10-03-11 03:30 AM
50 12
tools
    The PlayBook is not an embarrassing failure, its the support that we have seen from RIM. I see the PB having much more potential than other tablets. RIM needs to start releasing all the updates it needs and concentrate hard on working out the bugs and improving the OS. If by PB OS 3.0 is out and RIM is doing better we could see an interest again in the 10" market. But this wont happen until QNX stabilizes as an OS.
    The MASS public opinion definitely see it as a failure, including me, who bought one. The playbook is an embarrassment to rim, I would be shocked if it goes further than os2

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The PlayBook is an embarrassing failure because, after the loud proclamations of "amateur hour is over," all we're left with is daily reports of how poorly it's selling, price slashes at every retailer, stock prices dropping, and analysts loudly recommending that RIM cut bait. The brand value of the PlayBook has been completely poisoned and the perception of it is it's just another failed tablet.
    If the Playbook is continued in the future, and there are new models at some point, RIM would probably be better off killing the name "Playbook" and giving a new model a different name, like they killed the "Storm" name following the Storm debacle.
    Last edited by lak611; 10-01-11 at 04:12 PM.
    howarmat likes this.
    10-01-11 04:10 PM
    I see the PB having much more potential than other tablets.
    Ah there is that word again... I agree Tablet OS has tons of potential. But here is the other big word...RIM needs to deliver. Not just with software, but with marketing as well. In all seriousness after being a BB owner and following RIM for the past 4 years, I really don't think they even know what marketing is.

Word of mouth is not going to save you in the iPad market...I mean tablet market. They need to get their asses in gear and market the heck out of the thing. I have a feeling the Kindle Fire is going to outsell the PlayBook within 2 months, probably less. This will be because the price point is great, and Amazon knows how to market their products and services.

Instead of people seeing a Kindle Fire and saying "is that a PlayBook", they may possibly see a PlayBook and say "is that a Kindle Fire"?. That will not be good for RIM. It's bad enough there are barely any PBs in the wild.
    10-01-11 04:16 PM
    Ah there is that word again... I agree Tablet OS has tons of potential. But here is the other big word...RIM needs to deliver. Not just with software, but with marketing as well. In all seriousness after being a BB owner and following RIM for the past 4 years, I really don't think they even know what marketing is.

Word of mouth is not going to save you in the iPad market...I mean tablet market. They need to get their asses in gear and market the heck out of the thing. I have a feeling the Kindle Fire is going to outsell the PlayBook within 2 months, probably less. This will be because the price point is great, and Amazon knows how to market their products and services.

Instead of people seeing a Kindle Fire and saying "is that a PlayBook", they may possibly see a PlayBook and say "is that a Kindle Fire"?. That will not be good for RIM.
    If anyone wants to make a wager, I'll say the kindle fire outsells the playbook on its first day

Rickroller likes this.
    10-01-11 04:18 PM
    The PlayBook is an embarrassing failure because, after the loud proclamations of "amateur hour is over," all we're left with is daily reports of how poorly it's selling, price slashes at every retailer, stock prices dropping, and analysts loudly recommending that RIM cut bait. The brand value of the PlayBook has been completely poisoned and the perception of it is it's just another failed tablet.
    I agree. From a purely business standpoint, there is no way, zero, for RIM to recover from this. Be a PB cheerleader all you want, but the score is 85-0, last quarter, and under a minute left in the game.
    10-01-11 04:21 PM

Instead of people seeing a Kindle Fire and saying "is that a PlayBook", they may possibly see a PlayBook and say "is that a Kindle Fire"?. That will not be good for RIM. It's bad enough there are barely any PBs in the wild.
    I agree with you.

Other than the tech enthusiasts, none of my family members and friends follow Crackberry, Zdnet, or even BGR. However, all of these folks shop at amazon.com. As a result, these folks will see advertising for the Kindle Fire regularly.
    10-01-11 04:25 PM
    I personally think buying a playbook was the worst idea that I ever made I just wish RIM would hurry up and fix this embarrassing POS with 2.0.
    10-01-11 04:28 PM
    They cant/wont "kill" the PB right now. They have to keep development going since this is the future OS. I want them to keep going and deliver because then when the release the full touch QNX powered phone all the major bugs are finally out and then you will hopefully see exactly what potential QNX and the OS really have.

I agree with the above, you kill the PB name if anything. Just like the storm and start fresh. Its worked extremely well for the new "touch" and would hopefully do the same for the tablet
    10-01-11 04:43 PM
    Huh, someone must have got a time out. Came to reply to them from the email and no post to reply to. Go figure.
    10-01-11 04:58 PM
    This guy Blair has had a hard on against RIM for a while. Not even worth reading as soon as I saw the name.
    10-01-11 06:10 PM
    If anyone wants to make a wager, I'll say the kindle fire outsells the playbook on its first day

I won't be taking that bet. I think you're right. Amazon won't be firing their marketing team just before release either. .
    10-01-11 06:14 PM

I'm sure it will, almost fire sale price. How fast did those hp tablets go?
    10-01-11 06:20 PM
    I'm sure it will, almost fire sale price. How fast did those hp tablets go?
    Ironically, it IS a Fire Sale price!
    10-01-11 06:37 PM
    another iFan research piece...
    Good... I was expecting a post like this. I appreciate it. It allows me the peace of mind that comes with knowing some things will not change, especially when it comes to some PB owners getting soul-stricken by the candid comments of, uh, fellow PB owners.
    10-01-11 07:40 PM

I think it is a big possibility as well. At least opening week.
    10-02-11 09:07 AM

Agreed. I preordered mine and a couple of my co-workers too. I am looking forward to devcon, hope RIM brings its A game!
    10-02-11 09:32 AM
    I think it is a big possibility as well. At least opening week.
    The thing to remember though is that Amazon has never offered precise sales numbers on the Kindle. As a result, there are no official numbers on how many have been sold in the years since its release. It's possible that they may do the same with the KF. I'd agree with your prediction; in fact, I'd bet the KF would move more units in its first month than all 7-inch tablets tablets have sold since their inception, but I don't know that I'll ever be able to prove it. Also, since it runs Gingerbread, we won't be able to estimate sales based on the percentage of in-use Android devices running Gingerbread as many of their phones run that version also.
    Last edited by Economist101; 10-02-11 at 09:54 AM.
    10-02-11 09:51 AM
    The thing to remember though is that Amazon has never offered precise sales numbers on the Kindle. As a result, there are no official numbers on how many have been sold in the years since its release. It's possible that they may do the same with the KF. I'd agree with your prediction; in fact, I'd bet the KF would move more units in its first month than all 7-inch tablets tablets have sold since their inception, but I don't know that I'll ever be able to prove it. Also, since it runs Gingerbread, we won't be able to estimate sales based on the percentage of in-use Android devices running Gingerbread as many of their phones run that version also.
    I would hope Amazon releases the numbers for this. Especially if it does become successful. It would be real interesting to see how much better/worse they do than everyone else.
    10-02-11 10:00 AM
    [...] He made the claim that QNX won't work without quad core processors which if not an outright lie shows gross ignorance at best. His two main points are false on their face.
    I see lots and lots of so-called "analysts" parrot the momentum and parrot the guidance a company gives. Not a lot of actual analysis. This article is an appeal to emotion, not logic. If one were to approach the guy with a reasoned response all you would hear is a flustered "yes, but" "yes, but" "yes, but" since the subtext is simple "RIM is in trouble, they missed a product cycle and are now betting the whole company on QNX which is perilous" This shouldn't be news - and when you clear away the igorance, lies, and bluster, you are left with this underlying subtext.

Momentum based stories are more self serving than enlightening, anyway. Generally there are no new insights and a lot of FUD or Hype depending upon their subject. Guy could be under a lot of pressure to publish something.

(You can hear the collective convulsions going on around the iPhone5 - it is the same sort of un-useful crap being spewed, just all positive and hype filled.)
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 10-02-11 at 10:42 AM.
    Blackberry_boffin likes this.
    10-02-11 10:38 AM
    Basically the PB move was an idea that may or may not have worked. Unfortunately it didn't as sales disappointed.
    However I could see RIM's thinking; they had to make a tablet to stay relevant (everyone was screaming for one) so they looked at the number BB owners and gambled that if they could get all(most) BB owners wanting a tablet to get a PB they would be sorted till QNX was good enough to pitch to everyone else.

They overestimated two things: the tablet market (forget what everyone says most tablets are NOT selling, it is still basically an ipad market) and secondly the loyalty of BB users. The reviews that invariably placed it alongside an ipad when it was pitched as different proposition didn't help.

That said ditching it would be the worst move on several fronts. Firstly it is the pioneering device for QNX, the chosen future of BB devices, so what message does it give to pull the plug on it? Secondly they haven't even brought all the features they always planned which were always supposed to right all wrongs. Lastly for RIM exiting the tablet market altogether is a bad move. All direct competitors are still in and trust me most are taking hits and discounting their products.
    So for now RIM has to fix the Playbook and remarket it again. Of course it is not the best way of doing things but the mistake has been made and can only ne cushioned.

Let's see what happens at DevCon.
    10-02-11 11:48 AM
    I am always amused at the number of BB users that are complaining about non-native email and calendar etc. 1) can someone please explain the exact circumstance that would arise when I wouldn't have my bb phone nearby, but would still need to "communicate" and 2) who would want to worry about leaving potentially sensitive data and account information on the device when that is the beauty of the bridge concept?

10-02-11 12:42 PM
    I wonder how much criticism of the PlayBook would vanish a-la if the PlayBook was marketed properly as a BlackBerry device companion, rather than as a general purpose tablet.

There are tens of millions of BlackBerry users who would have been potential customers, and if it was BRANDED with a name that said "This BlackBerry Tablet goes with BlackBerry Handhelds" and, when what is Tablet OS 2 is released, a new brand could have been launched for the PlayBook version that's suitable for use as a general-purpose tablet. Yes, the hardware would be the same, but the native apps / OS is the issue here.

They should have called the PlayBook the "Bold Tablet" and then called the Tablet OS 2 device the PlayBook. That might have worked, in hindsight... but analysts that confuse mis-positioning for "bad tech" shouldn't be analysts.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 10-02-11 at 03:22 PM.
    Laura Knotek and JBenn911 like this.
    10-02-11 02:51 PM
    Yes I heard they were going to reduce the price of the PlayBook. What is the cheapest you can get it for now?
    10-02-11 04:33 PM
    Yes I heard they were going to reduce the price of the PlayBook. What is the cheapest you can get it for now?
    Staples, Office Depot, Best Buy

$299 16 GB
    $399 32 GB
    $499 64 GB

No rebates.
    10-03-11 03:13 AM
  24. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    OS 2.0 is going to be amazing!! and coming soon! .. so Playbook will finally showcase the true Professional Grade Tablet that it was intended to be ... coming soooon!!
    10-03-11 03:22 AM
    If my name was Blair I would change it!
    10-03-11 03:30 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD