They build the type of hardware that BlackBerry needs to be a winner in this space and they've also developed a cloud network which BlackBerry may be able to replace with their own. Would be very interesting for these two Canadian pioneers to get together.

Posted via CB10
    Seems like a perfect fit, especially in the car segment. It's frustrating to see the obvious synergies.

http://www.sierrawireless.com/soluti...es/automotive/

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 01:57 PM
    Didn't mean to derail the thread, I thought it was about BlackBerry software.

If I could tap into <snip> how long the bus will be until it reaches my stop in real-time, and how many seats are available on that bus
    I don't know about elsewhere, but this has been available for several years at least in the Bay Area. They didn't wait for BB to "invent" this technology.
    06-27-15 02:16 PM
    NO!
    I am a BlackBerry user solely because of the classic keyboard. I can't tell you how it drove me utter bonkers typing on an android device and how high the percentage of mistyping is a joke. Android users tpyically spend. Quite a bit of time backspacing typing errors out.

When you are in a business that requires you to respond to a high amount of emails, typing on a physical keyboard is so much faster in every sense of the word!!!

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-27-15 02:33 PM
    Blackberry's future can also be about Android Handsets skinned with a Blackberry theme, running a Blackberry launcher that acts like the HUB on BB10. I can see millions and millions of former Blackberry users coming back to Blackberry if this is done right. From time to time when I research tweets about Blackberry, i come across so many tweets from people that say they miss their Blackberry.

So if Blackberry wants to, it can have the consumer market too.
    06-27-15 02:41 PM
    Is software taking over? Of course it is and hardware will still be around because hardware is now outsource to other manufacturer like Foxconn. BlackBerry will no longer take a lost. Profit will maintain if they can sell the same amount that they ordered from the factories. Simple math. Now with all that cut saving, all Chen needs is to spend a little bit more on Advertising to push strong hardware sales.
    06-27-15 03:07 PM
    I don't know about elsewhere, but this has been available for several years at least in the Bay Area. They didn't wait for BB to "invent" this technology.
    Infotainment systems have also been available elsewhere, I don't believe blackberry invented it, but the industry has adopted it. Big win for the underdog, no matter how you paint it. It terms of initial sales for a new system it's huge. I'm not an expert in the field by no means but has any other software been adopted as quickly?

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 05:34 PM
    Infotainment systems have also been available elsewhere, I don't believe blackberry invented it, but the industry has adopted it. Big win for the underdog, no matter how you paint it. It terms of initial sales for a new system it's huge. I'm not an expert in the field by no means but has any other software been adopted as quickly?
    QNX For Cars started out as the original OnStar project for GM and has grown from there, but it's been, what, around 20 years of slow, steady growth to where they are today, which is about 60% of the in-car infotainment market. Clearly a win for QNX.

But when things like bus tracking was mentioned, I was saying that this already exists, and people weren't waiting for QNX to offer a solution - they've had it live for years already. I don't know the tech well enough to know if QNX would be a good fit for that application, but it doesn't matter if BB doesn't have the resources to create those products ahead of the market - once other companies are already doing it, it's much tougher for BB to compete, starting from behind.

BB likes to talk about how QNX will underlie the IoT, but I'm not sure they have the R&D capital to actually make it happen, and the world isn't going to wait while BB gets their act together - there are dozens, if not hundreds of companies who are already competing to be the IoT framework, including a number of industry giants. BB needs to get some product out and score some big early wins, or they're gonna get passed right by just like they did with the smartphone business.
    06-28-15 05:24 PM
    The issue with licensing BB10 to another party is that the other party doesn't have to uphold the standards and principles of the software. They need only give the allusion of privacy and data protection based upon the credibility of the BlackBerry name , while data mining as they would normally do. The initial perception of security would serve them well, but once any impropriety is discovered the BlackBerry reputation would take the hit. Then business would suffer.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 05:48 PM
    Is software taking over? Of course it is and hardware will still be around because hardware is now outsource to other manufacturer like Foxconn. BlackBerry will no longer take a lost. Profit will maintain if they can sell the same amount that they ordered from the factories. Simple math. Now with all that cut saving, all Chen needs is to spend a little bit more on Advertising to push strong hardware sales.
    I really agree with this sentiment (as I think most here do) that they will have to make a push with consumer advertising again, even if it's limited, even if it's done in a calculated way. No risk, no change in outcome.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 06:28 PM
    **But there needs to be a way to "re-brand" what it means to own a BlackBerry. How they do this, I do not know.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 06:30 PM
    QNX For Cars started out as the original OnStar project for GM and has grown from there, but it's been, what, around 20 years of slow, steady growth to where they are today, which is about 60% of the in-car infotainment market. Clearly a win for QNX.

But when things like bus tracking was mentioned, I was saying that this already exists, and people weren't waiting for QNX to offer a solution - they've had it live for years already. I don't know the tech well enough to know if QNX would be a good fit for that application, but it doesn't matter if BB doesn't have the resources to create those products ahead of the market - once other companies are already doing it, it's much tougher for BB to compete, starting from behind.

BB likes to talk about how QNX will underlie the IoT, but I'm not sure they have the R&D capital to actually make it happen, and the world isn't going to wait while BB gets their act together - there are dozens, if not hundreds of companies who are already competing to be the IoT framework, including a number of industry giants. BB needs to get some product out and score some big early wins, or they're gonna get passed right by just like they did with the smartphone business.
    The info tracking I was suggesting was more detailed, on a micro level. Also your missing what role blackberry is planning on playing in the IOT world. Its securing that info. For instance, If that bus has a cam view on it as it comes towards you, and the bus crashes into the stop where you were standing (as you were monitoring its approach on your android or iphone), blackberry servers will have recorded that info through their network. The bus company will be able to view that info later and see that you were an innocent bystander that unfortunately got plowed down by their bus. That info belongs to the bus company. So if they decide they will keep that from the insurance company, thats up to them. Its secured on blackberrys network. Blackberrys job is communicate and accumulate this data over their network for their customers.
    Also Chen is a cheap b^sta^rd.. he isn't spending on R&D, that network is already operational and tied to carriers around the world, the carriers waiting for data to spill out by the petabyte, because data equals usage, big usage.
    06-28-15 08:25 PM
    Just software? Just OS?
    BB will be just as bad as now... When Win10 proves to be a better budget-friendly solution to phone makers as well as enterprise... It's going to be as "open source" as Android!
    Open source? Peeps don't care...

Free of charge? Ohhhh yeahhhhh.....

Smh, *rolleyes*, that's just the way it is. 8'(

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    06-29-15 05:58 AM
    Open source? Peeps don't care...

Free of charge? Ohhhh yeahhhhh...
    People will not care. YES. Undeniably.
    But for phone makers, it's a large savings on phone making cost.
    07-01-15 10:35 AM
    I can't see how regular layoffs and other downsizing allows BlackBerry to compete with the likes of Microsoft, IBM, Cisco, and Google and whatever other niche players there are in whatever technology sector people here are imagining QNX going into. This reminds me of how people assumed that HP was going to put webOS on their printers and every PC they made. It's a classic case of a solution looking for a problem instead of the other way around.
    07-01-15 10:45 AM
    People will not care. YES. Undeniably.
    But for phone makers, it's a large savings on phone making cost.
    Microsoft is giving Windows Phone out free, and Windows on devices 7.9 inch or less, iirc?

Because Android is also "free", they practically have to follow. Not sure if this is the right thing, but price (=$0) outweighs a lot of other factors. And kinda turns off the brain, or parts thereof to some extend. That's just how people work. That's what I was trying to say ^...
    :-)

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    07-01-15 04:04 PM
40 12