A drink coaster? Seriously?

Last edited by mypb16; 10-01-11 at 10:37 AM.
    10-01-11 09:34 AM
    I lost interest as soon as I saw the work Analyst on the screen.

max
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-01-11 09:36 AM
    In his defence he's not really saying anything we've not heard before, but at the moment we're pinning hopes on OS 2.0 fixing the flaws.
    loth and JBenn911 like this.
    10-01-11 09:39 AM
    This guy Blair is typical of the misinformed piling on a momentum story trying to make money by shorting the stock. He makes the glaringly false statement that the only way that QNX will work in a handset is if quad core processors are available. He is so laughably stunned that he doesn't appear to realize that QNX is already working in the PB with a dual core.

I follow energy issues quite closely and, take it from me, if the stupid stuff these analysts say about energy and now the PB are any indication, the audience who take cues from these people for investment decisions are being played for complete suckers.
    10-01-11 09:51 AM
    QNX is currently running in several million vehicles that certainly do not have even dual core processors.

Clearly the more CPU power you have, the snappier the device response is likely to be. Modern CPUs run hand in hand with graphics accelerators so, yes, a better CPU makes for a better device.

I have not seen the YouTube clip. I read earlier that it had the word ANALyst in the TITle. Is my capitalization correct ? I think so.
    NaijaBerry and batboris like this.
    10-01-11 10:09 AM
    I think he had great points. He really likes the os7 phones, nice to hear.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-11 10:26 AM
    I think he had great points. He really likes the os7 phones, nice to hear.

Since when is stupid nonsense "great points"? Who isn't around their phone? My BT connection works all over my house no matter were I left the phone and I'm bridged 24/7 with battery drain being next to nothing. He made the claim that QNX won't work without quad core processors which if not an outright lie shows gross ignorance at best. His two main points are false on their face.
    10-01-11 10:39 AM
    Maybe someone should kill this guys career.
    KRol, Jake Storm and black hole like this.
    10-01-11 10:48 AM
    Just another PB hater who concentrates on every bad thing it doesn't have, instead of seeing what new innovations and improvements it brought into a tablet world currently being controlled by Apple and Android. Instead of using it as his drink coaster, he should actually used it, bet he would liked it more than an Android tablet. Apps, yes I get it apps are important. But who cares about having 100,000, 500,000, or 2 million. Just give me 5,000 that work right and I'm happy. QNX still at its infant stage, its been out for only 5 months and on 1 consumer device only.
    Last edited by mypb16; 10-01-11 at 10:54 AM.
    Jake Storm, kbz1960 and black hole like this.
    10-01-11 10:51 AM
    Threee things Blair states are spot on: 1) It never should have launched with without native email and calendar - I agree, this was ludicrious if RIM expected to sell the PB to non-BB users. 2) There are no useful apps for the PB in App World - especially related to business use or travel planning. 3) The browser is fantastic and way ahead of most tablets - bit still needs to be tweaked for to solve some Java and secure website issues.

At least he owns a PB so I feel he has a right to vent on its shortcomings, which everyone who owns a PB is very aware.

Hopefully, OS2 will resolve most of the these issues and get the PB functioning up to expectations. However, even with OS2, unless the developers begin getting useful apps out and RIM pushes for Netflix, Kindle and other popular apps are integrated - they may still have problems getting the average user to have interest in the PB.
    10-01-11 11:07 AM
    Who is Blair? Better question may be who cares. Yes all analist (misspelled on purpose) get together and rehash the same thing over and over and over and over.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-01-11 11:22 AM
    He mentioned some "developer relations" folks just left "today." Is that why the kit was finally released to more people? Which folks joined the departing/departed?

And I have to say, he probably has a pseudonym and posts here - he did a reasonable job of pointing out the weaknesses. Whether it should be killed - I will await, not patiently, the OS2 release (if it comes). Actually, I do believe someone mentioned using it as a coaster on this board - so he is probably here!!!!
    10-01-11 12:04 PM
    @F2, the date on that is Sep 29, and possibly it was recorded the day before, so that just squares up with Tyler leaving and Alec coming on board the other day. Nothing new about "today", and I'm sure it's unrelated to the NDK being released to more people... that was expected to happen right about now anyway.
    10-01-11 12:24 PM
    PB is a POS device, why would i spend $500 just to surf the web because it has flash, i would rather do that on my laptop($500 saved), tablets = apps, without apps it will flop, and why would i buy a tablet that uses a BB smartphone to fully utilize it(bridge)? and ya'll wondering why PB isnt selling. Go figure
    I love posts from those who swallow the tripe being pushed on the internets. They have never used one so are ignorant of how advanced the UI is and it is by far and away the best on the market.

Can you fit your lap top in your pocket? Does your lap top access the full web through 3g? The bridge is way cool and is free through the handset's data plan saving $100s per year for an additional data plan. Full web access does away with many of the app crutches one competitor relies on. Can you take 1080p video on your lap top?
    10-01-11 12:51 PM
    The PB does everything I need it to do and with style. Its only going to get better in the future. I personally prefer QNX even with the lower number apps than Android OS. Much better to use.
    10-01-11 01:19 PM
    I love posts from those who swallow the tripe being pushed on the internets. They have never used one so are ignorant of how advanced the UI is and it is by far and away the best on the market.
    Nothing is better on a Saturday morning than the sweet, sweet sound of shootsscores' misplaced hyperbole. Reminds me of Apple users in the mid-90s: "Apple computers are the best ever! Who cares if they get outsold 50 to 1! Long live the Performa!" You know what? It sounded desperate then, too.

Full web access does away with many of the app crutches one competitor relies on.
    Apparently not many are interested in a "full web" that exists without Kindle and Netflix support.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-01-11 01:27 PM
    PB is a POS device, why would i spend $500 just to surf the web because it has flash, i would rather do that on my laptop($500 saved), tablets = apps, without apps it will flop, and why would i buy a tablet that uses a BB smartphone to fully utilize it(bridge)? and ya'll wondering why PB isnt selling. Go figure
    How many web apps do you have on your laptop? Can you walk down the street with your laptop and pull it out to check something out? I know you can do that on your phone but any phone screen is too small for ME and I"m not going to carry around a 5, 6, 7 inch phone and put that thing up to my ear to talk to someone on it.

I admit I use my laptop a lot more at home. I got the playbook for the portability and yes because I can do most everything I did on my laptop when away from home in a more convent package.

Yes android has flash but I do not care for android, I don't care for apple so I got a pos playbook because I do care for it. Yes it needs apps and they will come. Yes everything that has been hashed over and over and over again.

Yes it isn't selling well right now but that doesn't mean when those things are here that it or the next gen will not sell.

Oh you can spend your money on anything you want to just like I can. If I or anyone else bought a pos then so be it. I don't care what pos you bought and you know what I have no need to tell you about if you did.

BTW did you join just to bash it?
    10-01-11 01:31 PM
    If this Blair guy is worthless for concluding that RIM should kill the PlayBook, I wonder how he became an analyst? You don't get that kind title for being worthless... and I don't think that network, like Bloomberg will waste its timeslot for something worthless...

I believe RIM should, not consider his conclusion, but prove to Mr. Blair and those who are losing faith to RIM that they have wrong views and that RIM is still in control and on the right track... in other word, please release OS2 on time...
    10-01-11 02:52 PM
    Moved to News & Rumors
    10-01-11 02:58 PM
    did not bother with the youtube, but I don't see killing PB off as an option. They need to work on QNX for the next gen phone, so no point of killing PB. It gives them devices in people's hand, so they can get feedback and do what needs to be done to get the handsets right. Launching and failing with QNX handsets would be very difficult to survive for RIM, tablet not so much.

10-01-11 03:23 PM
    I don't even know what to think.

Obviously, the PlayBook has been an embarrassing failure and it's financially irresponsible for RIM to keep throwing good money after bad by continuing to compete in the tablet market. But it might be even more irresponsible to not have a presence in that market.

I think RIM might be screwed no matter what they do.
    10-01-11 03:29 PM
    Everyone calling for this guys head.. what did he say that was wrong. What if you were RIM? You shipped 500,00k playbooks one quarter, 200k the next and had 800k sitting in a factory and had to cut the price in half to move them. You wouldn't be considering dropping the device? Get real people this is money you're talking about. Not fantasy land. If they don't do something about it soon its going to get dropped, they're not going to keep producing something that loses money
    Nobody is sitting around jonesing for os2 to buy one, by that time the amazon tablet will be out
    Last edited by katiepea; 10-01-11 at 04:00 PM.
    10-01-11 03:58 PM
    The PlayBook is not an embarrassing failure, its the support that we have seen from RIM. I see the PB having much more potential than other tablets. RIM needs to start releasing all the updates it needs and concentrate hard on working out the bugs and improving the OS. If by PB OS 3.0 is out and RIM is doing better we could see an interest again in the 10" market. But this wont happen until QNX stabilizes as an OS.
    10-01-11 03:59 PM
    The PlayBook is not an embarrassing failure, its the support that we have seen from RIM. I see the PB having much more potential than other tablets. RIM needs to start releasing all the updates it needs and concentrate hard on working out the bugs and improving the OS. If by PB OS 3.0 is out and RIM is doing better we could see an interest again in the 10" market. But this wont happen until QNX stabilizes as an OS.
    The MASS public opinion definitely see it as a failure, including me, who bought one. The playbook is an embarrassment to rim, I would be shocked if it goes further than os2

10-01-11 04:03 PM
    The PlayBook is an embarrassing failure because, after the loud proclamations of "amateur hour is over," all we're left with is daily reports of how poorly it's selling, price slashes at every retailer, stock prices dropping, and analysts loudly recommending that RIM cut bait. The brand value of the PlayBook has been completely poisoned and the perception of it is it's just another failed tablet.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-01-11 04:04 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD