Welcome!

I'm looking for phone with hardware keyboard. My attention has turned for BB phones - excellent quality and very high usability. I chose 3 models: Priv, Classic and Passport. One Android and two BBOs 10 and question - is worth buying phone with BBOs 10 today? Future of BBOs is not sure, Android is heavy and need powerful processors for smooth operation...
    What is Your opinion?

Best Regards

LITE
    08-24-17 04:25 AM
    No one should be buying a BB10 device today, unless all you care about is email, SMS and some web browsing.
    08-24-17 09:10 AM
    I agree with Bla1ze.

I have a PRIV and have been very satisfied with it. As for Android being "heavy" - well, especially if you do some basic things like turning off animations, my PRIV runs just fine. No need to fear Android on the PRIV.
    08-24-17 10:16 AM
    Welcome!

I'm looking for phone with hardware keyboard. My attention has turned for BB phones - excellent quality and very high usability. I chose 3 models: Priv, Classic and Passport. One Android and two BBOs 10 and question - is worth buying phone with BBOs 10 today? Future of BBOs is not sure, Android is heavy and need powerful processors for smooth operation...
    What is Your opinion?

Best Regards

LITE
    No.

No.

And did I mention "no"?

The future of BB10 is VERY sure. BB10 is dead. Period. There will never be another BB10 phone unless some billionaire suddenly loses his mind and decides he wants to write off his fortune instead of leaving it to his kids.

If apps do not and never will mean anything to you, then sure, buy a BB10 phone. Or buy a 9900. You'll get the same experience.

Regardless of whether the Priv is supported or updated again, its OS (Marshmallow) will be compatible with almost all apps for years to come.

Now before its over with, some sycophants will chime in and say that BB10 isn't dead because their phone still works. I hope you are of sound enough judgment to consider such statements for what they are.

But it's your money. Buy what you think will make you happy. Just don't be shocked when/if it doesn't.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-24-17 10:58 AM
    No one should be buying a BB10 device today, unless all you care about is email, SMS and some web browsing.
    AND phone calls.
    Rezzor likes this.
    08-24-17 11:00 AM
    I wish to say BB 10 on Passport worked fine with me as I never cared much for apps including apps like whatsapp. It worked with FB,twitter,evernote,db,box, onedrive etc and so I am OK with it. I love the build, looks and durability of Blackberry phones and the current phone I use is the BB Passport.

That said, if BB 10 OS is not upgrading itself, and if no one is working behind it anymore, in the current IT senario, it does not make sense to buy BB 10 devices anymore.

Regarding android BB phones. I bought keyone. It is OK a good phone. But I must say that the Passport is more comfortable and smooth and efficient to use. That is it. thanks.
    08-24-17 11:16 AM
    AND phone calls.
    Oh right.. people still do that.
    Troy Tiscareno and moonflyer like this.
    08-24-17 11:26 AM
    Because of its actual price and quality I think it worth buying a passport today. If it would cost 700 dollars then obviously not.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-17 11:51 AM
    I have found the BlackBerry PRIV And KEYone to be comparable while each has their advantages and disadvantages. In my case, if the BlackBerry KEYone had never materialized, the BlackBerry PRIV would still be my primary smartphone.
    08-24-17 11:51 AM
    Unfortunately, a lot of third world country dwellers still rely on it.
    08-24-17 12:02 PM
    That said, if BB 10 OS is not upgrading itself, and if no one is working behind it anymore, in the current IT senario, it does not make sense to buy BB 10 devices anymore.
    Which is why so many here today don't recommend it for most people. There is no IF about BB10 future... there isn't one.
    08-24-17 01:19 PM
    This makes me chuckle outright - I seldom use mine as a phone. Literally, TWO calls a WEEK is HEAVY volume for me!

That's why the keyboard is so important for me, lots of texting / emailing.
    08-24-17 02:11 PM
    Which is why so many here today don't recommend it for most people. There is no IF about BB10 future... there isn't one.
    So, I don't should buy Passport Silver Edition and should buy Priv?
    08-25-17 05:58 AM
    You have a wide range of android devices to choose from, not necessary to buy a Priv...

Posted via CB10
    08-25-17 07:16 AM
    You have a wide range of android devices to choose from, not necessary to buy a Priv...

Posted via CB10
    I want full, hardware keyboard.
    08-25-17 07:26 AM
    Buy the passport for display and the priv to use as a communications device. Seriously, I consider the SE to be the best looking phone ever made.
    08-25-17 08:11 AM
    Unfortunately, a lot of third world country dwellers still rely on it.
    And for those of us who talk to people all through out the day as a profession for interviews and networking. I am a recruiter so a solid phone for clear calls is necessary. The battery life on the KEYone is a huge plus too.
    08-25-17 08:35 AM
    Buy the passport for display and the priv to use as a communications device. Seriously, I consider the SE to be the best looking phone ever made.
    I agree with you, and it killed me inside to let it go. There was just so much more I wanted it to do.
    08-25-17 12:27 PM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I want full, hardware keyboard.
    Passport is excellent.. still using my day one passport.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-17 03:04 PM
    Passport is excellent.. still using my day one passport.

Posted via CB10
    For document writers and readers the wider screen of the BlackBerry Passport probably provides a UX similar to a tablet or notebook computer. Maybe BlackBerry Mobile will release a BlackBerry Passport running BlackBerry Android.
    Bfalcon1 likes this.
    08-27-17 07:07 AM
    This makes me chuckle outright - I seldom use mine as a phone. Literally, TWO calls a WEEK is HEAVY volume for me!

That's why the keyboard is so important for me, lots of texting / emailing.
    I use my smartphone as a telephone about twice a year. I would trade unlimited Canada-wide calling for an additional 2.5GB of data per month.
    08-27-17 07:10 AM
    For document writers and readers the wider screen of the BlackBerry Passport probably provides a UX similar to a tablet or notebook computer. Maybe BlackBerry Mobile will release a BlackBerry Passport running BlackBerry Android.
    They tried, failed, and gave up. Android does not support 1:1-ratio screens and far too many apps didn't work. There will be no Android Passport.
    08-28-17 12:49 AM
    Welcome!

What is Your opinion?

Best Regards

LITE
    It depends on your needs:
    If you use social media (Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram etc.) a lot - I would only go with the KeyONE.
    It's the only Android-Berry nowadays that's fully supported!
    Couple of days ago BlackBerry announced that it will get Android 8 (it's running Android 7 right now).
    The Priv will mostly stick with Android 6 - unofficially it's EOL, so it would be burning your money.

If you just use your phone for "basic" stuff, like e-mail, browsing and calls:
    Then you could still buy OS10 devices for little money.
    OS10 still is the golden standard when it comes to security and especially privacy!
    All of them still run pretty smoothly and stabil.
    But if you go beyond "basic" stuff I can't recommend it.
    OS10 will still be around, but in "maintenance mode" - no updates to be expected.
    There are still companies like AirBus Germany or so that have OS10 on contracts for the next handful of years and for this time BlackBerry has to keep them running.
    08-28-17 02:41 AM
    Before buying KEYone... check out the DTEK60 fora. I hope blackberrymobile / TCL encourage BlackBerry to provide the ongoing security updates that have not been provided - it's nearly September and DTEK60 is still on early June security update.

My Trust is gone .... but I still have hope that the reputation damage caused by DTEK60 being less than a year old and appearing abandoned is recognised by BlackBerry Mobile / TCL and steps taken to make the DTEK60 ripoff right.

Do buy a KEYone if you are happy with the risk, but bear in mind the root of trust and absolute security promised with the DTEK60 - less than a year ago..... I hope I can write in a few weeks that finally information has been given about the saga ending ........but it looks like iPhone and pixel are the safest bets ....

I also bought a KEYone for my wife before the DTEK60 ripoff / abandonment became clear.... BlackBerry odds are too high for me - I will Never buy anything linked with BlackBerry again.
    Last edited by Antberrymartyr1; 08-28-17 at 09:14 AM.
    08-28-17 08:56 AM
    I use my smartphone as a telephone about twice a year. I would trade unlimited Canada-wide calling for an additional 2.5GB of data per month.
    I was a bit choked recently - MTS (Manitoba Telecom Systems) had a truly unlimited Canada-wide data plan - but when I went to trade my Classic in for a PRIV, I found that they had CHANGED PLANS and I couldn't get unlimited any more! Argh!
    08-28-17 09:40 AM
53 123