Why has no one made a phone that you can chose the OS that goes on to it? You pay a yearly fee to Apple, Windows, Android or BlackBerry and you get to run their OS.

I suspect Apple would not want to do this but the software focused group should.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 01:53 PM
    Because I doubt anyone would see it as a profitable way of selling their hardware, or their OS.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-28-16 02:10 PM
    Why has no one made a phone that you can chose the OS that goes on to it? You pay a yearly fee to Apple, Windows, Android or BlackBerry and you get to run their OS.

I suspect Apple would not want to do this but the software focused group should.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I agree with Dunt. Also, thinking of the options out there, Apple would never do this, and although BlackBerry said that they are willing to license BB10, I can't see many consumers interested in that. So really, the only viable option would be Android. So I guess if someone made a 'blank phone', your options would be Android, or Android

I guess the real idea would be people being able to choose which iteration of Android they want to install - Samsung, BB, LG, OnePlus, etc. But again, most of those companies want to control the hardware as well.
    JeepBB and beemaabeemababy like this.
    10-28-16 02:33 PM
    because you don't want waste resources (hardware spec) for unknown requirement (software)... just like FPGA (field programmable gate array chip), you got amount of logic, memory, processor, etc etc for average application or for prototype, because you can config it to your liking, but the chip is big, the routing is not optimum, the speed is a bit slow... once you done your prototype, you want is ASIC (application specific chip), that optimize the design (you targeted performance) and get rid of all the extras that FPGA provide... FPGA got large application, but not optimum... if you are happy with non-optimum phone, that is OK to grab a phone wipe out the OS (rootable) and load different one and see if you like it... (or go home, re-format your hard drive and loaded up linux and tell me if you like it... we can carry on the discussion ;-).
    Tariq_OS7 likes this.
    10-28-16 02:35 PM
    Android and Windows have kinda become interchangeable... as there are some OEM's making single devices that will run on or the other OS. But they have to use chips that are compatible with Windows - don't think the Qualcomm will work. Just like BB10 requires very special drivers to be created for it to work on different chipsets.

But who wants Windows, who wants BB10? A handful of users, that aren't worth the trouble....

I can see some wanting the features for iOS without the cost... but Apple will never allow it, as it would gut their hardware sales.

In today's market... an Operating System by it's self, has very little value. How much is Google charging for Android, how much does MS get for Windows... nobody has even nibbled on the licesing of BB10. People still buy devices....
    10-28-16 02:41 PM
    Because different phone OS require different hardware. Their architecture is not the same as PC architecture.

EDIT: Sorry D3, did not see your answer.
    10-28-16 02:46 PM
    It would have to be something that is supported by all of Android, Windows Phone, iOS and BlackBerry 10, which can't happen. iOS is only for Apple's processor lineup and hardware, BB10 is still limited to ancient Qualcomm hardware from years ago, Windows 10 is better on that front and one could put Android on a toaster if they wanted.

The example of manufacturers using the same platform for Windows 10 and Android has been brought up already, and is really the only viable option for platform choice.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    10-28-16 02:53 PM
    never mind the real apple iphone... the fake can load droid... Toronto already got few chaps lost money on the fake... if it is universal phone, iphone will lost its A10... and fat profit... (even fake one got fat profit --- illegally).
    Watch Out: This iPhone 7 Plus Clone From China Looks Like The Real Deal! - Gizmochina
    10-28-16 02:57 PM
    The reason some Android phones can have WinPhone loaded on them is because MS paid for Windows drivers for that hardware to make it possible - and it's still only a few select Android phones.

BB10 can run on two QualComm SoCs: the S4 Plus and the 801, because BB paid for drivers for those two.

But aside from the driver issue (which is a huge, limiting factor), there is also TONS of optimization that happens by manufacturers to tweak the OS to run well on the hardware they select. Without that, the OS might run, but it certainly wouldn't run well, and you'd probably see your battery life shrink by half, for example.

There's no money in it for manufacturers to optimize multiple OSs for each phone, nor for the OS companies (MS or BB) to pay for drivers for all the different SoCs and other hardware, because even if they did, only a relative handful of people would choose to run one of those non-mainstream OSs.

And, obviously, Apple isn't worth discussing, since they've intentionally closed all aspects of their platform from an OS and hardware point of view.
    JeepBB and stlabrat like this.
    10-28-16 08:46 PM
    99% of actual consumers would open the phone and say "wait, I have to do what??!"
    JeepBB, TGR1, Ronindan and 2 others like this.
    10-28-16 08:57 PM
    Thanks for sharing all your knowledge and helps me put to rest an idea that was a wee bit flawed.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 11:32 PM
    A Blank / Modular phone... now that would be ambitious. A Tech-heads's dream? An Average consumer's nightmare?

The Modular component would bring the manufacturer to the table rendering this idea more viable.

... Just building upon the op's initial idea...

Round 2!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by tepope; 10-29-16 at 04:11 AM.
    10-29-16 04:01 AM
    Google proved that it was possible - but they also proved that it wasn't practical - it was far too expensive for way too little gain.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-29-16 12:30 PM
    A Blank / Modular phone... now that would be ambitious. A Tech-heads's dream? An Average consumer's nightmare?

The Modular component would bring the manufacturer to the table rendering this idea more viable.

... Just building upon the op's initial idea...

Round 2!

Posted via CB10
    Google=Moto finally see the day of the light... after many told them years ago... Well, someone just want to learn from their own mistake... I am prefer to learn from other people's mistake...If I can ;-)
    https://www.wired.com/2016/09/death-...ogle-grown-up/
    10-31-16 07:41 AM
    I'll wait to see how modular notebook PCs do before I look for modular smartphones. You can already get most of the components for notebook computers like the LCDs, motherboards, and flash memory online but I don't see a lot of people building their own notebook computers. Also, Apple has enabled its users to install Windows on MacBooks for years but hardly anyone uses it.
    Last edited by early2bed; 10-31-16 at 08:05 AM.
    10-31-16 07:53 AM
    I'll wait to see how modular notebook PCs do before I look for modular smartphones. You can already get most of the components for notebook computers like the LCDs, motherboards, and flash memory online but I don't see a lot of people building their own notebook computers. Also, Apple has enabled its users to install Windows on MacBooks for years but hardly anyone uses it.
    part of the reason notebook is not easy to be modular: EMI shielding... between the components as well as whole system.. the contact resistance between the shield are not easy to maintain if not designed at system level... with all the wireless required, you got problem... possibly big problem (harmful to yourself as well as to your system).
    10-31-16 12:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Non iOS users don't understand how tightly coupled Apple makes the OS and hardware. The OS is designed for specific hardware and produces great results. I don't use iOS anymore, but I fully appreciate Apple's approach.

Actually you can get some phones to run Win10 Mobile. Not really sure why you would want to considering the current state of Win10 mobile. Check out Windows Central there are several discussions on the subject.
    10-31-16 05:45 PM
    Google proved that it was possible - but they also proved that it wasn't practical - it was far too expensive for way too little gain.
    Did not stop LG from giving it a partial try with the G5. No where as ambitious as what Google was playing with, but the results were predictable.
    10-31-16 05:52 PM