I started developing apps for learning purposes and realized how widespread the problem of new apps not getting noticed is.

Originally my plan was to start with BlackBerry 10 move on to BlackBerry 7 and to Apple, Android etc. But I soon realized that even on BlackBerry World, an app store that isn't even out yet and is said to have about 70 000 apps, my apps won't see much traffic. Yeah, the apps aren't really useful everyday but the point is that this happens to almost every app out there. Then, in another thread, I quickly thought of an suggestion that could help these new apps get noticed by people who want to notice them.

With the power of BlackBerry push notification and BlackBerry hub, what if BlackBerry World pushes out new app notifications?

I know most of you just remembered those annoying free app ads you get on current BlackBerrys by apps that are free. BUT this will be done officially by RIM to get new apps noticed. The general overview of the idea is to allow users to follow tags (e.g. pdf, radio, pictures, social) followed by allowing users to set notification types (one push/week, one push/new app etc...) and finally pushing notifications that match the user's settings to their phones to alert them of new apps! If an app has good ratings, more people get notified about that app.

What do you think?
    Last edited by DisturbedRocks31; 01-10-13 at 08:03 PM. Reason: reading enhancements
    01-10-13 06:37 PM
    i think it will be quite annoying to BB users to receive notifications every now and then.
    especially if on that particular day, almost every 30minutes, a new app was introduced by RIM. i'm sure many would not agree..
    but what i can suggest here is for RIM to bundle every new apps into one email and sent to every BB users once a week.. maybe 20 or 30 apps per email.
    although currently i think most new apps get the line up on the main screen, but once in a while u see old apps surfacing as well...
    and yes, there's also a list of new apps/themes in current appworld.
    just that i believe with email notifications once a week will do even much better to highlight new apps. something like a RIM Newsletter for new or featured apps..

just my two and a half cents.

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-10-13 06:50 PM
    i think it will be quite annoying to BB users to receive notifications every now and then.
    especially if on that particular day, almost every 30minutes, a new app was introduced by RIM. i'm sure many would not agree..
    but what i can suggest here is for RIM to bundle every new apps into one email and sent to every BB users once a week.. maybe 20 or 30 apps per email.
    although currently i think most new apps get the line up on the main screen, but once in a while u see old apps surfacing as well...
    and yes, there's also a list of new apps/themes in current appworld.
    just that i believe with email notifications once a week will do even much better to highlight new apps. something like a RIM Newsletter for new or featured apps..

just my two and a half cents.

... followed by allowing users to set notification types (one push/week, one push/new app etc...)
    01-10-13 06:53 PM
    I know there are the recommended apps they keep trying to push to me. Very annoying.
    01-10-13 06:56 PM
    I know there are the recommended apps they keep trying to push to me. Very annoying.
    and especially when we download their apps and then they send a PIN message to inform pf promotions from their company and such..
    major annoying.
    i thought there's an important PIN message to me only to find out its an advertisement. sucks big time. i hope new developers don't do this.. otherwise for me, i will not even download anymore apps from that particular company.

RIM. suggesting an email newsletter for new apps i think is a better idea to help new developers and also preventing nuisance to normal BB users.. just a thought.

01-10-13 07:17 PM
    or yes... push notifications setting should also include turning off notifications from appworld as well besides daily, weekly or BI weekly settings.

01-10-13 07:20 PM
    Exactly but what if they were the apps that you actually wanted?! That level of personalization to push notfiications out would be nice.
    01-10-13 07:33 PM
    Exactly but what if they were the apps that you actually wanted?! That level of personalization to push notfiications out would be nice.
    if I wanted it I would download it. Otherwise its just targeted advertising of what they THINK I want. Another excuse for them to collect my data, if they aren't doing this already.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    01-10-13 07:57 PM
    if I wanted it I would download it. Otherwise its just targeted advertising of what they THINK I want. Another excuse for them to collect my data, if they aren't doing this already.
    Okay, no offence but please read my idea... :|
    01-10-13 08:02 PM
    I don't think its a bad idea to subscribe to a category for updates but I think people would be over whelmed by all the apps. Probably looking at the new app section is good enough. Also you are looking at it from a merchants view where you want to sell the app, the consumer will naturally seek out an app that they need at the time so a properly functioning search/discovery app store is essential. Is there any issues with App World now? To me the search sucks, you have to be very close to the app name to get a good result.
    01-10-13 08:08 PM
    Sorry OP, users have been overwhelmed with unsolicited information, so tolerance for more is zero.
    01-10-13 08:30 PM
    Sorry OP, users have been overwhelmed with unsolicited information, so tolerance for more is zero.
    I don't understand.. you're not giving any more information that what you normally would! Your personal details are associated with BBID, the tags that you would follow are the same ones that you would manually input in search boxes, your PIN is obviously available to RIM. Which unsolicited information am I missing?
    01-10-13 10:19 PM
    I don't think its a bad idea to subscribe to a category for updates but I think people would be over whelmed by all the apps. Probably looking at the new app section is good enough. Also you are looking at it from a merchants view where you want to sell the app, the consumer will naturally seek out an app that they need at the time so a properly functioning search/discovery app store is essential. Is there any issues with App World now? To me the search sucks, you have to be very close to the app name to get a good result.
    Well yeah, for example, if I'm looking through all the apps, what happens is that the top 20 apps show up with a little + icon. When I scroll down, 8 more get loaded. But they won't get added to the end of the list! Instead, they'll be inserted in the 20 I was looking at before. So, if I want to make sure I didn't skip the app that I could use, I'll have to also scroll through the previous 20 I looked at!
    01-10-13 10:36 PM
    I don't know why people just "go at it" with blinders on.
    I recognize everyone here as a productive member and friend, but I don't see anyone actually comprehending the post.
    Everything the OP mentioned is VOLUNTARY, ELECTED, and CUSTOMIZABLE.

You would not be forced to receive any notifications at all.
    You would voluntarily request the option of participating and receiving notifications.

You would only receive notification for certain tags for the kind of apps that you elect yourself.
    This is limited to only your tag elections and your elections alone. Not every type of app.

You can only be overwhelmed if you elected to be notified about every submission under the sun.
    But who would be at fault for that?
    You would be able to control the frequency of such notifications.

This idea is nothing like downloading free applications and receiving spam from those same companies at all.
    But again, who would be at fault for that?

With the additional settings within profile management for silencing/vibration/rintones there can be no downside IMO.

It's like the Skype, Netflix, or WhatsApp situation...
    If you don't or wouldn't want to participate... Just don't.
    But, don't limit options for other users just because you have no need or use for something.

Anyway, it's just an idea not policy.
    01-10-13 10:54 PM
    Yay! Someone actually read it properly!
    peter9477 and KDB84 like this.
    01-10-13 11:42 PM
    It might be interesting to set up a poll and see if folks would have interest in receiving something like that. Myself I would rather have an email that could come out once a week showcasing apps in categories I said was important to me, and could be read at my convenience/desire instead of being pushed to my phone.
    01-11-13 08:34 AM
    Provided RIM exposed an API to allow third-party access to BlackBerry World, this would just be an idea for a third-party app (and server, for the Push). No reason for RIM to do everything themselves...
    01-11-13 08:37 AM
    OK, reading through the thread I can understand why people wouldn't like notifications, and if that's the case, then people won't sign up for them and the idea wouldn't work.

However, I can see the OP's point about new apps being lost and never noticed. Android and iOS are an absolute nightmare for that, and if BB10 does take off, the same thing will happen here. So what is the solution? The categories could be re-done maybe? Allowing greater drilling down would help. But even now it can be a right pain trying to find something, so if not the OP's idea, then what else would people suggest to help? Or do you not see it as a problem?
    01-11-13 08:52 AM
    It might be interesting to set up a poll and see if folks would have interest in receiving something like that. Myself I would rather have an email that could come out once a week showcasing apps in categories I said was important to me, and could be read at my convenience/desire instead of being pushed to my phone.
    Apparently not reading the OP's post correctly continues...

OK. Why would a poll be needed if participation would be voluntary????
    Simple check-mark boxes on an options page would suffice.
    If you did not want this service, you would just elect not to have it. Just like anything else "Berry".

Also, as far as the notifications, you do realize that BlackBerry email is a "push" notification service, correct?
    Whether it be by push email, push Pin to Pin, or a push notification through AppWorld itself, doesn't change the fact that the alert has to be opened and read.
    All of which could be controlled and customized for content & frequency by the end user.
    So, You would be able to read them at your convenience/desire.
    Or not, if you choose not to participate.

Please read the OP's post or post #14.... Carefully.
    01-11-13 09:00 AM
    i think a weekly newsletter thru email should be a good idea.. considering in the newsletter should mention ONLY new apps and feature apps.
    and also it should be done by RIM since RIM is also making money out of this.

01-11-13 09:01 AM
    Apparently not reading the OP's post correctly continues...

OK. Why would a poll be needed if participation would be voluntary????
    Simple check-mark boxes on an options page would suffice.
    If you did not want this service, you would just elect not to have it. Just like anything else "Berry".

Also, as far as the notifications, you do realize that BlackBerry email is a "push" notification service, correct?
    Whether it be by push email, push Pin to Pin, or a push notification through AppWorld itself, doesn't change the fact that the alert has to be opened and read.
    All of which could be controlled and customized for content & frequency by the end user.
    So, You would be able to read them at your convenience/desire.
    Or not, if you choose not to participate.

Please read the OP's post or post #14.... Carefully.
    My point was to gauge whether there would be demand for such a feature otherwise why devote the time, especially if it's voluntary, how many would actually opt in.

Please explain in your usual snarky way how that sentiment equates with your statement that I didn't read the OP's original post?
    01-11-13 09:37 AM
    I cant see RIM ever doing it, as it would ned curation for regions etc, so thats prob too big a task, however 3rd party apps do have access to the hub, so this could actually be a neat 3rd party app if done right.

i remeber there was/is (havent looked lately) an app that would let you know of apps that had price drops and stuff in appworld, so theres the ability to do this, but i dont think RIM would do this themselves as theyd actually maybe be restricting what you view in appworld in a way as youd use the suggestions and not just `browse`, so from their point its not worth doing, but as a 3rd party app it would be useful
    01-11-13 09:45 AM
    My point was to gauge whether there would be demand for such a feature otherwise why devote the time, especially if it's voluntary, how many would actually opt in.

Please explain in your usual snarky way how that sentiment equates with your statement that I didn't read the OP's original post?
    Explanation: Because you never stated that at all. Your previous comment is far removed from your statement now.
    If that is what you "meant" why not just say so, instead of writing a comment which indicated you did not read and comprehend the OP's post???

EDIT:
    Myself I would rather have an email that could come out once a week showcasing apps in categories I said was important to me, and could be read at my convenience/desire instead of being pushed to my phone.
    This statement also indicates that you did not read the OP's post.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 01-11-13 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Added another "explanation"
    01-11-13 09:54 AM
    However, I can see the OP's point about new apps being lost and never noticed. Android and iOS are an absolute nightmare for that, and if BB10 does take off, the same thing will happen here. So what is the solution? The categories could be re-done maybe? Allowing greater drilling down would help. But even now it can be a right pain trying to find something, so if not the OP's idea, then what else would people suggest to help? Or do you not see it as a problem?
    If you haven't had access to BlackBerry World on a Dev Alpha yet (or a real BB10 phone), you may not realize there are significant improvements in some of these areas. Lists are "infinite" now, instead of just "Top 25", there's a "Trending" list and some other ways to filter the results, and it's so fast and slick that it won't be such a drag to run it more often. And, I'm sure, there will be ongoing improvements to make sure the best apps are visible, and the niche apps are still findable. And, hopefully, the crappy apps are "buried" and/or eventually just removed from the store. ;-)
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    01-11-13 10:01 AM
    If you haven't had access to BlackBerry World on a Dev Alpha yet (or a real BB10 phone), you may not realize there are significant improvements in some of these areas. Lists are "infinite" now, instead of just "Top 25", there's a "Trending" list and some other ways to filter the results, and it's so fast and slick that it won't be such a drag to run it more often. And, I'm sure, there will be ongoing improvements to make sure the best apps are visible, and the niche apps are still findable. And, hopefully, the crappy apps are "buried" and/or eventually just removed from the store. ;-)
    No, you're absolutely right, I haven't seen it. Thanks for that.
    01-11-13 10:02 AM
31 12