This was a very odd post from blackberry. They essentially came to terms with how they failed over the years, and how they're pushing to succeed again in a different way. It's a very odd, honest post from them. Just weird timing.
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry's Latest Instagram Post..-73291.jpg  
    fanBBRY, 00stryder and chuckiev79 like this.
    11-21-16 02:32 PM
    They're reiterating "we're a software company", which is not terribly earth shattering.
    11-21-16 02:41 PM
    At least they seemed to take the time to appreciate the history of the company.

Meanwhile I still upload to IG with my 9900 via Client for Instagram happily.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-21-16 07:05 PM
    Most notably, BB didn't blame a myriad of other companies for their failure in the market - they blamed themselves ("We weren't fast enough. We lost our grip and fell behind.")

Those who love to suggest conspiracy theories that various companies, countries, or government agencies were out to get BB should read those sentences again and again.

Hopefully, BB's software business does better and BB's new management is up to the task of open competition this time around (I suspect they'll do much better this time myself).
    Uzi, La Emperor, MikeX74 and 12 others like this.
    11-21-16 07:35 PM
    11-21-16 10:56 PM
    Sounds like a suicide note to me... In all seriousness, I do think it's sad how things changed for BlackBerry. BlackBerry did make a lot of bad choices, but even Microsoft cannot make it in the smart phone market. The only BB10 offering I was disappointed with was the Leap. Other than that, I think they have a catalogue of amazing devices that I appreciate (even if the rest of the market didn't) it's even sadder to think that the smartphone market is only a two horse race, it need diversifying.

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    11-22-16 05:53 AM
    I would believe the "we are a software company" meme more if they did a better job with the software they already hand (ie BBM). That one app alone could have been the next facebook/twitter had they not mismanaged it.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-16 09:15 AM
    But what are you gonna do with software if you don't have hardware to put it in. It's like conor mcgregor's words when he appeared late on ufc 205 press conference, he said 'sorry I'm late but I just don't give a fook'. Same with blackberry we were late we lost we quit,we've decided to retire young,catch ya later, thanks for the support.

Keep Calm N Listen To Babbu Maan.
    11-22-16 10:46 AM
    This only speaks to the mismanagement at BlackBerry. Putting out something like that on Instagram only shows the ineptness of the company and that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
    Flatman and cribble2k like this.
    11-22-16 10:54 AM
    I would believe the "we are a software company" meme more if they did a better job with the software they already hand (ie BBM). That one app alone could have been the next facebook/twitter had they not mismanaged it.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe, maybe not. Facebook has never been precisely a slouch about going after what it wants, after all. But I will agree BBM would have been more competitive.
    11-22-16 11:15 AM
    11-22-16 11:33 AM
    Umm is this really from the company? If so, Instagram is how they reach out to enterprise customers and prosumers?
    11-22-16 11:43 AM
    But what are you gonna do with software if you don't have hardware to put it in.

Keep Calm N Listen To Babbu Maan.
    Huh?

The EMM software, SecureSmart, WatchDox, and AtHoc are cross-platform. IoT and QNX Auto are low-level technologies.

Only BlackBerry-Android and the app suite are made for Android - but the latter can be used on any Android device.

Not sure where you're going with this.
    11-22-16 11:45 AM
    Huh?

The EMM software, SecureSmart, WatchDox, and AtHoc are cross-platform. IoT and QNX Auto are low-level technologies.

Only BlackBerry-Android and the app suite are made for Android - but the latter can be used on any Android device.

Not sure where you're going with this.
    I don't think he was going anywhere with it; his was just another smart@ss comment.
    11-22-16 02:51 PM
    This only speaks to the mismanagement at BlackBerry. Putting out something like that on Instagram only shows the ineptness of the company and that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
    What about posting thoughts and government policies using Twitter and YouTube?
    11-22-16 06:37 PM
    if BB as you said only content with what you indicated above, it really a trouble water ahead: Currently, there is a change of wind blow over the field, IoT, data center, machine learning, AR and VR etc. are all required new hardware- e.g. graphic intensive or analog type (ICused to be 50/50 logic and memory... currently, >90% memory due to video feed, photo search, imaging processing, comparitive processing, etc.), not the traditional processor... (doesn't matter, 7 nm or 5 nm and packed dense of hardware). Who ever win the next gen architecture of the new "IC brain" will dominate the field. Software/application defined hardware would be the key for next gen... lack of hardware expertise - can not define required hardware for BB's software application (performance spec, architecture, etc.), will put it in great danger, especially it does not have size and money to attract partner in the new world of IoT and other stuff. BB should keep eyes open on IEEE semi engineering latest development... smart way of doing computing is better than faster/smaller transistor (remember, Moore's law is heading to the wall soon). 130 nm might be better than 14 nm if done right - already being proven =sorry for the spec readers ;-). scary thoughts. IMHO... how to get back to the hardware is not easy, NOT get back to the hardware is possibly more difficulty ahead... no easy choice.
    Incoherent wall of text full of buzzwords/phrases without any meaningful content...
    11-22-16 07:28 PM
    But what are you gonna do with software if you don't have hardware to put it in. It's like conor mcgregor's words when he appeared late on ufc 205 press conference, he said 'sorry I'm late but I just don't give a fook'. Same with blackberry we were late we lost we quit,we've decided to retire young,catch ya later, thanks for the support.
    Microsoft is worth hundreds of billions of dollars because they wrote software for other people's hardware. It's not exactly an unheard of business model.

And regarding their admitting failure in the smartphone market - the fact is they WERE very late, and the window of opportunity was lost. As Microsoft has shown by investing tens of billions for almost nothing, once that window closes, there's no chance to build a competing ecosystem/platform because devs simply don't want to, and don't NEED to, support a bunch of smaller ones. It's the same reason why we haven't had a successful new desktop OS for 30 years - that race was won back in the 80s, and the window of opportunity closed.

BB wisely recognizes that their best opportunities lie in NEW areas and NEW markets, not in a hyper-competitive market that has razor-thin margins where they don't have a viable platform and have no chance of building one. Chen is absolutely doing the right thing for the company, and BB's shareholders will benefit. I understand that BB10 fans are disappointed, but BB invested and lost many billions on BB10 with nothing to show for it, and Microsoft lost far more, also with nothing to show for it. It would really be suicidal to keep dumping money into that bottomless pit...
    11-22-16 07:29 PM
    But what are you gonna do with software if you don't have hardware to put it in. ...
    BlackBerry is going to do exactly what John Chen has been saying they are going to do for some time now: make a profit by licensing their software instead of losing money by selling hardware.
    11-22-16 07:57 PM
    Incoherent wall of text full of buzzwords/phrases without any meaningful content...
    It's not as incoherent as you think if you understand CMOS technology, where it is and where it was and the wall it is facing...and what that means for software...

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    11-22-16 08:13 PM
    BB10 fans are disappointed,
    And PKB fans. Mercury, assuming JC doesn't change his mind about it, will likely be the last of its kind. PKB will be relegated to tiny production runs for tiny niche markets.

That's why I'm strongly considering a Priv. I see it as possibly the best way to transition from PKB to VKB use.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-22-16 08:28 PM
    It's not as incoherent as you think if you understand CMOS technology, where it is and where it was and the wall it is facing...and what that means for software...
    It means software will be king if we hit the hardware wall.
    11-22-16 08:49 PM
    It means software will be king if we hit the hardware wall.
    You've got to ask yourself why vertical integration is popular again.
    There will be only 2-3 companies with advanced CMOS fabs. There are only 4 now: Intel, TSMC, GF and Samsung. Two of them are captive...
    They will dictate what and who can run software.
    Somewhat like Qualcomm supposedly is not willing to develop drivers for BlackBerry...

Software runs on hardware..and if there is only one or two hardware vendors, they will control and dictate what happens down the food chain, like Google does with android now.
    Building a 10nm CMOS fab and developing a 10nm CMOS technology is not something Google, or Microsoft or Facebook or Apple can do in the next 3-5 years.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    11-22-16 09:47 PM
    You've got to ask yourself why vertical integration is popular again.
    There will be only 2-3 companies with advanced CMOS fabs. There are only 4 now: Intel, TSMC, GF and Samsung. Two of them are captive...
    They will dictate what and who can run software.
    Somewhat like Qualcomm supposedly is not willing to develop drivers for BlackBerry...

Software runs on hardware..and if there is only one or two hardware vendors, they will control and dictate what happens down the food chain, like Google does with android now.
    Building a 10nm CMOS fab and developing a 10nm CMOS technology is not something Google, or Microsoft or Facebook or Apple can do in the next 3-5 years.
    Qualcomm will develop drivers for BlackBerry for the right amount of money. The question is whether it's worth spending, say $1 million, to sell 100K devices when customers want competitively price products?

If you don't run Google's Android, you don't have to do a thing Google wants. Ever hear of Amazon?

As for hardware vendors, why limit hardware sales to one customer? Sell to anyone who wants to buy and who cares what kind of software they run on it.

Why would Google, Microsoft, Facebook or Apple want their own 10nm CMOS fab when they can pay someone else to fab for them?
    11-23-16 04:07 AM
    If you don't run Google's Android, you don't have to do a thing Google wants. Ever hear of Amazon?
    Yeah, how did that work out for them?

Even if vendors play Google's game though, it still doesn't stop them mucking about with things. Samsung Touchwiz anyone?
    11-23-16 05:30 AM
    I see. ignorance is blessing ;-). Semiconductor Engineering .:. Rethinking Processor Architectures
    many companies head back to hardware for a good reason... New Hardware in dire need... who would be the king is unknown at this stage.
    11-23-16 07:23 AM
91 123 ...