So what does the blackberry of the future look like?

What does a BB do in the year 2014 and in ten years 2019?

What could you imagine the RIM need sto begin working on now?

All posts welcome. Be serious or have fun.

I want my 2014 BB to do my laundry
    08-15-09 01:31 PM
    id like my bb2014 to go to work for me and generate enough money to pay my bills and pay for my traveling habit LOL.

if only this were a perfect world lol
    08-15-09 01:43 PM
    I'd like to not have to carry a wallet any more. Maybe integrating banking and payment options on to a BB?
    08-15-09 02:07 PM
    I'm convinced the blackberry of the future will be a watch that is operated using nothing but bluetooth technology and voice activated dialing.
    08-15-09 02:45 PM
    In 2014 ...

- perfected touch screen
    - longer battery life
    - higher resolution screen
    - 4G connectivity
    - slimmer form factor

In 2019

- Brain Implanted chips
    08-15-09 02:53 PM
    Teleportation
    08-15-09 04:22 PM
    Fingerprint scanner, but you don't have to swipe just place thumb on screen. Also be able to use it as a universal remote control.
    08-15-09 04:43 PM
    I like the fingerprint scanner idea. You hear this RIM,law enforcement.

What about a full size projection screen and keyboard for office use? Have a full working cpu with you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 05:19 PM
    The trend is to morph the desktop into a hand held. I would want to see a storm size device that has the processing power to run any PC application, be able to perform video conferencing. In ten years we should have 5G or 6G. RIM needs to get their hands some super high performance battery to feed the hungry processor that is going to run the above.
    08-17-09 06:38 PM
    im with you here. I would really like to have personal access to my money via my bb. I had heard that european iPhones kinda had this technology working already. i dont know how accurate that is though.
    08-17-09 06:48 PM
    Oh goodie. BlackBerry future-tech.

CPU will be some form of a "dumbed-down" quantum-bit chipset. Expect performance to rival or exceed anything on the desktop market today.

Memory will be in the terrabyte range - holographic, read by lasers, 3 dimensional architecture.
    Power source will be a micro fuel cell. (Or anti-matter. Anti-matter would probably be more rad).

Form factors include keypad, touchscreen, and variations that combine keypad with touchscreen - even models with flexible OLED HD displays that you can "unroll" to provide a larger viewing area.

For keypad models, the characters on the keys are not printed, but instead are displayed using tiny OLED diodes that form symbols on the face of the keys. This way, the keys on the keyboard can be configured/displayed to whatever needed application is required.

Security advances include iris-scan / face recognition and voice identification.

Improvements within the communications industry and future internet development, allow device to truely act as an individual "communications and data hub" world wide.

Moving beyond the "Personal Digital Assistant" or "smartphone" - the device has become an almost indespensable way to share and manage your life.
    The device can pay for your meal, by downloading money in your bank account to the restaurant account on the spot, as an example. Even the lowliest fast-food chains are now on board with this "cashless" trade, most commodities are paid for this way in the developed nations.

Live video conferencing with friends and associates is commonplace, as are a host of other social networking structures, now that these devices are relaying data wirelessly at previously unheard of speeds.

With advanced processing power, the device begins to fill in for other stand-alone products of years past.
    Placed in a car cradle, the device fills the same nitch as a voice-directed GPS unit or entertainment system. You can even use it to remotely start your vehicle.

Over time, the device has moved beyond status-symbol, business tool, consumer device and such, to being an almost personal necessity.
    You can still do everything you need to without one, but it's a lot less conveinant and requires a lot more running around.

Of course, with one device having SO much of a person's life handled by it - there are concerns about privacy and security. Measures were created, and are continually being updated to protect people.
    The device can be setup to wirelessly backup newly added data to a server or personal computer, automatically, in case of loss or damage.
    08-18-09 12:43 AM
    Maybe they better just get the trackball mastered first

08-18-09 01:22 AM
    RIM lays down the law to ALL Cellular service provider worldwide. They will be dumb pipes for BlackBerries. There will be not carrier tweaking or pushed services onto any BlackBerries.

Its a pipe dream I know. Im outside the US so don't really have to put up with much carrier "value added" crap like the Verizion or ATT pushed stuff.
    08-19-09 07:24 PM
    Hmm... I wouldn't mind the 2019 BB to be small and powerful enough to be implanted at the base of my skull. That way I don't have to worry about scratching it, dropping it in water or having folks complain about faulty moving parts like trackballs or screen ripples.
    08-19-09 11:18 PM
    It'll make me coffee

08-21-09 08:56 AM
    COnvergence is the key. The size of the device will remain similar but it will replace several others to a greater capacity than it does now. It will take picutres, play music, play games as good or better than the stand alone versions of those devices do today.

by 2014 devices will essentially offer us what can be found in midrange netbooks today.

I expect we will see a move AWAY from storage on the device and to storage in the home. Users will cache portions their Music or video collection on the device for use when they have no signal, but will STREAM most of it from their home computer or a server provided by the carrier

Take a picture an it is simulteniously saved on the device and your home PC.

by 2019 devices will mastered video confrencing and will be moving toward including minature projectors.

Keeping the device small but allowing the screen/viewing area to expand will be the focus form this point on. So "windowshade screens" (flexable screens that Roll out of the device for movie or game playing) will something that is palyed with
    08-21-09 10:39 AM
    Not sure I like the idea of my Blackberry being implanted.

Given that I've had to have mine replaced due to faulty parts about 5 times i the last year - I think having my head opened for re-implantation that often might be a little inconvenient!
    08-24-09 07:50 AM
    Hmmm 2014-2019? Some of these were already mentioned but..

From the software perspective:
    A good browser, move away from the grid placement for the home screen and menus as a default, let me download a 1gb file, and make it so I don't need to do a battery pull every other day. Give users a colorful and completely customizable UI - if I want to browse files I should do it natively without a 3rd party program. If I want to change my icons it shouldn't be a new theme. Come to think of it, let me create themes on my device. Let me change resolution of my device on demand.

Hardware wise:
    Over 2Gb of memory for apps is a must.
    Video card to render HD video and 32bit color upgrade that screen and let's see full resolution. -impress me.
    Camera with a Projector built in. Nikon already did this..imagine doing presentations on your BB without a projector.
    Fingerprint reader on screen...do away with the lock button.
    Laser pointer..presentations lol

08-24-09 05:55 PM
    I would like to pay my bills on my bb.

08-26-09 11:36 AM
    Sorry to derail the humor with a serious post, but here goes.

By 2014 I expect smartphones to have the functionality of today's upper-middle ranged notebooks, plus all of the features of the current smartphone. I expect them to be longer and wider, but thinner than the smartphones of today, with touchscreens being predominant.

By 2019 things will likely make a huge leap forward. Wireless connectivity to other devices such as headphones for sound and sunglasses for GPS directions will be common and memory constraints will be almost non-existant. Your smartphone will change from being a vital device to becoming the input point for all of your devices. It will have a larger screen and a projector for even larger viewing. Smartphones will no longer be luxuries, but become standard accessories for everyone. People will buy their smartphone before they buy their TV. All tv advertising will be designed for smartphone viewing in addition to TV viewing. We will shift from our desktop computers being the fundamental platform of choice, to our smartphone--because we will use it more than our desktop.

08-26-09 07:30 PM
    Wow. I love all these ideas. I hope RIM is watching.

08-28-09 06:35 PM
    Discreet speech real time translation. Speech to text translate text to speech. Universal translator in your pocket.

08-28-09 09:42 PM
    id like my bb2014 to go to work for me and generate enough money to pay my bills and pay for my traveling habit LOL.

if only this were a perfect world lol
    nice one, let me know when they are done with the development
    08-29-09 01:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD