I have to say, BlackBerry is alone in its efforts to bring itself back. They are doing a great job, and it's a massive undertaking, but they will succeed and they are definitely getting things right. However, they are definitely on their own. Today I went to our local Rogers Store to see our corporate representative. I had placed on order one lonely iphone6, a Passport and a Q10 case. The iphone 6 had been on order and arrived along with the case. While I was waiting I looked at the BlackBerry display. They finally had a z30 out, along with a z10 and Q5. There was nothing offered to draw the eye as opposed to all the other displays. There was no Passport. The company rep says my Passport should be arriving this week. Do you want to see one. I said yes for sure. He goes in the back and brings one out.....what a device. So I start checking it out and he sees me scroll over the keys.....he asks..."what did you just do there"?!

There is nothing more to be said......BlackBerry you are on your own!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 05:03 PM
    Haha that sounds sweet man haha. What did you do right there haha dwl

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 05:05 PM
    Did you teach him? Oooh I hope you did

From my beloved BlackBerry Q10 ?
    jtv1 likes this.
    10-06-14 05:06 PM
    Sure I showed him and it's the first time I have seen/held one in reality. Yes his jaw dropped, but really? They don't put any effort in learning BB10 and it's devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 05:48 PM
    Verizon reps don't either. They are allowed to choose which phone they learn to use. Had one rep tell me she was scared to try the z10. Really?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 06:12 PM
    Verizon reps don't either. They are allowed to choose which phone they learn to use. Had one rep tell me she was scared to try the z10. Really?

Posted via CB10
    Good thing her bosses saved her from the Passport........
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-06-14 06:17 PM
    Sure I showed him and it's the first time I have seen/held one in reality. Yes his jaw dropped, but really? They don't put any effort in learning BB10 and it's devices.
    Who are they going to learn from? It's the manufacturer's job to train them. I promise you that Apple and Samsung have both had a rep in that store within the last month, making sure the displays are up to standard and that the employees are familiar with the product line. When was the last time a BB rep was in that store? 2013?

You can't blame the carrier for the manufacturer's failure.
    10-06-14 09:01 PM
    ^^ first time I actually agree with you.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    10-06-14 09:08 PM
    None of the devices on shopblackberry work on Verizon or Sprint!!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 10:55 PM
    Yeah, this isn't new

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 11:27 PM
    Consider yourself lucky. My carrier doesn't even carry BlackBerrys anymore (T-Mobile USA).

At least I got a free nano sim out of them to use in my Passport though.
    rubyslipperss likes this.
    10-06-14 11:41 PM
    Who are they going to learn from? It's the manufacturer's job to train them. I promise you that Apple and Samsung have both had a rep in that store within the last month, making sure the displays are up to standard and that the employees are familiar with the product line. When was the last time a BB rep was in that store? 2013?

Most sensible post thus far.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 12:27 AM

They are given the opportunity to learn any and all of them. No one taught me how to use my bb10 phones. I mean cmon, no one in a sales position is going to know every single thing about an is unless they use it every single day.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 12:34 AM
    They are given the opportunity to learn any and all of them. No one taught me how to use my bb10 phones. I mean cmon, no one in a sales position is going to know every single thing about an is unless they use it every single day.

Posted via CB10
    I read something a while back that pointed out that one of Apple's biggest investments with the iPhone in the early days was training AT&T personnel to use it and show it.

BlackBerry is ultimately responsible for ensuring that folks are aware of its devices. Other companies make it a priority. Yes, an argument could be made about costs, but in the perfect world, BBRY should be sending folks out to train the salespeople. IMHO, of course.
    boysontheblock likes this.
    10-07-14 12:50 AM

Not this or -1, however it is said.

The stores in our area send people to get trained, Apple and Samsung don't come here.

That being said, BlackBerry is not in the same position as is Samsung or Apple.
    spikesolie and thesoundguy77 like this.
    10-07-14 05:49 AM

I am not talking about some teenage girl working at Best Buy! The person I refer to represents a company that sells Rogers services only. He is their representative for our companies account. "You are in the business". Troy I run a business. If you want to supply the best service to your customers, you need to learn the products or services you sell, period! In fact simply go to the BlackBerry site, take 30 minutes and watch the 10 great demonstration videos of the device. BlackBerry has cleaned up their act regarding their website, and there is ample resources for him to learn.

Posted via CB10
    AYC2112 likes this.
    10-07-14 07:04 AM
    I picked up my passport last Friday. The kid who helped me was super excited to see the passport and once we opened the box, he was just giddy playing with it, scrolling with the keyboard, etc. The other two staff members came over as well to get some hands on time. I heard terms like "that's so dope!", and "wha? That's killer!"

I was surprised the kids all seemed intrigued. The guy helping me even seemed embarrassed when he showed me his iPhone. It was a surreal experience.

As OP notes though, not much of a BlackBerry display in the store...

Passport!
    10-07-14 08:19 AM
    I have been at the TMO, Sprint and ATT store in the last few weeks and educated several sales people on the passport. They were like "wow... that's a blackberry?". I've gotten nothing but positive feedback, and people love the scroll feature. The Sprint employee was even disappointed because Sprint doesn't have it and she wanted one.

Posted via CB10
    Skyforever and Playbook007 like this.
    10-07-14 08:23 AM
    I am not talking about some teenage girl working at Best Buy! The person I refer to represents a company that sells Rogers services only. He is their representative for our companies account.
    And, yet, it's still a fairly entry-level job, and turn-over is still high. Further, the Passport is different from other phones in pretty significant ways, which is the kind of thing that need real training. Obviously BB isn't in a position to do that, but that's not the fault of the carriers - the industry standard is for the manufacturer to send reps to train carrier employees on that manufacturer's products, and like it or not, if you wanna be in the industry, you have to follow the rules, or be big/powerful enough to make new ones.
    10-07-14 11:11 AM
    Lol definitely can't disagree with the OP on this one. They are alone. Glad the Passport is getting looks though and hopefully it can shed more of ancient way people view the company cause until then, people simply don't care to learn about the new products

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Rello; 10-10-14 at 05:24 PM.
    10-07-14 11:25 AM
    One of the big concepts I saw hammered on Dragons Den (and I guess would be on Shark Tank too) was that the inventor had to commit to promoting/supporting the product as well even after getting investors. There was one product that the panel really liked but the applicant wanted to hand over everything and just collect royalties. That completely turned off the Dragons, since the applicant clearly wasn't invested enough in her product to work her patootie off to see it succeed.

It's BBRY's product, not the carriers. BBRY knows the carriers are cool to them at best. Why wouldn't they put in that extra effort training the carriers on their "unique" phone? I can only guess that they don't think ROI is worth it.

Sales isn't a free ride.
    solitude1984 and BluejayChip like this.
    10-07-14 12:06 PM

Yeah. BlackBerry has seemingly never been good at this type of thing. It was evident with the PlayBook in retail settings.

Z10STL100-4/10.3.0.1052
    10-07-14 12:11 PM

You continue to amaze me!
    Andy_bb_king, spikesolie and moody like this.
    10-07-14 12:21 PM
    Who's fault is is it that Blackberry is alone? Should we get into their storied past of releasing products like the Storm series of phones as well as the Playbook? Are carriers just supposed to blindly promote phones that haven't sold? The passport should be given a chance I agree but as far as the other BB10 phones on the market their time has passed. They didn't sell well so carriers have moved on to products that are selling.
    Last edited by donnation; 10-08-14 at 05:35 AM.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    10-07-14 01:58 PM
    And, yet, it's still a fairly entry-level job, and turn-over is still high. Further, the Passport is different from other phones in pretty significant ways, which is the kind of thing that need real training. Obviously BB isn't in a position to do that, but that's not the fault of the carriers - the industry standard is for the manufacturer to send reps to train carrier employees on that manufacturer's products, and like it or not, if you wanna be in the industry, you have to follow the rules, or be big/powerful enough to make new ones.
    Boy wouldn't he like to hear it from you....he has been there for at least 20 years, supports his wife and kids, has a nice office etc. You amaze me at the lengths you will go to to say everything is BlackBerry's fault and nothing falls on the individual or employee. He has all the resources in the world to learn BB10, he has the ability, he has a store Passport at his disposal.....I am sure BlackBerry drove by and threw it through the store window attached to a brick.....BS Trevor as always. BlackBerry gets no love at the carriers because Apple and Samsung have them bent over and there is more than hair pulling going on. Every blog, every thread on every tech site has the iphone fanboys. This is a BlackBerry site and yet you never fail to show up waving the big iphone flag!

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 02:31 PM
64 123