Interesting read for those who think their consumer device is 100% secure.
    Canadian police used BlackBerry's key to unlock BBM messages
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    04-14-16 03:22 PM
    I think that was already mentioned here:
    http://www.crackberry.com/blackberry...anadian-police

*C5303
    04-14-16 03:50 PM
    I think that was already mentioned here:
    http://www.crackberry.com/blackberry...anadian-police

*C5303
    Ok, didn't know it was already talked about, thanks for the info.
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    04-14-16 04:11 PM
    here's another take on it.....I just saw it in Twitter and thought I was going to be first to post it .....

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/rcm...ion-key-canada

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    bakron1 likes this.
    04-14-16 04:59 PM
    This is in regards to BBM not being encrypted end to end and instead scrambled with a universal key. This has been known for a long time. Why do you think BBM Protected exists? BBM is also only completely secure on BES as is the rest of the device. If anyone is realizing this now then you have been duped by fan-boys. BlackBerry has never claimed that BBM was fully encrypted end to end.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    04-14-16 06:36 PM
    Did they also share the encryptions keys for the TLS encryption on BB10, iOS, Android and WP?

With the global 3DES key one can only encrypt BBM messages on legacy BBOS.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    04-15-16 03:47 AM
    No surprises here. Major companies have to comply to something in order to do business.
    04-15-16 10:54 AM
    Misleading headline for this thread. The RCMP didn't crack the encryption, they were given the keys from BlackBerry. Although BlackBerry won't admit to that...
    04-15-16 11:04 AM
    This is a five year old story....

We have had numerous examples of criminals being taken down because of their use of BBM. This is not news at this point.... but then I guess El Chapo didn't read about all these stories either.
    shaleem, JeepBB and anon(9188202) like this.
    04-15-16 11:31 AM
    They were using PIN messaging not BBM

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 09:11 PM
    BlackBerry #1 feature is security. Why would they not respond to these allegations.
    I don't believe your website more than I believe the original new article because every story is twisted in some way.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 09:17 PM
    The RCMP didn't crack the encryption, they were given the keys from BlackBerry. Although BlackBerry won't admit to that...
    So how do you know this then?
    04-16-16 12:51 AM
    What's this about Canada reading your BlackBerry texts?
    What we knew in 2010, 2012 and 2014 we still know in 2016
    What's this about Canada reading your BlackBerry texts? ? The Register
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    04-16-16 01:17 AM
    Not to detract, but there are different opinions and viewpoints out there. Have a look at what uther blogs are posting... ;-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-16-16 03:32 AM
    Misleading headline for this thread. The RCMP didn't crack the encryption, they were given the keys from BlackBerry. Although BlackBerry won't admit to that...
    No surprise there, the cops probably turned up with a valid court order and BlackBerry complied.
    04-16-16 06:11 AM
    This is old news - and more importantly, the Canadian government is not the only government with access to BBM.

Furthermore, BlackBerry hold the encryption key anyway and can decrypt your messages themselves with or without a government request. Whether or not they do is another matter, but the possibility exists.

Truly secure encryption can only exist after eliminating this possibility completely. Would you think your super secure house was "completely secure" if the builder still had the keys? Of course not! Even if he had a court order forbidding him to use the key and the key was stored in a safe, the possibility of it somehow being used would still exist no matter how slim. A platform is not secure if an outside party is holding the encryption key. If you want a secure platform, you use a platform that keeps you in control of the encryption keys (for example, BES) and you maintain responsibility for managing your own keys.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-16 08:43 AM
    So does that make WhatsApp more secure than BBM?
    04-16-16 09:46 AM
    Wondering when BlackBerry will finally post an official statement.

SQC100-1 BlackBerry Classic
    04-16-16 09:59 AM
    Well dunno about the whatsapp thing , Cuz I received a voice message yesterday from contact B but appeared in whatsapp from contact A (names withheld obviously) and when I replied, my answer went to contact A.

Apart from the hassle explaining my reply to the wrong recipient as I only noticed the issue after my reply, it made me think about the whole whatsapp encryption part, I thought there was a sort of unique identifier between each 2 contacts, so how come I was still able to listen to the message?

Posted via CB10
    04-16-16 10:26 AM
    So does that make WhatsApp more secure than BBM?
    If it is using per device keys that are not centrally stored and that aren't stored with a master key, then at least in this area it may be more secure. Same with iMessage.

Of course, it could be far less secure in other areas i.e. there have been high profile security holes in iMessage that can expose data.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-16 10:35 AM
    Well dunno about the whatsapp thing , Cuz I received a voice message yesterday from contact B but appeared in whatsapp from contact A (names withheld obviously) and when I replied, my answer went to contact A.

Apart from the hassle explaining my reply to the wrong recipient as I only noticed the issue after my reply, it made me think about the whole whatsapp encryption part, I thought there was a sort of unique identifier between each 2 contacts, so how come I was still able to listen to the message?

Posted via CB10
    No its impossible for that to happen or at least that's what the what's crap supporters here say.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-16 11:35 AM
    04-16-16 01:08 PM
    How many BBM users were on BIS vs. BES in 2010, as compared to now? It's a bit sneaky for BlackBerry to talk about its devices' security when all of its consumer-oriented services have been open to interception since 2010 or even earlier. How many individuals and SMEs can afford to run a BES server on top of Exchange anyway?

Apple's iMessage and WhatsApp encryption are different because there's no single skeleton key that unlocks each message. That's what they say anyway Each message is encrypted with a device-specific encryption key. iMessage and WhatsApp don't implement perfect forward secrecy with ephemeral keys though, so you could recover years' worth of conversations if you grabbed the device key.
    04-17-16 02:42 AM
    That's a good question, I think that's what this report is implying. Silence is not always always a good thing

...so which one of you fine gentlemen would like to get me a ... Priv
    04-17-16 02:52 AM
    I haven't been able to figure out a clean answer to this article yet. Is it legacy only, is it pin-to-pin, all BBM? From what I can gather, this is not a particularly difficult decryption feat. If you can re-route or duplicate send any message to your Blackberry device, you can read the message. If you are running your own BES server, you're ok. I could be wrong.

What's worse is that Blackberry has been silent on this issue. NOT GOOD!

I might trust Apple more, but not WhatsApp. Sure your message itself is encrypted, but they know everything else about you, your entire phone contact list, probably location, all other meta data which can print a pretty detailed list about you
    04-17-16 10:57 AM
32 12