I wonder BlackBerry is trying to sell more people phones that are unlocked. A phone locked to a carrier has to wait for updates and a phone bought off Amazon and from BlackBerry don't. I think john Chen wants everybody updated faster kinda like how apple does it. That way people won't complain as much if there's a patch that needs to be sent out.

Look at when the Z10 first came out. On AT&T, we had to wait MONTHS for the update so that the phone would stop rebooting. I think that's what made a lot of people turn the phones back in or sell them. This is the easiest way to ease of of the carriers control but be able to still sell phones to people who need it thru the carrier.

Posted via my BeastBerry Z30
    gokulesh likes this.
    10-08-14 09:57 AM
    Interesting idea. Possible.
    10-08-14 09:59 AM
    You won't get OTA updates any faster through an unlocked phone than a locked phone because the updates you get are completely dependent on the SIM card installed in the phone. Unless you've got a separate, active card for each carrier, you're stuck waiting like the rest.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    tomsobon likes this.
    10-08-14 10:11 AM
    This would make perfect sense if I could order a passport from them. I mean even a preorder would be great to determine demand and supply enough product.

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    10-08-14 11:09 AM
    You won't get OTA updates any faster through an unlocked phone than a locked phone because the updates you get are completely dependent on the SIM card installed in the phone. Unless you've got a separate, active card for each carrier, you're stuck waiting like the rest.

JB

I have an unlocked Z10. I was under the assumption that when an official update from BB comes out I'd be able to update via Link. Is that not the case?
    10-08-14 11:09 AM
    I have an unlocked Z10. I was under the assumption that when an official update from BB comes out I'd be able to update via Link. Is that not the case?
    Yes it is the case. We unlocked a Roger z10, put in a Bell Sim, searched for updates and updated the OS. No issues what so ever and perhaps and I only say this because it has been discussed by others, you avoid the carriers bloatware so to speak. I do not have a reference to that however.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 11:24 AM
    I'm pretty sure my unlocked Z10 I bought from BlackBerry got an update that other actual T-Mobile Z10's didn't get....pretty sure it did lol

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 12:33 PM
    Can't speak about about current BBM devices, but my unlocked Galaxy Nexus got updates way faster than T-Mobile branded devices.
    10-08-14 01:37 PM
    Can't speak about about current BBM devices, but my unlocked Galaxy Nexus got updates way faster than T-Mobile branded devices.
    Nexus gets updates direct from Google that's why just like Apple

Posted via CrackBerry App
    10-08-14 05:12 PM
    I'm pretty sure my unlocked Z10 I bought from BlackBerry got an update that other actual T-Mobile Z10's didn't get....pretty sure it did lol

Posted via CB10
    Would've been before bbry closed that hole

Fyi it left z10 open to attack and rooting from rogue towers or fem2cell attacks

10-08-14 05:13 PM
    Would've been before bbry closed that hole

Fyi it left z10 open to attack and rooting from rogue towers or fem2cell attacks

You do not know what you are talking about. Stop spreading lies.
    10-10-14 12:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    OTA or via Link?

JB

10-10-14 12:19 PM
    You do not know what you are talking about. Stop spreading lies.
    It'd just Phi....nothing new here.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 12:59 PM
    OTA or via Link?

JB

It was OTA

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 05:19 PM
    What is the story behind phi anyway? Did he try to hack BlackBerry and failed?

#BBFactCheck
    10-10-14 06:13 PM