BlackBerry's vision for mobile computing...

"We will soon give you more ways to connect your mobile experiences and yourself not just to other people, but to the whole world around you. You will be in the middle of your personal internet of things, constantly connected to all your information in real time. And with BlackBerry's secure network and mobile computing end point capability, we will be a leader in connecting you to your internet of things. And this is what being connected will mean in the future. We have created a platform that is able to work with other machines to extend you and your information beyond the mobile device to a car, to your home, to your healthcare system, or wherever you are. This is the promise of the BlackBerry 10 platform."
    -Thorsten Heins, Jan 30/13

What do you suppose it means? Is it a compelling concept?
    08-25-13 04:12 PM

"We will soon give you more ways to connect your mobile experiences and yourself not just to other people, but to the whole world around you. You will be in the middle of your personal internet of things, constantly connected to all your information in real time. And with BlackBerry's secure network and mobile computing end point capability, we will be a leader in connecting you to your internet of things. And this is what being connected will mean in the future. We have created a platform that is able to work with other machines to extend you and your information beyond the mobile device to a car, to your home, to your healthcare system, or wherever you are. This is the promise of the BlackBerry 10 platform."

It's a concept, but it's too high level. Needs detail.
    bob_tn likes this.
    08-25-13 04:20 PM
    A key term in that statement is Internet of Things. Internet of Things - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What he means is that the new BlackBerry will be more than just a communication appliance, more than a device that connects you to other people and data, but a machine that connects your to your other machines on the Internet of Things, one day.
    08-25-13 04:23 PM

It's a scary concept if you ask me. I want my car to be just a car, my fridge to be just a fridge and my home to be just a home.
    08-25-13 04:29 PM
    What does it mean? lol I read all that and feel like they could've simply wrote "coming soon" cause that's what they basically said haha

Posted via CB10
    h20work and richardat like this.
    08-25-13 04:34 PM
    "We will soon give you more ways to connect your mobile experiences and yourself not just to other people, but to the whole world around you. You will be in the middle of your personal internet of things, constantly connected to all your information in real time. "

I think it's a compelling concept and I'm living it right now. Yesterday I went out for an early morning bike ride. I strapped on my Zephyr heart rate monitor because Endomondo calculates calories burnt a lot better with that info. I already had on the new Pebble smartwatch that I'm trying out. I brought my Galaxy S3 phone along of course, fired off Endomondo, placed the phone in my backpack and went out for a ride. Oh almost forgot to mention the stereo BT headset I for music and calls. At one point during the ride someone sent me a text message and I was able to see what it was about by glancing at my wrist. Later after stopping Endomondo, my track and workout stats including heartrate gets uploaded to the cloud. (Everything here I actually did the last time I went for a long ride)

I stopped at a favorite breakfast place. While I was there, there were a few things I could have done. I could check what's going on at home using the Trendnet security camera. I could check or adjust the temperature and using the Nest thermostat. I could stream music or grab any file I want from my 6TB Synology NAS using the Synology apps. ( I didn't actually do these things, this is a true story after all, but I could have.)

There's a Pocketfinder GPS tracker that is hidden in the school backpack of the little one. On school days, the app will let me know when the tracker enters or leaves a geofenced area. It gives me great peace of mind.

At home I can of course watch phone media on the big TV using DLNA on the WDTV Live. And the other way around, I can directly watch media from the NAS using DLNA on the tablet. I also have the Chromecast on order. When I have some spare time, I'll fool around with Micasaverde home automation systems so I can control the house using voice control Tony Stark style. I'm also waiting to add Google Glass to my personal internet of things.
    Last edited by notfanboy; 08-25-13 at 04:58 PM.
    richardat likes this.
    08-25-13 04:39 PM
    I think it's a compelling concept and I'm living it right now. Yesterday I went out for an early morning bike ride. I strapped on my Zephyr heart rate monitor because Endomondo calculates calories burnt a lot better with that info. I already had on the new Pebble smartwatch that I'm trying out. I brought my Galaxy S3 phone along of course, fired off Endomondo, placed the phone in my backpack and went out for a ride. Oh almost forgot to mention the stereo BT headset I for music and calls. At one point during the ride someone sent me a text message and I was able to see what it was about by glancing at my wrist. Later after stopping Endomondo, my track and workout stats including heartrate gets uploaded to the cloud. (Everything here I actually did the last time I went for a long ride)

I stopped at a favorite breakfast place. While I was there, there were a few things I could have done. I could check what's going on at home using the Trendnet security camera. I could check or adjust the temperature and using the Nest thermostat. I could stream music or grab any file I want from my 6TB Synology NAS using the Synology apps. ( I didn't actually do these things, this is a true story after all, but I could have.)

There's a Pocketfinder GPS tracker that is hidden in the school backpack of the little one. On school days, the app will let me know when the tracker enters or leaves a geofenced area. It gives me great peace of mind.

At home I can of course watch phone media on the big TV using DLNA on the WDTV Live. And the other way around, I can directly watch media from the NAS using DLNA on the tablet. I also have the Chromecast on order. When I have some spare time, I'll fool around with Micasaverde home automation systems so I can control the house using voice control Tony Stark style. I'm also waiting to add Google Glass to my personal internet of things.
    Wow, just wow, don't you think that's a little over the top?
    08-25-13 05:04 PM
    They need to watch the new Microsoft commercial that show Window 8 on any device.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 06:24 PM
    Wow, just wow, don't you think that's a little over the top?
    No I don't. It improves my quality of life in varying degrees. The most valuable one is the GPS tracker increases my child's safety and improves my peace of mind. That's priceless. The TV stuff is probably the least valuable, and honestly doesn't improve my life a whole lot.

Did you think it was over the top when Thorsten said it? I just happen to be living it. Well, me and a lot of other people who are on supported platforms.
    08-25-13 06:37 PM

Mind = blown

I don't know if I will ever use all that. I do like the child tracker thing. Very nice. I still think this is not the present situation for a large number of people. You are very lucky to be able to utilize such personal technology at your fingertips (and wrist). You're living in the future! Haha. Very cool.
    08-25-13 06:55 PM

It means that Blackberry will finally, maybe, one day in the future, catch up to the competition. See post 6 for clarification.

Other than that is was just smoke and mirrors to keep the Blackberry faithful in the flock.

Thor is no more a visionary on the future of tech than a pet rock.

If his powers of prediction concerning tech were any good, he would of predicted a better outcome for the Playbook, Z10, Q10 and Q5.
    08-25-13 09:06 PM

This wasn't Thors vision to start with. It was Mike L.'s vision.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 01:25 AM

A lot of this stuff, as notafan boy has pointed out, is already available on other platforms, or like the car thing, will be very soon.
    08-26-13 01:59 AM
    Blackberry's mobile computing vision.

richardat likes this.
    08-26-13 04:32 AM