I believe apple also pays for their displays? Not sure about other manufacturers

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    They all generally rent space. We have a Sony and Monster wall, and only those products may be hung there. If a secret shopper from that company came in and another product was there, there's a penalty.
    10-13-14 11:00 AM
    At our local Rogers, there are custom displays for both Samsung and Apple. The rest are randomly thrown along one wall on a white shelf. There is no doubt who has the cash to throw behind its marketing.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 12:24 PM
    Troy......roughly where in the States are you.....I believe California from your past comments. If so, are you not in Apples backyard?
    Yes, I'm in the Bay Area, which is both Apple and Google's backyard, and, yes, it's rare to see anything but an iPhone or an Android phone around here, with the few exceptions being flip phones owned by technophobes (like, say, my parents). I'm not sure what that has to do with this issue.

BlackBerry is the only company I can think of that takes such a media beating, especially State side. BP Oil pumped how many gallons of oil into the gulf of Mexico, yet check their stock price. After a bit of time, it's a non issue. BlackBerry makes smart phones, they haven't done anything remotely as bad, and yet......anyhow back on topic. Just because BlackBerry may or may not have sent a rep into your little store, in your little corner of the earth, doesn't mean they didn't send a rep into the local Rogers Store in my neck of the woods. 5 hrs from Waterloo.
    Never anywhere was I talking about stores in my area - I was talking about corporate (not franchise) cell phone stores across the US, and in Canada for that matter. I made no specific claims about my area, rather I was talking in a general sense: corporate stores are the anchor for any carrier in the US, and where customers go when they need any kind of customer service. Franchise stores do little more than sell new phones/contracts, some accessories, and take payments for service plans. Anything more complicated usually means a visit to a corporate store, who also does the things a franchise store does.

And, again, it's the industry standard for manufacturers to send reps to train the sales staff at these corporate stores if they wish those sales reps to be knowledgeable about their products. All of the major brands do this (the entry-level Chinese brands don't), except BlackBerry, who used to do so, but no longer do. And given that they don't, and given that most carriers haven't seen a new BB released on their carrier in 18 months or more, it should be no surprise that most sales staff have written BB off. Without any recent information and advertising from a given brand, that brand effectively ceases to exist in the minds of sales reps, and this is true in almost any consumer industry.

Perhaps BB has sent a rep to your store - I don't visit that store daily (or ever), so I can't say for sure either way. But what I can say is that, over the last 12-18 months, people who work in cell phone stores all over the US and Canada have talked about how long it's been since they've seen a BB rep, and in almost every case, that was at the BB10 launch in early 2013. Since then - nothing.

So, when you ask why sales reps don't know about BB or why they don't push them, that's why: they barely know they exist, and they see nothing from the manufacturer to educate them or motivate them to sell BB phones, so they don't. And, the responsibility for that can only be put in one place: BlackBerry. Almost everyone on this thread can understand this except you. I don't know what else to tell you.
    10-13-14 07:57 PM
    Yes, I'm in the Bay Area, which is both Apple and Google's backyard, and, yes, it's rare to see anything but an iPhone or an Android phone around here, with the few exceptions being flip phones owned by technophobes (like, say, my parents). I'm not sure what that has to do with this issue.

Never anywhere was I talking about stores in my area - I was talking about corporate (not franchise) cell phone stores across the US, and in Canada for that matter. I made no specific claims about my area, rather I was talking in a general sense: corporate stores are the anchor for any carrier in the US, and where customers go when they need any kind of customer service. Franchise stores do little more than sell new phones/contracts, some accessories, and take payments for service plans. Anything more complicated usually means a visit to a corporate store, who also does the things a franchise store does.

And, again, it's the industry standard for manufacturers to send reps to train the sales staff at these corporate stores if they wish those sales reps to be knowledgeable about their products. All of the major brands do this (the entry-level Chinese brands don't), except BlackBerry, who used to do so, but no longer do. And given that they don't, and given that most carriers haven't seen a new BB released on their carrier in 18 months or more, it should be no surprise that most sales staff have written BB off. Without any recent information and advertising from a given brand, that brand effectively ceases to exist in the minds of sales reps, and this is true in almost any consumer industry.

Perhaps BB has sent a rep to your store - I don't visit that store daily (or ever), so I can't say for sure either way. But what I can say is that, over the last 12-18 months, people who work in cell phone stores all over the US and Canada have talked about how long it's been since they've seen a BB rep, and in almost every case, that was at the BB10 launch in early 2013. Since then - nothing.

So, when you ask why sales reps don't know about BB or why they don't push them, that's why: they barely know they exist, and they see nothing from the manufacturer to educate them or motivate them to sell BB phones, so they don't. And, the responsibility for that can only be put in one place: BlackBerry. Almost everyone on this thread can understand this except you. I don't know what else to tell you.
    Well when I sit with the corporate rep in the near future, I will share your "vision" of how things are with him and we will compare notes. Till then if it rains on your next bbq, take comfort in knowing it's BlackBerry's fault!

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 08:03 PM

Troy you are wasting your breath here.
    10-13-14 10:54 PM
    Troy you are wasting your breath here.
    Until you stop preaching everything Apple on a BlackBerry site, ya you are.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    10-14-14 06:58 AM
    Is the BlackBerry Ambassador Program still active?
    10-14-14 10:39 PM
    Who are they going to learn from? It's the manufacturer's job to train them. I promise you that Apple and Samsung have both had a rep in that store within the last month, making sure the displays are up to standard and that the employees are familiar with the product line. When was the last time a BB rep was in that store? 2013?

You can't blame the carrier for the manufacturer's failure.
    Coming from a carrier, true in part, but not for the most part. This is a global phenomenon, they chasing the commission. I know for fact that BlackBerry has exhausted themselves in training and informing store clerks but they still push what gets them the $$$ at the end of the month.
    spyeagle likes this.
    10-15-14 10:38 AM
    Did you teach him? Oooh I hope you did

From my beloved BlackBerry Q10 ?
    Correct

jtvberry
    11-17-14 10:09 AM
    Coming from a carrier, true in part, but not for the most part. This is a global phenomenon, they chasing the commission. I know for fact that BlackBerry has exhausted themselves in training and informing store clerks but they still push what gets them the $$$ at the end of the month.
    This is it more then lack of training. BlackBerry could have reps out training at the same store daily and those employees would still push the phones they prefer and give them the larger kickback. I seen it personally at a Rogers store when BB10 was launched. BlackBerry rep was in store and Rogers rep was telling people that were asking about the BlackBerry they should stay away from BlackBerry cause they were going bankrupt and there would be no support. Unprofessional for the BlackBerry rep to call him out on it in public so it just kept happening. Why waste money on training the unwilling. Then certain people would be on here saying once again how it's BlackBerry's fault for loosing money as it was pointless to train consumer carrier reps on a device aimed at and designed for enterprise.

Posted on my Z10 via CB10
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-17-14 11:42 AM
    Main FutureShop in Downtown Toronto (Yonge & Dundas) has a HUGE table with about 10-12 iPhones (not only 6, but 5S and even 4S I believe) that are live and can be used. The Passport that they have on the Telus table is a dummy. No Qs, Zs or anything else BB. 'nuff said.
    11-17-14 01:17 PM
    Main FutureShop in Downtown Toronto (Yonge & Dundas) has a HUGE table with about 10-12 iPhones (not only 6, but 5S and even 4S I believe) that are live and can be used. The Passport that they have on the Telus table is a dummy. No Qs, Zs or anything else BB. 'nuff said.
    You realize that table was bought and paid for by Apple, and likely set up by Apple staff. My cousin used to do those retail station setups for Apple.

That's BlackBerry's fault for not doing the same, not some conspiracy.

My store has end caps paid for by corporations like Logitech and Microsoft and walls paid for by Sony and Monster. That's not a conspiracy against JVC or any other competitor. That's just retail.

If BB doesn't want to pay for the space, that's on them.
    shaleem, m1a1mg and TgeekB like this.
    11-18-14 08:50 AM
    You realize that table was bought and paid for by Apple, and likely set up by Apple staff. My cousin used to do those retail station setups for Apple.

My store has end caps paid for by corporations like Logitech and Microsoft and walls paid for by Sony and Monster. That's not a conspiracy against JVC or any other competitor. That's just retail.

Oh! But they're all against BlackBerry! It is a sinister plot to force BlackBerry under!! Can't you see that?
    m1a1mg likes this.
    11-18-14 09:35 AM

Very good points.
    11-18-14 09:44 AM
64 123