There's no politics in this story on Politico, just a look at how federal employees are managing their mobile devices while the government is shut down in the good ol' U.S. of A.

And by mobile devices, I mean BlackBerrys.

No other phone is mentioned in the entire article, but the red light and BlackBerry is mentioned throughout the entire piece

This is the niche market that BlackBerry won't be losing anytime soon.

Government shutdown 2013: Shutting down wired D.C.? Good luck - POLITICO.com
    wincyUt and FSeverino like this.
    10-05-13 03:56 PM
    There's no politics in this story on Politico, just a look at how federal employees are managing their mobile devices while the government is shut down in the good ol' U.S. of A.

And by mobile devices, I mean BlackBerrys.

No other phone is mentioned in the entire article, but the red light and BlackBerry is mentioned throughout the entire piece

This is the niche market that BlackBerry won't be losing anytime soon.

Government shutdown 2013: Shutting down wired D.C.? Good luck - POLITICO.com
    NONE of the people I know who have been furloughed are heeding the order to not use the phones. I still get emails from people who are out on furlough. They're as wired as ever.

NOBODY turned their phones in.
    10-05-13 04:03 PM
    Big deal. Govt employees are forced to use BlackBerry - not because they like them. My Govt BlackBerry and everyone else's I know is off and locked in a desk. I'm getting along great with my iphone5.

Posted via CB10
    Terser Nori likes this.
    10-05-13 04:05 PM
    NONE of the people I know who have been furloughed are heeding the order to not use the phones. I still get emails from people who are out on furlough. They're as wired as ever.

NOBODY turned their phones in.

I don't think they should have to. They're already not getting paid because of the shutdown, they should at least be able to have their BlackBerry if they want it. Tell your friends to email to their heart's content
    10-05-13 04:37 PM
    Actually, for DoD employees, it is against the law to do any work when you are furloughed.
    10-05-13 05:33 PM
    I don't think they should have to. They're already not getting paid because of the shutdown, they should at least be able to have their BlackBerry if they want it. Tell your friends to email to their heart's content
    Problem is the phones are technically not theirs but rather a work tool. But there is no way to keep them from checking in!!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 05:41 PM
    Actually, for DoD employees, it is against the law to do any work when you are furloughed.
    Yup. This is true.

But you KNOW they will check in

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 05:42 PM
    My friends at my old job told me there was talk of turning part of the network off.
    10-05-13 09:42 PM
    There is no way I could not check my BlackBerry if I was in their position. BBM is too addicting!!
    10-06-13 12:33 AM
    This "turn your phone in" is just part of the "dog and pony" show our government displays for us, trying gin up sympathy.

Are we actually supposed to feel sorry for these people because they are on paid vacation. There are people in the private sector that have had their lives ruined and laid off for years. People trying to support their families by working at a McDonalds.

Sorry but I do not feel sorry for any of them. The government has become bloated and are eating WAY to large of a piece of the "pie". I consider most just bribed or paid voters.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-06-13 06:00 AM
    This "turn your phone in" is just part of the "dog and pony" show our government displays for us, trying gin up sympathy.

Are we actually supposed to feel sorry for these people because they are on paid vacation. There are people in the private sector that have had their lives ruined and laid off for years. People trying to support their families by working at a McDonalds.

Sorry but I do not feel sorry for any of them. The government has become bloated and are eating WAY to large of a piece of the "pie". I consider most just bribed or paid voters.
    Actually, no, they are not getting paid. They will receive back pay but at the moment, they will not get days from Oct 1 to Oct 4th. For the next pay period, they will get nothing for the days that the government is shut down. So no, this is not a paid vacation.

The government employee has got no say in this situation. To lay responsibility on them that belongs with politicians is unjust. I can tell you that everyone I interact with who has been put on furlough status wants nothing but to come back to their jobs.

An nobody has ever bribed or paid me to vote.
    grover5 and bbq10l like this.
    10-06-13 09:30 AM
    Actually, no, they are not getting paid. They will receive back pay but at the moment, they will not get days from Oct 1 to Oct 4th. For the next pay period, they will get nothing for the days that the government is shut down. So no, this is not a paid vacation.

The government employee has got no say in this situation. To lay responsibility on them that belongs with politicians is unjust. I can tell you that everyone I interact with who has been put on furlough status wants nothing but to come back to their jobs.

An nobody has ever bribed or paid me to vote.
    I do not feel sorry for any of them. They make more than enough for several families to live quite well on while they waste tax payer money and then want more. They should not receive any back pay either but that is only my opinion.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 10-06-13 at 09:38 AM. Reason: e
    extisis likes this.
    10-06-13 09:37 AM
    I do not feel sorry for any of them. They make more than enough for several families to live quite well on while they waste tax payer money and then want more. They should not receive any back pay either but that is only my opinion.
    Do you mean the politicians or do you mean government employees in general?
    10-06-13 09:45 AM
    Do you mean the politicians or do you mean government employees in general?
    Politicians. I think the employees do quite well also. Most of the employees are still working though?
    10-06-13 09:54 AM
    Politicians. I think the employees do quite well also. Most of the employees are still working though?
    Most are. Specific agencies that perform essential work are still working. Within different agencies there are positions that are considered excepted and non excepted when furloughs come about.

Example....my agency is excepted from furlough so I'm still on, but some of the people I manage are off. We are deploying emergency or break fix releases but not regularly planned or maintenance releases. Half of my contracting unit is gone, only those able to commit procurements are on. All of the fraud and investigations units are on.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-06-13 10:00 AM
    Most are. Specific agencies that perform essential work are still working. Within different agencies there are positions that are considered excepted and non excepted when furloughs come about.

Example....my agency is excepted from furlough so I'm still on, but some of the people I manage are off. We are deploying emergency or break fix releases but not regularly planned or maintenance releases. Half of my contracting unit is gone, only those able to commit procurements are on. All of the fraud and investigations units are on.
    Most in the private sector now question if these non-essential people are really needed. Regardless it make the government look even more greedy when the only thing they can pass is this!
    10-06-13 10:04 AM
    Most in the private sector now question if these non-essential people are really needed. Regardless it make the government look even more greedy when the only thing they can pass is this!
    That didn't even make sense. Thanks for speaking for most in the private sector though. You must have a crazy big network. I always thought it so funny that those who pray at the private sector altar are so blind to how bloated and inefficient and unbalanced the private sector is. The government workers I deal with on a regular basis in NIH and NSF sure are more efficient than the private sector workers I deal with at Wells Fargo or Merk.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    10-06-13 10:15 AM
    Most in the private sector now question if these non-essential people are really needed.
    I'd be careful with that angle, as the definition of "non-essential" is very broad and subject to significant interpretation.

Regardless it make the government look even more greedy when the only thing they can pass is this!
    If by "Government" you mean "the U.S. House of Representatives," I agree with you. But the term "the Government" includes literally thousands of people who have absolutely no role in the shutdown, not just the 536 who do.
    10-06-13 10:23 AM
    Sorry but from my perspective as a private business owner watching fees and taxes going up and up it looks like the government wants even more of the "pie" when they are already bloated on what they are chocking down today.

Bigger government is not the answer, it never has been. Most of these contractors should not be issued Blackberry's to begin with, but when we are giving out obama phones to almost anyone . . . . .
    10-06-13 11:14 AM
    LOL! Most of the "laws" do not apply to government employees. You can fire them, best you can do is force them to go home whole collecting a full paycheck and benefits for life.

Being in the private sector we do not even have non essentials working for us. Only our government can afford this but then they are not looking to make a profit.
    10-06-13 11:20 AM
    LOL! Most of the "laws" do not apply to government employees. You can fire them, best you can do is force them to go home whole collecting a full paycheck and benefits for life.
    That's simply not true. While there are some government positions with extraordinary retirement benefits that include handsome retirement pay (federal judges come to mind, as do retiring career military officers), they are the exception, not the rule. The typical enlisted retired soldier isn't exactly having caviar with dinner, and neither are the clerks in those federal courts.

Being in the private sector we do not even have non essentials working for us. Only our government can afford this but then they are not looking to make a profit.
    If this were true, the private sector wouldn't be laying off employees the moment business slows. After all, all private sector employees are "essential," right?
    grover5 likes this.
    10-06-13 11:32 AM
    Sorry but from my perspective as a private business owner watching fees and taxes going up and up it looks like the government wants even more of the "pie" when they are already bloated on what they are chocking down today.

Bigger government is not the answer, it never has been. Most of these contractors should not be issued Blackberry's to begin with, but when we are giving out obama phones to almost anyone . . . . .
    Contractors are generally not issued BlackBerry devices. Their companies do.
    10-06-13 11:33 AM
    Wow.

Government employees can absolutely be fired. I personally know if one two months ago. I know of others.

As far as retirement, I contribute 10% of my paycheck to my retirement NOW. It's not given as a package.
    10-06-13 11:35 AM
    Forced? Lol. Maybe the govt knows something good that you don't.

Big deal. Govt employees are forced to use BlackBerry - not because they like them. My Govt BlackBerry and everyone else's I know is off and locked in a desk. I'm getting along great with my iphone5.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 11:51 AM
    Problem is the phones are technically not theirs but rather a work tool. But there is no way to keep them from checking in!!!!

Posted via CB10
    This is sufficient reason why the govt and the workers ought to embrace the BB10 phones with its "BlackBerry Balance" feature!!!! No other phone has this feature. People should wake up to the new age.
    10-06-13 11:55 AM
37 12