    Q10Bold and acovey like this.
    08-11-16 08:56 AM
    WHY did they ditch it?

They are committed to profitability. BB10 is the antithesis of profitability. Like I said before, their "commitment" will go about as far as honoring the warranty and putting out two more security updates.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and jaydee5799 like this.
    08-11-16 09:05 AM
    They are committed to profitability. BB10 is the antithesis of profitability. Like I said before, their "commitment" will go about as far as honoring the warranty and putting out two more security updates.

Their 'commitment' is to flog off remaining BB10 phones at extortionate prices while continuing to do jack all to support or develop their own software.

Absolutely ruinous for a 'software company' to have such a reputation of dumping their own products while still trying to get cash from people who don't know better. What are they thinking?

Karma: if you think you can 'return to profitability' by behaving like an a-hole then something is going to creep up on you and bite you on the backside one day.
    StephanieMaks and Q10Bold like this.
    08-11-16 09:08 AM
    Blend was pretty handy when my lcd broke. The app turned my phone from a paperweight in to a device that was actually useful. Screen repaired now but blend was great!!!!

Q10SQN100-5/10.3.2.2789 ...posted via CB10 app
    00stryder and PantherBlitz like this.
    08-11-16 09:18 AM
    Their 'commitment' is to flog off remaining BB10 phones at extortionate prices while continuing to do jack all to support or develop their own software.

Absolutely ruinous for a 'software company' to have such a reputation of dumping their own products while still trying to get cash from people who don't know better. What are they thinking?

Karma: if you think you can 'return to profitability' by behaving like an a-hole then something is going to creep up on you and bite you on the backside one day.
    I can't believe adults can't get basic financial reasoning. If a product is bleeding money nonstop for years on end, you dump it.

BB10 almost bankrupt the company. It has never been profitable. With less than 2/10 of 1 percent of the global userbase (remember that 0.2% is dividedbetween BBOS and BB10), it has no chance. Any sane businessperson would have killed it, and probably sooner.

Good, AdHoc, and other software acquisitions are growing and are cash positive. When Blackberry says it's a software company, that means it's focusing on software that it hopes will bring in positive cash flow.

And yes, in the REAL WORLD (not crackberry fantasy land) you do succeed in business by being an ahole, not by trying to make everybody "feel good." That's why even the most successful companies in the world have layoffs, kill projects, and buyout competitors.

But anyway, back to our regularly scheduled fairy tale, where BB10 still has a chance to succeed if they just throw a few more billions at it...
    spiller, TgeekB, Jerry A and 5 others like this.
    08-11-16 10:12 AM
    I can't believe adults can't get basic financial reasoning. If a product is bleeding money nonstop for years on end, you dump it.

BB10 almost bankrupt the company. It has never been profitable. With less than 2/10 of 1 percent of the global userbase (remember that 0.2% is dividedbetween BBOS and BB10), it has no chance. Any sane businessperson would have killed it, and probably sooner.

Good, AdHoc, and other software acquisitions are growing and are cash positive. When Blackberry says it's a software company, that means it's focusing on software that it hopes will bring in positive cash flow.

And yes, in the REAL WORLD (not crackberry fantasy land) you do succeed in business by being an ahole, not by trying to make everybody "feel good." That's why even the most successful companies in the world have layoffs, kill projects, and buyout competitors.

But anyway, back to our regularly scheduled fairy tale, where BB10 still has a chance to succeed if they just throw a few more billions at it...
    tl;dr

You must be a shareholder?

Good luck getting your rotten company to profitability ... see ya
    08-11-16 10:14 AM
    tl;dr

Why because he is logical?

08-11-16 10:27 AM
    tl;dr

And you must be a disgruntled BB10 fanboy.
    Like the Rolling Stones song goes... You can't always get what you want.

*ME173X
    08-11-16 10:33 AM
    Chrysler gives them a run for their money ...

I see your point, but they made moves more perplexing than this. If they did not think that they could package Blend in with their enterprise packages then there is no real reason to further develop it or take it cross-platform. Of course, going EOL with it when they are still selling it with BB10 is a bit douchey, IMHO.
    08-11-16 10:36 AM

Yes, because they are spending such a huge effort to market BB10 phones to the masses who don't know better! ROFL

I see it very differently, and I'm grateful that they have continued to offer BB10 phones to those of us who still vastly prefer them over Android and iOS even with their limited future, which BlackBerry has been communicating for almost two years now to anyone with sense to listen.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-16 11:30 AM

I agree with most everything you've said. On the other hand, the CEO of BlackBerry has repeated stated that they are "fully committed" to BB10. And the other guy (COO?) saying they haven't ruled out a new BB10 handset.

Frankly I think Chen should just fess up and be honest / straightforward. Look the camera in the eye and tell us that BB10 is dead, there are no more BB10 phones coming, it is over. Pull the bandaid off quickly and then move on.

IMHO it makes him, and the company, look worse every time they claim to be committed to supporting the platform while at the same time they're cutting support or killing stuff like Blend. It makes them sound confused at best, like liars or crooks at worst.
    08-11-16 11:46 AM
    Where they probably aren't allowed to install personal programs and access through the firewall.
    ^^^^^^This is indeed a key problem with Blend. My wife had to fight like a bulldog to get permission to install it on her desktop PC at the University where she is a prof. After much discussion with the IT people there, they finally allowed her to have it. She loves Blend, as she quite often forgets her Passport at home and I love it because I no longer have to drive to the uni to take the phone to her
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-11-16 12:06 PM
    I agree with most everything you've said. On the other hand, the CEO of BlackBerry has repeated stated that they are "fully committed" to BB10. And the other guy (COO?) saying they haven't ruled out a new BB10 handset.

Frankly I think Chen should just fess up and be honest / straightforward. Look the camera in the eye and tell us that BB10 is dead, there are no more BB10 phones coming, it is over. Pull the bandaid off quickly and then move on.

IMHO it makes him, and the company, look worse every time they claim to be committed to supporting the platform while at the same time they're cutting support or killing stuff like Blend. It makes them sound confused at best, like liars or crooks at worst.
    Yeah dragging it along isn't smart. I wonder how much inventory they have left.

08-11-16 12:09 PM
    Microsoft is 'fully committed' to Windows 8. It will be in enterprise for many many years to come. Doesn't mean it will get new features but will be kept up to date with security and some bug fixes. Thats BB10 for Blackberry.
    08-11-16 01:02 PM
    Microsoft is 'fully committed' to Windows 8. It will be in enterprise for many many years to come. Doesn't mean it will get new features but will be kept up to date with security and some bug fixes. Thats BB10 for Blackberry.
    I've always seen it this way too. You can also buy computers with Windows 8.1 pre-installled too.

The sense of "betrayal" is bizarre.
    08-11-16 01:27 PM
    Yeah dragging it along isn't smart. I wonder how much inventory they have left.

Your guess is as good as anyone's. If my guess counts, I would guess not too much left. They were controlling the manufacture fairly closely for the last couple of years.
    08-11-16 01:37 PM
    WHY did they ditch it?

The timing seems somewhat odd but let's face it, its been a long time since it was updated anyway. I think this declaration is more intended for BlackBerry Android users...a not so subtle hint that Blend is (*was) a BB10 product and it's not coming to Android. Ever.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    08-11-16 02:03 PM
    Your guess is as good as anyone's. If my guess counts, I would guess not too much left. They were controlling the manufacture fairly closely for the last couple of years.
    I know they have "said" that about inventory.... but then it's been five months since Chen admitted that the Classic was out of production... and yet they still have it available.
    08-11-16 02:28 PM
    The timing seems somewhat odd but let's face it, its been a long time since it was updated anyway. I think this declaration is more intended for BlackBerry Android users...a not so subtle hint that Blend is (*was) a BB10 product and it's not coming to Android. Ever.
    I'm not one to read into these actions as messages to any group of users. It's more likely that they learned that their enterprise clients had no real interest in deploying Blend regardless of the OS of the handset.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-11-16 02:28 PM
66 123