Source: BlackBerrys to make up 98% of DoD mobile devices at platform launch -

Good stuff!!

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    ray689, nt300, BB10user07 and 4 others like this.
    01-18-14 02:36 PM
    Good news keeps rolling in. Love it.

Edit: the shorts might not enjoy that too much .

Posted via CB10
    SirJes likes this.
    01-18-14 02:39 PM
    I don't see how this is either good or bad news. It doesn't say anything about the trend of future DoD devices.

Well, I guess it's moderately good news in that it reveals that 98% of DoD devices are still Blackberries; but, these are not necessarily BB10 devices and may be phased out in the future. Also, I'm not sure we didn't already know that the bulk of DoD devices are currently Blackberries.

What BBRY really needs is a news headline that simply states "Blackberries will make up 98% of DoD mobile devices" instead of just during the platform launch, especially when we already know DoD is testing/approved competitor devices.
    01-19-14 02:20 PM
    I don't see how this is either good or bad news. It doesn't say anything about the trend of future DoD devices.

Well, I guess it's moderately good news in that it reveals that 98% of DoD devices are still Blackberries; but, these are not necessarily BB10 devices and may be phased out in the future. Also, I'm not sure we didn't already know that the bulk of DoD devices are currently Blackberries.

What BBRY really needs is a news headline that simply states "Blackberries will make up 98% of DoD mobile devices" instead of just during the platform launch, especially when we already know DoD is testing/approved competitor devices.
    the NEW BlackBerry doesn't care which device you are using, as long as you are using BES10. They will be making money off each BES user, whether it's iOS, Android or BB.

If the BES10 user chooses BlackBerry devices, then that's a bonus to BlackBerry.

Also, the way Chen is positioning the NEW BlackBerry, they will do everything in their power to get governments on BES10 and BlackBerry devices.
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-19-14 02:33 PM
    It's actually legacy bb devices not bb10,

Per the op's link:

"To reiterate an ongoing development, a new Pentagon system will predominately support the golden standard-BlackBerry, across 98% of the active devices when the new defensewide system begins rollout at the end of month. Around 80,000 (legacy) BlackBerry devices and less than 2,000 Android and iOS devices will be supported at launch. Volumes of which are being transitioned over from the old system. While small on the cross platform holdings at launch; the system is part of a move away from traditional work stations to a mobile first mentality for data access which allows data to be protected within the walls or the organization, and secured when outside them."

Perhaps a mod should edit the title of the thread to reflect as much.
    01-19-14 02:40 PM

Why? What does the title of the article read....and is it false?

CB10'n it via da Z
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    01-19-14 02:48 PM
    Why? What does the title of the article read....and is it false?

CB10'n it via da Z
    It's legacy blackberry's not bb10.
    01-19-14 02:49 PM
    It's legacy blackberry's not bb10.
    The title of the thread doesn't say that Again....why?

CB10'n it via da Z
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    01-19-14 02:51 PM

CB10'n it via da Z
    Don't bother man.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 02:53 PM

CB10'n it via da Z
    Click the link. It's in the body.
    01-19-14 02:53 PM
    Don't bother man.

Posted via CB10
    Good advice. Guess I took the bait

CB10'n it via da Z
    01-19-14 02:54 PM
    It's actually legacy bb devices not bb10,

Per the op's link:

"To reiterate an ongoing development, a new Pentagon system will predominately support the golden standard-BlackBerry, across 98% of the active devices when the new defensewide system begins rollout at the end of month. Around 80,000 (legacy) BlackBerry devices and less than 2,000 Android and iOS devices will be supported at launch. Volumes of which are being transitioned over from the old system. While small on the cross platform holdings at launch; the system is part of a move away from traditional work stations to a mobile first mentality for data access which allows data to be protected within the walls or the organization, and secured when outside them."

Its BB10 Devices, the only ones that are ATO approved. This is what I got from reading several news releases.
    01-19-14 03:56 PM
    Its BB10 Devices, the only ones that are ATO approved. This is what I got from reading several news releases.
    That's not what the op's link states, it states that those 80,000 are legacy bb not bb10.

Anyway Blackberry would have issued a press release had it been bb10, they haven't.
    01-19-14 08:31 PM
    That's not what the op's link states, it states that those 80,000 are legacy bb not bb10.

Anyway Blackberry would have issued a press release had it been bb10, they haven't.
    Not necessarily. DoD could claim national security could be at risk if ppl were aware they are switching to bb10 devices and then BlackBerry would not legally be allowed to issue a release.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 08:40 PM
    Not necessarily. DoD could claim national security could be at risk if ppl were aware they are switching to bb10 devices and then BlackBerry would not legally be allowed to issue a release.

Posted via CB10
    Except.....
    http://press.blackberry.com/press/20...ent-of-de.html

Again blackberry would be shouting this from the roof tops, it's legacy devices not bb10.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    01-19-14 08:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    Also don't bother bro.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 08:58 PM

That link is flawed then. They should never have put "Legacy" in that sentence.

All the news releases about this do not state "Legacy". But they do state this QUOTE:
    The particular BlackBerry models being purchased by the Pentagon are unknown.
    Ask yourself why the Pentagon would purchase BBOS devices over BB10? Not going to happen. BB10 is also the only mobile OS to be ATO.
    01-19-14 09:10 PM
    Waterloo, ON – BlackBerry� (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB) today announced the U.S. Defense Information System Agency (DISA) has given BlackBerry� Z10 and BlackBerry� Q10 smartphones with BlackBerry� Enterprise Service 10, the Authority to Operate (ATO) on Department of Defense (DoD) networks. BlackBerry is the first Mobile Device Management (MDM) provider to obtain an ATO.

With the ATO, DISA is now developing the infrastructure to support BlackBerry 10 smartphones. DISA is architecting the capacity to support 10,000 BlackBerry 10 smartphones by this fall and 30,000 by the end of 2013 on DoD networks.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    01-19-14 09:13 PM
    I posted that link.
    It was dated august 2013

All it says is that they will build the CAPACITY for 40,000 bb10 devices.
    which is less than the 80,000 legacy bb devices being reported.

Edit: ps. A lot has happened since August 2013.
    Last edited by FFR; 01-19-14 at 09:30 PM.
    01-19-14 09:16 PM
    the NEW BlackBerry doesn't care which device you are using, as long as you are using BES10.
    DoD is not using BES10. I don't remember what they're using; but, it's not BES10.

Somebody from the "I Support BBRY..." thread could enlighten us on what particular mobile management software DoD chose.
    01-19-14 09:27 PM
    This is a huge boon to BlackBerry. Good thing that the event happened after TH's departure. No more squandering of opportunity.
    01-20-14 02:14 PM
    Why would the DoD chose BlackBerry over Apple or Samsung if they have the same security certifications? Maybe the media didn't tell us the full story back when they reported that both Android with Knox and iOS got the same certifications as BlackBerry 10?
    01-20-14 02:20 PM
    BLACKBERRYS WILL MAKE UP 98% OF MOBILE DEVICES ON NEW DEFENSEWIDE SYSTEM
    Alternative MDM solution with existing Blackberry devices.
    Excerpt:
    "A Pentagon system intended to secure a mix of brand name smartphones for warfighters will primarily support BlackBerrys when the tool starts launching later this month, according to Defense Department officials.

About 80,000 BlackBerrys and 1,800 Defense-owned Apple and Android-based phones and tablets will begin being hooked up to the new management system on Jan. 31, officials announced on Friday."

"The new year will bring new mobile capabilities to as many as 100,000 DoD users," Pentagon officials said in a statement. "DoD will begin deploying version 1.0 of the unclassified mobility capability Jan. 31 and will build out capacity to support up to 100,000 users by the end of the fiscal year."
    01-20-14 02:21 PM
    Why would the DoD chose BlackBerry over Apple or Samsung if they have the same security certifications? Maybe the media didn't tell us the full story back when they reported that both Android with Knox and iOS got the same certifications as BlackBerry 10?
    They don't...BlackBerry was the first and only one so far to get the highest level of security clearance.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 02:22 PM
    They don't...BlackBerry was the first and only one so far to get the highest level of security clearance.

Posted via CB10
    Not according to the BlackBerry hating media.
    01-20-14 02:24 PM
63 123