Is BlackBerry's Z10 Better Than iPhone5 and Nexus 4? - AAPL, BBRY, GOOG, RCI - Foolish Blogging Network

Is BlackBerry's Z10 Better Than iPhone5 and Nexus 4?
    By Masam Abbas - February 20, 2013 | Tickers: AAPL, BBRY, GOOG, RCI | 36 Comments

Share on email
    Email
    Print
    Masam is a member of The Motley Fool Blog Network -- entries represent the personal opinions of our bloggers and are not formally edited.

Since its introduction on Jan. 30, Research In Motion�s (NASDAQ: BBRY) BlackBerry Z10 has been one of the hottest topics in the tech spheres. Where the bears have been absolutely skeptical about the new product�s pricing vs. features story, bulls have made up some strong arguments that suggest that the product might be a hit, especially given its superior features as compared to rival products.

The initial impressions of the Z10 have been favorable: Users have been impressed with the device build quality and overall usability. The 4.2� display size imparts a convenient one-handed usage experience. The Flow, Hub, and Active Tiles features have made the OS quite fluid and responsive. Users have suggested that Z10 has a superior set of keyboard, camera and browser than Apple�s (NASDAQ: AAPL) iPhone5 and Google�s (NASDAQ: GOOG) Nexus 4 (currently considered as the best Android phone)

Browser: Browser is an important feature since experts believe that an advanced browser will be a strong differentiator for mobile devices going forward, as content consumption is shifting from native apps to the browser. The browser on the Z10 is as fast, if not faster, than the browsers of the other two devices. BlackBerry�s browser is clearly better equipped to handle HTML5 pages. However, on the JavaScript test, iPhone5 scored highest (as indicated by the lowest timing on SunSpider), while BlackBerry came out marginally better than Android.

For context, the Ringmark test, created by Facebook, tests a mobile browser for how well it supports the capabilities that modern mobile web apps require. BlackBerry�s browser is one of the first browsers to pass the first two rings (0 and 1) of this test.

Keyboard: Z10�s keyboard is clearly the best. While the error rate is not much higher on the Nexus 4 or iPhone5 keyboard, the speed of typing is definitely higher on the Z10. The predictive feature on the keyboard is quite accurate and useful. Moreover, with continued use the keyboard�s predictive capabilities improve by customizing to the user�s linguistic nuances, something not offered by �Swype� and other similar features on other keyboards. One-handed typing was quite convenient on the Z10, unlike the experience on other two devices. The keyboard also integrates well with the Flow concept of the OS, making the overall user experience very smooth and fluid.

Maps: The maps feature is the only feature that the users have found better in the other two devices. According to a test run, the routing and navigation information on the Z10 was in line with Google Maps. However, the traffic information wasn�t exactly accurate on the Z10, while Nexus 4 and iPhone5 were a lot closer to actual conditions. It is interesting to note that BlackBerry�s native map application uses TomTom data, similar to iPhone5, while Nexus 4 uses Google Maps.

Camera: The Z10�s camera packs a couple of interesting and differentiated features. First and most notably, the Time Shift feature enables the user to separately edit each individual in a photograph, by moving forward and backward in time in fractions of a second to select the best shot. This adds to the �cool� factor on the device and is a significant differentiator in the market today. The second interesting feature is that the camera allows the user to shift the positioning of the focus by dragging the viewfinder on the screen. In addition, the editing software has Instagram-like features, which somewhat makes up for the fact that Instagram is currently not available.

Consumer reviews have been largely positive so far: There has largely been positive feedback for the device. The average rating for Z10 on Rogers, Telus, Carphone Warehouse, and Vodafone UK, is over 4 out of 5 stars. The features most commonly liked are the keyboard, the unified Hub, Flow, and Time Shift on the camera. Among the concerns highlighted, the leading ones were the limited apps availability and a shorter battery life than traditional BlackBerry devices. Interesting to note is that there is lack of any major issue with the device.

Encouraging early data points from BlackBerry and carrier partners: Rogers Communication (NYSE: RCI) said it had sold more BlackBerry smartphones on the Canada launch day than any other day in Rogers history, with thousands of Z10 smartphones activated. It also reported that some stores had temporarily sold out of the Z10 inventory and fresh inventory was being shipped. In the UK, retail partner Phones 4u issued a press release noting exceptional first week sales, with over 55% of its 680 stores running out of inventory.

Foolish Bottom Line

The Street is extremely bullish on this phone given the favorable reviews that it has received since its release. Given that BlackBerry expects massive incremental revenues from this product, the success of this product has led me to take a bullish stance on this stock. A major test for the device will be what happens when it reaches the US.

-jeff
    02-21-13 07:23 AM
    I think it has the potential to compete initially, and if BB will focus on this OS and not the number of devices it can churn out, I believe that it can be something special.
    DJM626 likes this.
    02-21-13 07:50 AM
    The best phone is what best suits your needs.

Posted via CB10
    Masahiro, EsJayDee, bekkay and 2 others like this.
    02-21-13 08:37 AM
    with all the success the z10 has seen overseas, I'm really curious how it will do in the US. Sadly, a lot of my non-BB coworkers/friends have no idea that the z & q are coming out. On the flip side, my BB buddies can't wait for the z. I think pricing will play a factor in how it's received too. I know a lot of friends got the S3 simply because it was a free device.
    02-21-13 09:55 AM
    As I don't know the answer to this question I am curious - hopefully someone with knowledge can speak to it, maybe the devs here who have been great answering questions like this . HTML5 scores, BB10 is 485 and Dolphin Beta is 469 according to that HTML5test.com Is there an appreciable difference that one would notice?

Now I understand the above is comparing the stock browsers, and Chrome is a lot lower, but I am just curious as to functionality and the weight of these scores.

I personally like Dolphin and I use one little thing about it - the ability to mimic iPhone - allows me to access one site I need to for my business that is only available to iPhones and it's been on each of my Android phones, and I don't know why they call it the Beta Engine, works very well.
    02-21-13 11:01 AM
    I personally don't understand why people would even consider the Nexus phone the best Android experience. That phone is riddled with problems from poor battery life and pinch to zoom is horrendous.

Would think it would be amazing being it is vanilla Android.

Not to mention no SD slot or removable battery for many is a big no-no.

In the end that is just my opinion though.... Kinda how that article was.

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    02-21-13 11:10 AM
    The best phone is what best suits your needs.

Posted via CB10
    Quoted for truth.
    02-21-13 11:22 AM
    You came to a Blackberry site asking this question. I highly doubt that a high number of people on this site would recommend anything non-Blackberry. As someone already said, it's what best suits your needs.
    02-21-13 12:43 PM
    Depending on how much advertising Blackberry does in the US and how much the carriers do, more and more people will know about it the closer we get to actually having here in the states.
    02-21-13 01:06 PM
    Depending on how much advertising Blackberry does in the US and how much the carriers do, more and more people will know about it the closer we get to actually having here in the states.
    Considering I have seen absolutely zero advertising since the Super Bowl, virtually nobody here has a clue about the launch and the carriers doing nothing to get the word out, I can't imagine this launch in the US generating any buzz. Outside of the corporate world (where Blackberry is losing market share here,) they are an after thought at this point.
    02-21-13 03:08 PM
    Considering I have seen absolutely zero advertising since the Super Bowl, virtually nobody here has a clue about the launch and the carriers doing nothing to get the word out, I can't imagine this launch in the US generating any buzz. Outside of the corporate world (where Blackberry is losing market share here,) they are an after thought at this point.
    Link please!
    02-21-13 04:59 PM
    It's possible that it is. But it will take to prove that. Till then it's the only phone for me.
    02-21-13 06:09 PM
    It depends totally on the users' needs.....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-21-13 06:10 PM
    hmmmm, yes! IMO.
    02-21-13 06:16 PM
    I think its a nice phone for sure, but I think its missing features. For many IOS and Android users, there isnt a ton of reasons to leave their platform. Im still getting one, but like others said, what works best for u is the best device
    02-21-13 11:42 PM
    All depends on the user's need, or in some sad cases depends on peer pressure.

Since the Z10 won't be coming to the US for a few more weeks, advertising now will only be a waste of money and generate sour consumer sentiments (as we've seen on the forum already - and I'm not saying this in a bad way). I think it will be more prudent if they start aggressive advertising a week before or on the day the phone is actually available for purchase.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 12:18 AM
    In Canada the in store displays have been much better than in the past. They could do more work on that end by at least posting schematics of the basic four swipe gestures. Anyone who is really interested will want to try it out in the store and IF YOU CAN FIND ONE THAT IS ACTUALLY WORKING .. there are no instructions on what to do. That is how I like to buy a phone ... try it out without having someone hovering over me.

Overall for the USA I would like to see an incentive program to entice current BB owners to upgrade. Corporate sector getting the best deal possible on bulk orders.
    02-22-13 10:35 AM
    The N4 is cheap but chronically flawed. Without a removable battery or expandable memory the phone is useless to me and many others no matter how well it may perform in other areas. There have been numerous reports of the glass back cracking after subtle temperature changes, buzzing earpieces, yellowing of the screen, severe battery drain, proximity sensor issues and spontaneous shut downs. There are more issues that have been popping up with some regularity but these are the most common. Also with the recent Android update, surreptitious LTE activity has been blocked. I kinda get the phone from a price point perspective, but what I don't get is the constant barrage from Fandroids that the N4 is as significant as the second coming of Christ! As it stands it is far from being a great phone and only just qualifies as a not bad one. Why people compare the N4.to devices such as the SIII, iPhone5, or the Z10 I have no idea. A much more sensible comparison is to the 610/620 Nokias.
    02-22-13 11:24 AM
    The N4 is cheap but chronically flawed. Without a removable battery or expandable memory the phone is useless to me and many others no matter how well it may perform in other areas. There have been numerous reports of the glass back cracking after subtle temperature changes, buzzing earpieces, yellowing of the screen, severe battery drain, proximity sensor issues and spontaneous shut downs. There are more issues that have been popping up with some regularity but these are the most common. Also with the recent Android update, surreptitious LTE activity has been blocked. I kinda get the phone from a price point perspective, but what I don't get is the constant barrage from Fandroids that the N4 is as significant as the second coming of Christ! As it stands it is far from being a great phone and only just qualifies as a not bad one. Why people compare the N4.to devices such as the SIII, iPhone5, or the Z10 I have no idea. A much more sensible comparison is to the 610/620 Nokias.
    N4's biggest strength is the ecosystem (IMHO). That's what may make it more compelling than the Z10 for the average user. Toss in the low cost, and here you have it.
    02-22-13 12:18 PM
    It's articles like this taht keep mentioning the relative weakness of the browser while others claim it's brilliant. Tests keep showing it's nothing special and nowhere near the top of the league as most Blackberry fans keep claiming. Am I right about this?
    02-22-13 01:38 PM
    As a Blackbery user since the first pager, I am stuck on Blackberry and very excited about the power that will soon be at my finger tips.I can say blackberry is better than any other phone, but I would be wrong. It is your choice. My wife started with the first Iphone, she has tried all my prevous blackberry's and can't get use to them. So she is happy. My daughter is locked in now with Samsung Galaxy S3 and also can't get use to my blackberry. Will they both change there minds after I get the Z10? Only time will tell. The bottom line is that as Blackberry users, we will always say our phones are the best for our own reason, Iphone/Android users will say the same for there own reasons. So whos wrong? No one, it is what you enjoy. Now GO LAKERS!!!!!
    BL3 likes this.
    02-22-13 04:24 PM
    I have had terrible experiences with LG phones, and this made me wary despite the attractive pricing. I could never really buy into the iPhone and this was mainly the inability to get a lower cost plan that suited my needs. Not a big fan of Apple at any rate, mainly for the sheep that keep forking over large sums of money in order to feel like they are on top of things.

However from a phone standpoint, I keep saying that people who are satisfied with the Apple product don't really have a need to upgrade, and we can't deny Apple's outstanding work in the usability department that has been in refinement since the original Mac. Blackberry also owes a lot to Apple for making the smartphone market what it is.

I also thought Blackberries were crap, and getting a paranoid Torch from my employer didn`t help to change my opinion. But a funny thing happened.... I got a Playbook and loved it, and after leaving my job I realized that the Torch was pretty decent ONCE you took the trouble of getting it set up right and learned all of its features. I dumped my LG 2X and went back to Black last year, in anticipation of BB10.

Is the Z10 a better phone? Yes, if you are frustrated with trying to get your phone to suit your working style. If you have matured and need to get things done, and manage a busy life, the Z10 is the best option. iPhones are no longer in with the fashionistas, where it is more important to be seen with one. Tinkerers will still be enamoured with the openness of Android, and this is not a bad thing either. But Android is not suitable as a mass-market OS because it does not give a good user experience, but since it is cheap people will buy it. However they will probably upgrade to something else better and this is where Blackberry will benefit.
    abwan11 likes this.
    02-23-13 09:44 PM
    Not everyone needs a removable battery or an SD card slot. Nexus 4 is more powerful than the Galaxy S III and Z10...and also the iPhone 5 (slightly less powerful GPU in the N4 compared to the iPhone 5).
    Nobody in their right mind will compare this to the 620 when it's practically the same as the LG Optimus G.
    02-24-13 05:07 AM
    As many have said with the Z10, it's all about the software.
    The N4 will always have the latest and greatest of Android. That's worth the price of admission for many in itself.
    You did not just compare the Nexus to a mid/lower end WinPhone. Tell me you didn't. Do you get what people buy smartphones for?

I have had terrible experiences with LG phones, and this made me wary despite the attractive pricing. I could never really buy into the iPhone and this was mainly the inability to get a lower cost plan that suited my needs. Not a big fan of Apple at any rate, mainly for the sheep that keep forking over large sums of money in order to feel like they are on top of things.

However from a phone standpoint, I keep saying that people who are satisfied with the Apple product don't really have a need to upgrade, and we can't deny Apple's outstanding work in the usability department that has been in refinement since the original Mac. Blackberry also owes a lot to Apple for making the smartphone market what it is.

I also thought Blackberries were crap, and getting a paranoid Torch from my employer didn`t help to change my opinion. But a funny thing happened.... I got a Playbook and loved it, and after leaving my job I realized that the Torch was pretty decent ONCE you took the trouble of getting it set up right and learned all of its features. I dumped my LG 2X and went back to Black last year, in anticipation of BB10.

Is the Z10 a better phone? Yes, if you are frustrated with trying to get your phone to suit your working style. If you have matured and need to get things done, and manage a busy life, the Z10 is the best option. iPhones are no longer in with the fashionistas, where it is more important to be seen with one. Tinkerers will still be enamoured with the openness of Android, and this is not a bad thing either. But Android is not suitable as a mass-market OS because it does not give a good user experience, but since it is cheap people will buy it. However they will probably upgrade to something else better and this is where Blackberry will benefit.
    The Z10 is for mature people who like getting things done?
    Wait for the support to come, then you can hope to say something like that.
    Right now, if you want to get banking done, or gaming done, or cross platform chat done, the Z10 isn't going to get it done.
    And if you want email done, anything is better. Anything.
    So what exactly can you get done on the Z10 in its current form that you can't get done on any other OS?

It's got a great and fun interface that's addictive.
    That is not what people who need to get things done need, at the expense of functionality.
    02-24-13 06:07 AM
    You just lost all credibility. Never post again.
    02-24-13 09:24 AM
30 12