here's interesting find from seeking Alpha.

debango
    Comments (17)| + Follow | Send Message
    You heard it here first! so, blackberry has been working on a hybrid phone that uses android OS and BlackBerry OS, allowing for a secured experience on its infrastructure. The recent work with lollipop and work with Boeing apparently has allowed company to work out kinks. That apparently will provide full access to Google Play but with secure app validation protocol likely to make it more secure running full android apps. Looks like the company's changing business model is going to surprise a lot of folks in the next few months.
    BlackBerry: It's Time To Take The Blinders Off - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

From the beginning I thought - it's what we have now - BB10 + android runtime. But when I read it again - it looks like it is a bit different. what you think?!

maybe that's the thing of the deal between boeing and bb?
    12-29-14 08:44 PM
    here's interesting find from seeking Alpha.

BlackBerry: It's Time To Take The Blinders Off - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

From the beginning I thought - it's what we have now - BB10 + android runtime. But when I read it again - it looks like it is a bit different. what you think?!

maybe that's the thing of the deal between boeing and bb?
    They are providing a secure infrastructure for their Android devices.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    12-29-14 08:49 PM
    Sounds like hokum to me.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 09:14 PM
    What's difference between how Android runs an app and how the Android Runtime runs an app? I'm pretty certain it's none since Android also has the Android Runtime.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 09:52 PM
    What's difference between how Android runs an app and how the Android Runtime runs an app? I'm pretty certain it's none since Android also has the Android Runtime.

Posted via CB10
    There are a lot of differences.

All the APIs tying into the device hardware are of course rewritten and/or broken. BlackBerry will never have access to Google Play Services, which lock out access to a large catalogue of available apps and functionality. How android apps run in the background and how they provide notifications are impacted as well.

Essentially everything outside of the basic core is totally different.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    12-29-14 09:56 PM
    Oh, I think the shorts are going to be running scared. I'm happy to be long.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 09:58 PM
    Not sure how I feel about this.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 10:10 PM
    There are a lot of differences.

All the APIs tying into the device hardware are of course rewritten and/or broken. BlackBerry will never have access to Google Play Services, which lock out access to a large catalogue of available apps and functionality. How android apps run in the background and how they provide notifications are impacted as well.

Essentially everything outside of the basic core is totally different.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Google Play Services doesn't have much to do with how an app runs. Sure, it's involved to make it work. The APIs don't have anything to do how an app runs, buts it's require to be able to run. What I'm trying to say, from the point of view of running an app, the Android Runtime and the Android OS are exactly the same because Android OS uses a Runtime itself.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 10:15 PM
    Bogus... Didn't even need to read the article
    12-29-14 10:17 PM
    False, Chen already said nothing is in the works to bring Google Play to Blackberry phones.

We have heard much of BES managing Android devices though.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 10:24 PM
    The truth will come out soon.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 10:55 PM
    Do not think this is true... but if you look into the crystal ball ... one thing Google is doing in the next couple of
    years is going ART route which may in the future close off Android giving Google more control over the OS... if this is the case could box BB in at Kit Kat.... would be a problem a couple of years down the road for BB if they stay in the hardware business....
    12-29-14 11:14 PM
    Just to clarify, this claim was made by someone that commented on the article, not by the author of the article. Maybe this is what Chen was referring to in that Bloomberg (or was it CNBC?) interview when he was talking about new SW that would excite people?

I still don't get how this could possibly work? Would BB10 and Android run simultaneously? So instead of an Android runtime sitting on top of BB10, it would be a mix of the two? But how would Blackberry be able to get OHA certified with a device like that? And wouldn't that upset the other OHA partners? What would stop Samsung from trying to do the same thing with Tizen? Or maybe Google doesn't really care as long as their search and services take priority on any and all devices? Very interesting. I would imagine any hybrid phone like this would need a tonne of RAM and processing power.
    12-30-14 01:00 AM
    Just to clarify, this claim was made by someone that commented on the article, not by the author of the article. Maybe this is what Chen was referring to in that Bloomberg (or was it CNBC?) interview when he was talking about new SW that would excite people?

I still don't get how this could possibly work? Would BB10 and Android run simultaneously? So instead of an Android runtime sitting on top of BB10, it would be a mix of the two? But how would Blackberry be able to get OHA certified with a device like that? And wouldn't that upset the other OHA partners? What would stop Samsung from trying to do the same thing with Tizen? Or maybe Google doesn't really care as long as their search and services take priority on any and all devices? Very interesting. I would imagine any hybrid phone like this would need a tonne of RAM and processing power.
    That 4gb ram, octacore, 64 bit machine?

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    12-30-14 03:25 AM
    A pure android phone has to be an option. Chen knows this.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 04:16 AM
    Are you sure you aren't thinking about the interview with Patrick Soon-Shiong re, Nanthealth and the genome sequencing app made to run on the Passport? Coz that's some pretty serious software

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    12-30-14 04:34 AM
    A pure android phone has to be an option. Chen knows this.

Posted via CB10
    But then why don't people just opt for an Android device instead of getting a BlackBerry?

LuvULongTime likes this.
    12-30-14 04:35 AM
    Are you sure you aren't thinking about the interview with Patrick Soon-Shiong re, Nanthealth and the genome sequencing app made to run on the Passport? Coz that's some pretty serious software

Nope. It was in an interview that he did after the earnings call. There was a blog post on CB with the interview. Too lazy to look for it now.
    12-30-14 10:23 AM
    Nope. It was in an interview that he did after the earnings call. There was a blog post on CB with the interview. Too lazy to look for it now.
    Yea sorry I actually watched the interview earlier, saw it on the front page, it was bloomberg. He spoke about being 99% certain etc. and the connected Maserati.
    I thought I heard him say a new coming product, I was thinking something to do with the IOT he kept mentioning

12-30-14 10:51 AM
    Yea sorry I actually watched the interview earlier, saw it on the front page, it was bloomberg. He spoke about being 99% certain etc. and the connected Maserati.
    I thought I heard him say a new coming product, I was thinking something to do with the IOT he kept mentioning

No worries. That was the interview. He could have been referring to IOT. This rumour could be bunk. I think it is as it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    12-30-14 12:08 PM
    But then why don't people just opt for an Android device instead of getting a BlackBerry?

'Best of both worlds' argument, I suppose.

I don't believe the hype though lol.
    12-30-14 12:22 PM
    'Best of both worlds' argument, I suppose.

I don't believe the hype though lol.
    The longer I'm with BB10, the more I think I would welcome the best of both worlds. The BB10 interface trumps everything else for me and given a choice between BB10 and the fact that some apps I would like are not available/don't work or Android/Apple, I choose BB10. But full app compatibility would be awesome.
    eyhab27 likes this.
    12-30-14 02:10 PM
    The truth will come out soon.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, it's like looking at someone working on a Macbook pro but they are running windows. It just defeats the whole purpose of buying the mac..

If BlackBerry moves over and installs Android as a "dual-boot". I will definitely remove if possible. Otherwise you might as well just purchase an android device

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    12-31-14 03:44 AM
    STRAWS.....GRASPING.....

Is that from a comment to an article on Seeking Alpha?
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    12-31-14 07:25 AM

Take the Q10 or Classic form factor, put high-end hardware inside and have it run the latest flavor of Android and you'd have a Android device unlike any that has ever been made.

I don't know about you, but I can't name any Android device with a physical keyboard as nice as BlackBerry can make.

That's reason enough for me to buy a Android phone from BlackBerry on day one.
    01-03-15 08:53 PM
60 123