If the rumors are true that BlackBerry is working with Google to help secure Android, what is BlackBerry getting out of the deal? Why doesn't Chen try to get Google Play Store on BlackBerry instead of going complete Android? With google's approval, the BlackBerry community won't be hurting on apps. I don't see why that would be a problem if he's able to make this happen.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 01:43 PM
    Blackberry gets to manage Android devices under the Android For Work program that Google is pushing. Google doesn't want to make an exception to allow BB10 to have the Playstore because the user base is too small and they don't want to ruffle their OEM partners who are allowed to put the Playstore only on full Android devices.
    07-21-15 01:52 PM
    Contracts are unique between parties. If Google believes BlackBerry's security technology is superior to other suitors and their own in-house efforts, it would be perfectly logical for Google and BlackBerry to hammer out cross agreements to license certain components to each other. Thus BlackBerry could be granted license to integrate Google Play Services into BB10.

The OHA was designed to keep Android with a common denominator across all platforms. BlackBerry may be succeeding in having created a common denominator for security. Cross licensing would be win-win for both companies.

BlackBerry Q10 driven by 10.3.2.2339 on T-Mobile
    07-21-15 02:04 PM
    I really think that getting the play store from Google and BlackBerry will be a game changer. Having bb10 ND the play store will give all BlackBerry users all the apps that they would need. Then many people will come back to BlackBerry because there won't be any apps missing

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 02:22 PM
    Contracts are unique between parties. If Google believes BlackBerry's security technology is superior to other suitors and their own in-house efforts, it would be perfectly logical for Google and BlackBerry to hammer out cross agreements to license certain components to each other. Thus BlackBerry could be granted license to integrate Google Play Services into BB10.

The OHA was designed to keep Android with a common denominator across all platforms. BlackBerry may be succeeding in having created a common denominator for security. Cross licensing would be win-win for both companies.

BlackBerry Q10 driven by 10.3.2.2339 on T-Mobile
    OHA is a joint intiaitve. All those companies contribute to the coding of Android. Its not Google and everyone reports to them. Its everyone in OHA who reports to everyone in the OHA. Google cant make that decision by themselves.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    07-21-15 10:19 PM
    Blackberry gets to manage Android devices under the Android For Work program that Google is pushing. Google doesn't want to make an exception to allow BB10 to have the Playstore because the user base is too small and they don't want to ruffle their OEM partners who are allowed to put the Playstore only on full Android devices.
    This was my thought too sort of. Under BES the administrator would manage the Android apps for both BB10 devices and Android devices. BUT this solution only covers enterprise users and it seems to easy to be true.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 01:11 AM