Pressy: the one-button Android controller so cool it was Kickstarted in under a day

If Kickstarter had a 24-hour funders club, Pebble and the Bolex Camera would be welcoming Pressy today. In under a day, the multifunction Android controller has more than doubled its $40,000 goal (raising $108,435 from 4,889 backers as of this writing) and with 45 days left to go, the numbers keep climbing. Perhaps its simplicity is what's making it such a hit. Pressy plugs into any Android device's headphone port (Gingerbread and above), and clicking its unobtrusive 0.7mm-tall button controls and automates any manner of your gizmo's functions. Through its app you can assign a given task to a sequence of clicks; it's up to you if it takes two short clicks to speed-dial your mom or one long press to snap an unobtrusive picture, for example. You can still use it if you have a pair of headphones in too, with the cans' play button subbing in for control. Clever.

[...]

Sigh... BlackBerry dropping the ball again. So much so that someone steps in and making a replacement. For Android.
    08-30-13 11:26 AM
    I miss charging prongs more.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    08-30-13 11:30 AM
    They didn't really remove the convenience key.. they moved it up and put it between the volume up/down rocker. Currently it only activates voice control.. but an option to customize it's use could easily be added in a future software build, or an api to do so opened up to dev's.
    Mr.mister likes this.
    08-30-13 11:32 AM
    I miss charging prongs more.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    I agree with this... but I think at this point lets just go wireless charging right? Certainly disappointing to have neither on the Z and Q though.
    08-30-13 11:34 AM
    They didn't really remove the convenience key.. they moved it up and put it between the volume up/down rocker. Currently it only activates voice control.. but an option to customize it's use could easily be added in a future software build, or an api to do so opened up to dev's.
    Ok, there's a button physically there, but the convenience key functionality has been eliminated. Ergo they've removed the convenience key.

I agree with this... but I think at this point lets just go wireless charging right? Certainly disappointing to have neither on the Z and Q though.
    Wireless charging is horribly inefficient, wasting most of the energy it consumes. I never had charging contacts on my 9800 so I don't miss them on the Z10, but it would be nice to have.
    08-30-13 11:37 AM

I think there are a LOT of things that "could easily" be done to improve the user experience on BB10 (themes, headless apps, pattern unlock...). Of course I have to ask my self it it were so easy... why the heck haven't they done it. BB10 is fully of unfulfilled potential, and given the chance it will be a superior OS!
    08-30-13 11:40 AM
    They gotta save something for 10.5 don't they? lol
    08-30-13 11:59 AM
    I'm not following the thread title. BlackBerry's changing the convenience key spurs the innovation of a device... that works on Android? ?
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    08-30-13 12:03 PM