so whats the best way to optimize a new battery? I always follow this rule...I allow my phone to drain the battery THREE times BEFORE i actually use it. I charge it fully three times and discharge it three times, on the fourth charge I add the SIM card and begin to use it...optimum battery life...
    01-17-13 12:01 AM
    so whats the best way to optimize a new battery? I always follow this rule...I allow my phone to drain the battery THREE times BEFORE i actually use it. I charge it fully three times and discharge it three times, on the fourth charge I add the SIM card and begin to use it...optimum battery life...
    Insert only on full moon for first time!
    Knightcrawler and mithrazor like this.
    01-17-13 12:09 AM
    Sacrifice a chicken during the first charge cycle.
    01-17-13 02:02 AM
    That's really hard on a Lion battery. They don't have a memory and really prefer partial discharge over full discharge. They also hate heat. That's why I don't use my playbook charger on my phones (that and I accidently left it in a hotel room in anchorage AK) and use a cool running sfi on my 9900.

I remember reading a study where they took a certain laptop battery and tested them. They discharged the batteries to different levels then charged them back up. Rinse and repeat. The batteries that were discharged to 50 percent then recharged got the most cycles. The ones discharged to power off then recharged the least. Lithium ion batteries also only last like 2 to 3 years even if they sit on a shelf. If you take them below a certain voltage they are ruined. So make sure you get the newest battery you can use the device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    homer1475 and Techno-Emigre like this.
    01-17-13 03:20 AM
    i dont know any modern smartphone that gets 1.5-2 days with heavy usage. I dont think bb10 will either
    I get more than a day with heavy usage and 2 days with moderate usage on the iPhone 5. I am happy with the battery life given I am on wifi or 4G most of the time. If BB10 phones match that, I will be very happy. Would I like more, of course.

We have all gone round and round about the removal battery thing. Personally I don't care if the battery is removable, and I think the argument is invalid anymore simply due to excellent choices for external battery packs. I have one not much bigger than a spare battery that I can use to charge my iPhone, tablet, etc and it plugs right into the wall. Having to rotate batteries or get an external charger to keep them charged is a pain. Either solution works, removable or external, but the advantage for removable is gone for me and minimal at most. Just noting it as a point people act like is a must have when there are viable, and maybe even more flexible options.
    01-17-13 03:52 AM
    Even if only close to that I'll be very happy !
    Remember ...

BlackBerry Z10 L-Series Battery Life Leaked-secondlife.jpg
    01-17-13 03:52 AM
    25-40% longer than the 9900. So a full day on heavy use, longer on moderate use. Also greatly depends on how you set up email.
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 01-17-13 at 06:14 AM.
    mithrazor likes this.
    01-17-13 04:08 AM
    25-40% longer than the 9900. So a full day on heavy use, longer on moderate use. Also greatly depends on how you set up email.
    Everybody has different definitions of "heavy use" lol. As long as I can get thru a day with MY typical useage (which is probably heavier than an average person) then i'll be happy. I charge both my phone and my tablet every night, even if I don't have to.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    01-17-13 08:25 AM
    Lol.. battery life on paper very rarely lives up to real world use. I'll hold off and put it to my daily life test.
    01-17-13 08:30 AM
    Compared to Sony ExperiaZ, both iPhone and Z10 are not up to the job with battery life
    Talk time (up to): Up to 11 hours [1]
    Standby time (up to): Up to 550 hours [1]

It's not all about OS, but also quality of battery and electronic layout of the entire phone and maybe most important the screen powerconsumption.

For our company phone we are going to get Nokia 302 with 768 hours standby (phones are used at our company to be reachable in case off.... ) and are not that much used for other thing then the occasional phonecall
    01-17-13 08:44 AM
    Compared to Sony ExperiaZ, both iPhone and Z10 are not up to the job with battery life
    Talk time (up to): Up to 11 hours [1]
    Standby time (up to): Up to 550 hours [1]

It's not all about OS, but also quality of battery and electronic layout of the entire phone and maybe most important the screen powerconsumption.
    The XperiaZ is also much larger than an iPhone5 or Z10. This means the ratio of the screen and battery to other essential components is larger.
    01-17-13 09:47 AM
    I wouldn't trust anything cnet says. Lol
    Well, when it comes to battery life, I take the information with a "big" grain of salt. So, hopefully it has been optimized for better life. I'm probably get an extra battery, anyway.
    BoldAlways likes this.
    01-17-13 09:49 AM
    i really really want a fuel cell battery that lasts for weeks. RIM has filed a patent for one, so hopefully soon
    01-17-13 10:44 AM
    I wouldn't trust anything cnet says. Lol
    No one mentioned cnet...
    01-17-13 10:48 AM
    as has been mentioned before, the dev alphas arent running final bb10.
    so i expect the battery life to be different.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-17-13 10:55 AM
    How an earth can you compare one released phone with two unreleased phones? We know ZIP about actual battery life until those things are used by users for any period of time.
    Pilchard likes this.
    01-17-13 12:01 PM
    i will wait until i have it in my hands.....and see anandtech and other review sites do their tests before i judge the battery life
    Unfortunatley I don't think anandtech has done a BB review since the original Torch 9800. I wouldn't get my hopes up too much...
    01-17-13 12:07 PM
    Yes, 9900 has a 1200 mAh.
    But the 9900 has a much smaller screen and I thought the screen was a major source of power usage.

As an aside, the 9900 battery life was shocking at the start. The 9900 forum had multiple threads on this. Then the OS was updated a few times and the issue went away.

I hope RIM gets the Z10 battery life (and everything else) right first time.
    01-17-13 01:34 PM
    Also greatly depends on how you set up email.
    Can you please explain what you mean by that? Thanks!
    01-17-13 01:36 PM
    How an earth can you compare one released phone with two unreleased phones? We know ZIP about actual battery life until those things are used by users for any period of time.
    ? The OP started this thread with the battery life, not I.
    01-17-13 01:40 PM
    Unfortunatley I don't think anandtech has done a BB review since the original Torch 9800. I wouldn't get my hopes up too much...
    But Anand did review the Playbook when it came out so there is a slim chance that either he or Brian Klug will review it especially since Anand use to have a BlackBerry. Ideally someone at RIM will recognize that a review for AnandTech would be beneficial.
    01-17-13 02:51 PM
    Battery problem is still on 7.1.0.7xx version on 9900, I have try all the previous version and everyday I couldn't use my original battery longer than 1:00pm so I have to change it with tjhe spare battery I have to travel with, and also some days I couldn't longer it till the time I use to arrive home so for my 9900 battery time is a really weird thing. I'M praying to have my hands on a new BB10 model to try it and avoid to carry and be aware of charge the original and the spare battery everyday....
    01-17-13 04:40 PM
    I do not know, so many things change on a daily basis, I remember before, you needed to let you phone plugged about 12 hrs before using, also the same with other devices, now you can use them right away ... I think this is related with the battery materials ... but I think you can use it while doing this ... I will not resist seeing my beautiful new adquisition and not playing with it =D
    01-17-13 04:44 PM
    Because nothing has honestly changed with RIM since the 9800, zero improvements made in a long time and there is no reason to cover rehashed phones... I'm sure they will be reviewing these new devices seeing as how they did review the Playbook which was a major step for RIM, even though it was an ill advised one.
    01-17-13 04:58 PM
    Because nothing has honestly changed with RIM since the 9800, zero improvements made in a long time and there is no reason to cover rehashed phones... I'm sure they will be reviewing these new devices seeing as how they did review the Playbook which was a major step for RIM, even though it was an ill advised one.
    I hope you are right but I'm not sure if its even on their radar at this point.
    01-17-13 05:54 PM
56 123