I have never really seen the media claim that Blackberry phones are inferior in security (or even just at par) with the competition.

All they've helpfully pointed out is that the average consumer has no use for military level encryption in his/her phone.
    Just a few examples...

http://www.zdnet.com/ios-6-granted-f...se-7000015019/

http://www.citeworld.com/security/21...rry-10s-future

http://m.cnet.com/news/blackberry-10...-u.k./57575253
    01-26-14 03:50 AM
    Now you're grasping at straws. Not a single one of those links supports your claims.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    01-26-14 06:17 AM
    Now you're grasping at straws. Not a single one of those links supports your claims.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    The first two imply that other platforms are just as secure, and the last one is a big fat lie about how the UK government rejected BlackBerry 10 because it's not secure enough.

From the first article:

"Move over, BlackBerry. iPhones and iPads running iOS 6 are now certified for low-level secure government use."

From the second article:

"Pentagon approval of iOS and Samsung KNOX clouds BlackBerry's future"
    "BlackBerry's latest piece of good news, that the Pentagon had certified the company's new BlackBerry 10 OS for use on Department of Defense (DOD) networks, comes with some bad news for the troubled smartphone maker. Similar approvals are expected to be issued for Samsung and Apple devices."

The certifications Apple and Samsung were given are not the same as the ones BlackBerry 10 has, but every single article on this subject failed to mention this.
    01-26-14 07:37 AM
    As correctly stated by Texazzpete, "All they've helpfully pointed out is that the average consumer has no use for military level encryption in his/her phone."

BB has always held an advantage with devices and on networks that provide high-grade protected communications. The problem for BB is that few ordinary consumers care enough about security in their daily phone use for that to be a buying consideration.

Enterprises care about security. Probably not to the same paranoia-inducing levels as government departments, but they do care. That's probably why Chen has announced that he's re-focusing on enterprises... because security may actually be BB's trump card in that game.

But, success is not a given for BB10.

As was pointed out (maybe here, maybe on another of the many Pentagon "win that wasn't" threads), it's legacy BB devices that are most desirable to those enterprises - if your wonderfully secure government-issue 9930 breaks, it's replaced with another 9930. Not a BB10 handset.
    01-26-14 08:34 AM
    As correctly stated by Texazzpete, "All they've helpfully pointed out is that the average consumer has no use for military level encryption in his/her phone."

BB has always held an advantage with devices and on networks that provide high-grade protected communications. The problem for BB is that few ordinary consumers care enough about security in their daily phone use for that to be a buying consideration.

Enterprises care about security. Probably not to the same paranoia-inducing levels as government departments, but they do care. That's probably why Chen has announced that he's re-focusing on enterprises... because security may actually be BB's trump card in that game.

But, success is not a given for BB10.

As was pointed out (maybe here, maybe on another of the many Pentagon "win that wasn't" threads), it's legacy BB devices that are most desirable to those enterprises - if your wonderfully secure government-issue 9930 breaks, it's replaced with another 9930. Not a BB10 handset.
    That's because governments rarely spend money on new technology. BlackBerry 10 is as solid as BlackBerry OS7 in terms of security, but it has the added benefit of being a modern OS. I don't think BBOS7 is more desirable, it's just cheaper to use existing devices.
    01-26-14 08:59 AM
    That's because governments rarely spend money on new technology. BlackBerry 10 is as solid as BlackBerry OS7 in terms of security, but it has the added benefit of being a modern OS. I don't think BBOS7 is more desirable, it's just cheaper to use existing devices.
    Why would we want our governments to spend more tax payers money on a more "modern" OS when the old one does the job and is most likely already paid for? Should we also buy them BMWs? Put them up in 5 star hotels? Fly them first class?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    JeepBB and m1a1mg like this.
    01-26-14 09:27 AM
    It's actually legacy bb devices not bb10,

Per the op's link:

"To reiterate an ongoing development, a new Pentagon system will predominately support the golden standard-BlackBerry, across 98% of the active devices when the new defensewide system begins rollout at the end of month. Around 80,000 (legacy) BlackBerry devices and less than 2,000 Android and iOS devices will be supported at launch. Volumes of which are being transitioned over from the old system. While small on the cross platform holdings at launch; the system is part of a move away from traditional work stations to a mobile first mentality for data access which allows data to be protected within the walls or the organization, and secured when outside them."

Perhaps a mod should edit the title of the thread to reflect as much.
    Presumably 40,000 BB10 Devices Within DoD Inventories |
    01-26-14 09:44 AM
    I'm probably gonna get in trouble for this, but I don't care. I've been sitting on my hands and not responding to this kind crap for too long.

How come whenever one of these BYOD and 'authority to operate' type stories comes out for any other platform, it's the end of the world for BlackBerry, but when it's announced for BlackBerry, it means nothing? I see the same handful of posters bombarding thread after thread, nitpicking whatever little detail they can find to either minimize or flat out negate the relevance of what is generally perceived as good news. Once again its becoming 'let no parade go un-pi$$ed on'. Please reread the original post, and tell me how, at a time when everyone is predicting BlackBerry's fall from dominance in government and enterprise, this is not a positive thing for BlackBerry. I don't get it. Every one of these threads deteriorates to the same bickering with most of the same posters in the middle of it. Enough, please. Can we please just stick to the STORY being reported? Maybe just once?
    ray689 and bambinoitaliano like this.
    01-26-14 10:13 AM
    I'm probably gonna get in trouble for this, but I don't care. I've been sitting on my hands and not responding to this kind crap for too long.

How come whenever one of these BYOD and 'authority to operate' type stories comes out for any other platform, it's the end of the world for BlackBerry, but when it's announced for BlackBerry, it means nothing? I see the same handful of posters bombarding thread after thread, nitpicking whatever little detail they can find to either minimize or flat out negate the relevance of what is generally perceived as good news. Once again its becoming 'let no parade go un-pi$$ed on'. Please reread the original post, and tell me how, at a time when everyone is predicting BlackBerry's fall from dominance in government and enterprise, this is not a positive thing for BlackBerry. I don't get it. Every one of these threads deteriorates to the same bickering with most of the same posters in the middle of it. Enough, please. Can we please just stick to the STORY being reported? Maybe just once?
    Perhaps this article will explain why the recurring episodes.....
    No Pain, No Gain: Why We Punish Ourselves | Psychology Today
    01-26-14 10:36 AM

I acknowledge the intent of your post, if not the content. I think most are sticking to the story. But the real story, not the one promised in the OP.

Shall we hide our heads in the sand when the truth rears it's ugly head. Should those of us who pointed out, quite correctly I might add, that the story was good news, however not the whole story, have not posted at all in fears of upsetting the cart?

Several members have been posting about this story since last summer when we knew it was coming. Now, when it is implemented, I simply pointed out the incorrect assumptions. I'm sorry if that offended you. I am not hear to bash BB. But merely to clear up something that I am intimately involved in.
    01-27-14 09:18 AM
    I acknowledge the intent of your post, if not the content. I think most are sticking to the story. But the real story, not the one promised in the OP.

Shall we hide our heads in the sand when the truth rears it's ugly head. Should those of us who pointed out, quite correctly I might add, that the story was good news, however not the whole story, have not posted at all in fears of upsetting the cart?

Several members have been posting about this story since last summer when we knew it was coming. Now, when it is implemented, I simply pointed out the incorrect assumptions. I'm sorry if that offended you. I am not hear to bash BB. But merely to clear up something that I am intimately involved in.
    1 - that tirade was not aimed at you.
    2 - no, we shall not hide our heads in the sand, and most of us do not. But there are far more productive ways to set the story straight than the tone with which certain people choose to use; yours, for example, was to the point, and the tone being informative rather than condescending and corrective is one of those more productive ways.
    3 - I am not offended; I'm just tired of the constant stream of negativity by a certain few who feel that it is their job to enlighten the rest of us by regularly beating people about the head and face with a crow bar.
    m1a1mg and ray689 like this.
    01-27-14 04:04 PM
    Well said, sir.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    01-27-14 06:39 PM
    Crackberry users are starting to sound like the Republican party in the US. Legacy fans are like the Tea Party. Sad really. We should all be thankful that ANY BlackBerry device is doing good...anywhere.
    02-01-14 10:56 AM
63 123