according to this article, the number is closer to 20,000 pre-orders:

http://www.thegadgetmasters.com/2013...o-middle-east/

The Z10 launched in Saudi Arabia yesterday (Feb 16). Axiom Telecom, unlike other carriers, actually gave a concrete number for Z10 pre-orders, stating that it received 4,250 pre-orders in 48 hours. Axiom is only one of six retailers selling the Z10 in the Kingdom, so the total pre-order number is likely between 15,000 to 25,000 units.

At Mobily (one of the 5 five other retailers) the white Z10 is showing as sold-out on its website (screenshot below). Meanwhile, after only one day of sales, Extra�s website indicates that some stores in major cities such at Jeddah and Riyadh are sold out of the Z10

We will find out actual Z10 sales numbers when BlackBerry reports fiscal Q4 earnings on March 28th. It appears that, so far, sales could be on track to beat consensus estimates on Wall Street.
    02-18-13 12:27 PM
    Come again??? Not a big BB market because ....? Link please. Just jelling stuff doesn't help me/us to verify your claim.
    Apparently its another market dominated by Samsung:

"Apple currently holds around 9% of the Indian smartphone market, behind BlackBerry on 12.1%, Nokia on 19.2% and Samsung on 41.6"

From: Apple boosts Indian smartphone marketshare to 9%, still lags behind BlackBerry

That was written just a few days ago in a story about Apple trying to gain share.
    02-18-13 06:43 PM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Apparently its another market dominated by Samsung:

"Apple currently holds around 9% of the Indian smartphone market, behind BlackBerry on 12.1%, Nokia on 19.2% and Samsung on 41.6"

From: Apple boosts Indian smartphone marketshare to 9%, still lags behind BlackBerry

That was written just a few days ago in a story about Apple trying to gain share.
    That will change dramatically in favor of Blackberry (RIM) starting with the India launch of Z10 February 25th!........
    sugbo likes this.
    02-18-13 06:49 PM
    Thanks for the info. That is a lot of potential BB10 sales in Saudi Arabia, given that their smartphone subscriber base is projected to be 40 million at the end of 2013 and 55 million at the end of 2016.

The Saudi Arabian mobile market is both highly matured and extremely saturated. As 2012 draws to a close, this advanced market has 56.6 million subscribers, a staggering 195 percent mobile penetration, almost 2 active SIM cards for every person in the population.

This installed base is split, made up of 24 million non-smartphones and an impressive 33 million smartphones. Over the next 4 years, the non-smartphone part of the market will halve, declining to an installed base of just 11 million non-smartphones by the end of 2016. Over the same time period, the installed base of smartphones will boom, growing from 33 million at end-2012, passing 40 million at end-2013, and reaching 55 million by the end of 2016. This growth in the smartphone base represents a CAGR of 16 percent throughout the 5 year period from end-2011 to end-2016.
    02-18-13 07:19 PM
    Come again??? Not a big BB market because ....? Link please. Just jelling stuff doesn't help me/us to verify your claim.
    I agree, it is a large country with a lot of programmers and developers for North American companies. I work for company that does technical writing, software development, and tech support, we have an office in India, every person in that office has a BlackBerry.
    02-18-13 11:57 PM
    Considering it is pretty much the only new phone to have been released thus far in 2013, it better be selling well.
    I think the implication was that it is shaping up to be one of the best-selling smartphones for the entire year. Not likely just January, but rather based on projections and statistics on previous best-selling phones.

That, to me, sounds like very good news for the Z10.
    02-19-13 08:17 AM
    I agree, it is a large country with a lot of programmers and developers for North American companies. I work for company that does technical writing, software development, and tech support, we have an office in India, every person in that office has a BlackBerry.
    It's less than 1/4 of the US. So it depends on what you define as "big".

Already got flamed (though the comments were incoherent) for pointing that out a couple weeks ago.
    02-19-13 08:25 AM
    sounds good - just saw this tweet that confirms mideast sales:

BlackBerry Mid East ‏@ME_BlackBerry
    The new #BlackBerry #Z10 has taken the UAE by storm, accounting for 60% of all smartphone sales according to @axiommiddleeast!
    02-19-13 11:15 AM
    hate BB10

Sent From BB9780
    02-19-13 11:17 AM
    hate BB10

Sent From BB9780
    Why? Why would you chose to HATE an inanimate object?

"Leviticus 19:17, You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him".
    02-19-13 11:29 AM
    It's less than 1/4 of the US. So it depends on what you define as "big".

Already got flamed (though the comments were incoherent) for pointing that out a couple weeks ago.
    in which sense is India a quarter of the US? BlackBerry marketshare is quite large (12%) as a poster above pointed out. And here are a few facts:

- India has the world's second-largest mobile phone user base with over 929.37 million users as of May 2012. http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/PressRealease/Document/PR-TSD-May12.pdf

- The entire population of the United States is ~315 million - US Pop Clock

The Indian cellular market hasn't even matured yet.
    02-19-13 12:48 PM
    in which sense is India a quarter of the US? BlackBerry marketshare is quite large (12%) as a poster above pointed out. And here are a few facts:

- India has the world's second-largest mobile phone user base with over 929.37 million users as of May 2012. http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/PressRealease/Document/PR-TSD-May12.pdf

I'm curious as to what % of those are high end phones like the Z10? I also thought I read that the US had 22% of the Blackberry share. I'm not sure, but correct me if I'm wrong. I thought I had also read that some analysts were estimating BB10 sales at 20 million for 2013. With the sales estimates that I've seen, no phones available in their biggest market and only 2 phones confirmed for this year, that number sounds crazy
    02-19-13 01:06 PM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Hoping Blackberry's Z10 takes India by storm!! ... as it has done here in Canada .. .and elsewhere so far .....
    02-19-13 09:59 PM

Bear in mind that those marketshare figures posted up earlier are smartphone marketshare. In terms of total mobile phone marketshare, from all indication Blackberry doesn't hold more than 6%.
    02-19-13 11:58 PM
    That will change dramatically in favor of Blackberry (RIM) starting with the India launch of Z10 February 25th!........
    Nope. Not at high end prices. Perhaps a low cost phone would cause a dramatic change but certainly not a $600 device.
    02-19-13 11:59 PM
40 12