I haven't been able to figure out a clean answer to this article yet. Is it legacy only, is it pin-to-pin, all BBM? From what I can gather, this is not a particularly difficult decryption feat. If you can re-route or duplicate send any message to your Blackberry device, you can read the message. If you are running your own BES server, you're ok. I could be wrong.

What's worse is that Blackberry has been silent on this issue. NOT GOOD!

I might trust Apple more, but not WhatsApp. Sure your message itself is encrypted, but they know everything else about you, your entire phone contact list, probably location, all other meta data which can print a pretty detailed list about you
    Unfortunately, though, the link I posted in order to shed some light on this got deleted, as it was linking to an apparently hostile BlackBerry blog...

:-D

Take care...

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-17-16 03:25 PM
    I think with this whole situation though where the line is crossed is that the RCMP has the master key to all BBM, or pin to pin, whatever they extent is..

The way that I have seen BlackBerry positions their stance is there is no back doors,, but rcmp having master key is essentially a back door.

Now if BlackBerry stood to what they say, that when they get a court order, BlackBerry themselves decrypts the data of that one particular phone and gives it over to rcmp than that's expected..

But the fact rcmp can just look at any bodies messages without involving BlackBerry, that's where it's too far and will hurt bbm and BlackBerry as a whole..

Might be time to compare true end to end messengers like VIPole, Soma, Signal, Telegram. Any others people have tried and like? Heck this is even making me consider going back to iPhone after my Priv is done in spit of their practises, unless BlackBerry explains themselves

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | Facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom *-*
    04-18-16 06:58 AM
    There was an update 40 minutes ago

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...ey-decryption/

Basically Chen simply saying it was "lawful"
    04-18-16 01:14 PM
    So if any government asks for assistance using the global encryption key then do they get it? If you're doing business with China then can the government monitor everything you are saying if they make a lawful request? In 79 countries, homosexuality is illegal.
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    04-18-16 01:23 PM
    So if any government asks for assistance using the global encryption key then do they get it?
    According to Mr Chen, the answer must be "yes".
    Handing out the encryptions keys is their understanding of "lawful access principles" and "assistance", see

John Chen says BlackBerry 'stood by our lawful access principles' while assisting Canadian Police in 2010 | Page 2 | CrackBerry.com

While I understand that BBRY does not have the keys for data in transit protected by BES, BBM Protected or BBM Protected Voice, it is still extremly alarming and disturbing how they have treated 39 million BBM users back in 2010-2012.
    These 39 million users paid monthly BIS subscription fees, but obviously BBRY did nothing to protect their privacy.

If one hands out the encryption key to any third party, one loses control and hence cannot protect anything anymore.
    There are perfectly legit ways to assist LEA and decrypt suspected traffic, *without* handing out the encryption keys.

If they still feel that this was okay, I can't recommend Consumer BBM to friends and family anymore.
    I don't feel the need to make it impossible for the government to snoop my conversations, but I also don't want to make it that easy.

That's exactly what we had learned from Edward Snowden, that surveillance is not necessarily a bad thing, but access needs to be strictly controlled ( = if he can walk out with all these sensitive data on a USB stick or laptop, if he and other operators could snoop even the POTUS without being controlled, then your democractic system has a problem.)
    04-19-16 04:56 AM
    BlackBerry has never claimed that BBM was fully encrypted end to end.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Um... no. Because 'Encrypted End to End' meant nothing to the majority 2 years ago. 'Private & secure' did and WAS 'claimed by BBRY. Jeez.
    04-20-16 03:14 PM
    So does that make WhatsApp more secure than BBM?
    Yes, of course.
    04-20-16 03:15 PM
32 12