So the blackphone gets a 78 which to me is a pretty high score for being a secure but limited android experience with more or less Z30 specs.

With no google play, 1GB ram, spotty performance, app incompatibility, 720p screen, 8mpx camera, boring design and mediocre build.

Blackphone review: putting a price on privacy

There wasn't a single mention of blackberry, even as "competition".

So it's as simple as this. If the passport receives a review score of less than 78 then engadget is clearly and unquestionably biased.

Posted via CB10
    Blackerthanblack and CDM76 like this.
    10-05-14 11:28 PM
    Good. There is no reason to mention BlackBerry.

Blackphone is blackphone and BlackBerry is BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 12:19 AM
    I don't understand why Blackberry has to be a topic of interest everywhere.

Also, Passport is not strictly better than Blackphone so that you could use its Engadget review score as a measure of bias. Plenty of people want all-touch or don't like the wide Passport form factor.

And another note. Blackphone's specs are nothing comparable to the Z30's. The CPU's are not even the same brand! (The Tegra 4i is compared to the Snapdragon 800, though. This is the CPU in the Passport.) Strong bias on your part.
    10-06-14 01:21 AM
    Ehhh. Engadget?
    Kind of stop getting clicks from me.

Posted via CB10
    Blackerthanblack likes this.
    10-06-14 01:22 AM
    Paid review?

Using Passport and Z10
    Jack Donovan1 likes this.
    10-06-14 01:39 AM
    Blackphone smacks the Z30 in specs. The S800 is miles ahead the S4 Pro.
    10-06-14 01:51 AM
    I don't understand why Blackberry has to be a topic of interest everywhere.

Also, Passport is not strictly better than Blackphone so that you could use its Engadget review score as a measure of bias. Plenty of people want all-touch or don't like the wide Passport form factor.

And another note. Blackphone's specs are nothing comparable to the Z30's. The CPU's are not even the same brand! (The Tegra 4i is compared to the Snapdragon 800, though. This is the CPU in the Passport.) Strong bias on your part.
    They are talking about a secure phone, how can you not compare with a blackberry?

Sure the CPU is better, but the rest of the phone is more or less the same.

if you read the review you'll see that it basically talks about an android experience very similar to blackberry 10 and with this it scored a 78.

Last I checked this was a blackberry site.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 and CDM76 like this.
    10-06-14 04:22 AM
    Looks I caught the attention of some rabid android fanboys in a blackberry site.

Looks like I have to spell it out for some of you.

Read the review before commenting.

My point is:

A "limited" but "secure" android experience is similar to blackberry 10's android runtime.

No google play and play services, limited app compatibility and performance, etc.

And yet this phone deserves a 78 so I'm saying then that the blackberry passport deserves something close to that.

The passport's size shouldn't be too much of a factor because it has pros and cons. 1440p resolution (pro) vs 1:1 ratio (maybe a con to them). Larger size (a con maybe) but larger battery (pro).

Other than that the passport's hardware is superior in everyway.

Software wise it's very similar to blackberry 10's limited but secure android experience with out the added blackberry 10 features.

If you weigh it, I am being objective.

So what your point?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The Big Picture; 10-06-14 at 04:56 AM.
    CDM76 and Bluenoser63 like this.
    10-06-14 04:31 AM
    They are talking about a secure phone, how can you not compare with a blackberry?

Sure the CPU is better, but the rest of the phone is more or less the same.

if you read the review you'll see that it basically talks about an android experience very similar to blackberry 10 and with this it scored a 78.

Last I checked this was a blackberry site.

Posted via CB10
    Yes this is a BlackBerry site. So why are you even bringing up Blackphone here? Flame-baiting? ;-)

Posted from an ME173X
    10-06-14 04:39 AM
    Yes this is a BlackBerry site. So why are you even bringing up Blackphone here? Flame-baiting? ;-)

Posted from an ME173X
    Oh we don't discuss other phones and compare it to our blackberries?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 04:52 AM
    I constantly read tech sites, although some should be called "Apple sites".
    I'm already sick of all the praise give to that ****ty company which relies on selling bull**** to idiots but Apple is not going away anytime soon, so I try to ignore it as much as I can, because I wouldn't have what to read about anymore.
    GsmArena, PhoneArena,Engadget and Gizmodo feature dozens of positive reviews/opinions/comments focused solely on the iPhone. Android is second most popular and until the Passport, BlackBerry was met with disdain and hatred and some still do it. It seems everybody forgot that Nokia, SonyEricsson and HTC were in the same situation and they've done the same. When the companies rose back again, they praised them, so it' all about mass stupidity.
    Anyway, Blackphone was proven not to be as secure as advertised (see the root fiasco and secondly, Android) but I don't know why BlackBerry fans are surprised by this. I am not, although I hate it, but it takes a lot of time to change the public opinion and haters will be present whenever there's a chance.
    10-06-14 05:42 AM
    I constantly read tech sites, although some should be called "Apple sites".
    I'm already sick of all the praise give to that ****ty company which relies on selling bull**** to idiots but Apple is not going away anytime soon, so I try to ignore it as much as I can, because I wouldn't have what to read about anymore.
    GsmArena, PhoneArena,Engadget and Gizmodo feature dozens of positive reviews/opinions/comments focused solely on the iPhone. Android is second most popular and until the Passport, BlackBerry was met with disdain and hatred and some still do it. It seems everybody forgot that Nokia, SonyEricsson and HTC were in the same situation and they've done the same. When the companies rose back again, they praised them, so it' all about mass stupidity.
    Anyway, Blackphone was proven not to be as secure as advertised (see the root fiasco and secondly, Android) but I don't know why BlackBerry fans are surprised by this. I am not, although I hate it, but it takes a lot of time to change the public opinion and haters will be present whenever there's a chance.
    Agreed. It seems like all any of the sites are talking about is the iphone.

I'm hoping that engadget at the very least will give the passport a fair review, if a "crippled" but "secure" android is able to receive a 78, I believe the passport should be around that mark.

Posted via CB10
    Blackerthanblack likes this.
    10-06-14 06:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    But every BlackBerry article on Engadget starts with 'the once king, now behind Apple' or some trash like that. Did they compare Black phone sales to iPhone 6? Cuz that's what they did with the passport

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 08:26 AM
    Blackphone review engadget. No mention of blackberry.-img_20141006_130247.png

^^ you cannot write this without mentioning blackberry - its just ridiculous.

I'm with OP on this one (y) - read the comments section and you will see others are too.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 12:05 PM
    In the realm of secure devices you don't have much choice... and we are leaving out the number one option to try and make our point

Fixed it for them

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 12:51 PM
    This phone is completely irrelevant to anything guys....its already forgotten by everyone.....i wouldn't worry about it.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 03:11 PM
    I agree with OP
    10-07-14 11:49 AM
    "The only other security focused device for the consumer market..." then they mention a samsung not bb. Wow
    10-07-14 11:52 AM
    Let's see how many privacy focused governments and corporations drop their blackberry for blackphones...

Especially for lower spec hardware, that has no Google play sericves, requires sideloading apps, and costs double compared to the entry level blackberry10 phone.

This is like buying a fake gucci purse for more than what a real gucci purse costs! What a joke lol.

Posted via CB10
    The Big Picture likes this.
    10-07-14 12:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    +1.

If all Blackphone articles have to mention BlackBerry then do all BlackBerry articles have to mention Blackphone as a valid alternative?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Last edited by crazigee; 10-11-14 at 09:37 PM.
    10-11-14 08:53 PM
    We're really truly scraping the bottom of the barrel around here for discussion topics. Browsing topics is about 50% complaining about media outlets, 20% doom stories, and 30% real content. Attempting to read through threads is now an exercise of patience.
    10-12-14 01:58 AM
    +1.

If all Blackphone articles have to mention BlackBerry then do all BlackBerry articles have to mention Blackphone as a valid alternative?

Depends on who precedes the other. There are always benchmarks in any industry/market.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 02:01 PM
    Depends on who precedes the other. There are always benchmarks in any industry/market.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I don't think it is necessarily. And I certainly don't think that as BlackBerry is regaining popularity that it would be good that every positive article about BlackBerry's great security also mention Blackphone.

10-13-14 07:45 PM
    Blackphone smacks the Z30 in specs. The S800 is miles ahead the S4 Pro.
    Faster phone= faster to invade the users privacy= quicker to put your information out there
    10-13-14 08:47 PM
    Faster phone= faster to invade the users privacy= quicker to put your information out there
    That's a very conspiratorial view of things.

10-14-14 12:08 AM
27 12