about a year and a half ago i switched from blackberry to android. my android phone has died and i find myself using my old bold 9000

my current plan doesnt include BIS, but i have been able to set it up so that the GPRS works anyway.

so without BIS, what am i missing out on?
    BBM? i have free text anyway
    emails? i can check mail online or get the gmail app, instant emails arent a necessity to me

im looking to get a 9900 since i love the feel and reliability of blackberry, but i dont want to have to pay an extra $30 a month or so just to get BIS
    04-04-12 11:31 PM
    about a year and a half ago i switched from blackberry to android. my android phone has died and i find myself using my old bold 9000

my current plan doesnt include BIS, but i have been able to set it up so that the GPRS works anyway.

so without BIS, what am i missing out on?
    BBM? i have free text anyway
    emails? i can check mail online or get the gmail app, instant emails arent a necessity to me

im looking to get a 9900 since i love the feel and reliability of blackberry, but i dont want to have to pay an extra $30 a month or so just to get BIS
    What the point of having a BB phone without BIS/BES. Its like having a Sport car that just looks good. Go get yourself another android phone.
    04-04-12 11:43 PM
    What the point of having a BB phone without BIS/BES. Its like having a Sport car that just looks good. Go get yourself another android phone.
    i like how you actually read my post .......................................
    04-05-12 12:07 AM
    but i dont want to have to pay an extra $30 a month or so just to get BIS
    Hmmmm, yes I did, If its not in your budget then its not the right phone for you.
    04-05-12 12:18 AM
    I think email notification is the biggest thing. With out blackberry's best features (email notification, protect, etc) and then you have a lack of apps compared to your android, you probably are giving too much up to switch. I'd probably be more frustrated then I am now.

How much is the android data plan? Is it that much difference from $30?
    04-05-12 12:19 AM
    It's the good thing I live in Canada because our plans for all smartphones are more or less equally expensive.

You are missing out on some good apps like Evernote, weather apps, etc
    04-05-12 12:24 AM
    Hmmmm, yes I did, If its not in your budget then its not the right phone for you.
    ^
    quit being an elitist

my current plan is $18 a month, in order to get a similar blackberry plan it will cost me about $50 a month. i meant $30 on top of what im paying

i have been using my blackberry without BIS for about a month. the only things which dont work for me are the facebook app and instant emails
    i love my blackberry and would like to upgrade to a new 9900
    04-05-12 12:28 AM
    ^

i meant $30 on top of what im paying

i love my blackberry and would like to upgrade to a new 9900
    What you meant & what you posted are two different things.
    Do what ever make you happy. You want a Blackberry but not the BIS. Thats Like getting an Iphone with out the apps.
    04-05-12 12:56 AM
    Do what ever make you happy. You want a Blackberry but not the BIS. Thats Like getting an Iphone with out the apps.
    no, no it is not...............
    you're yet to explain what i miss out on by not having BIS

04-05-12 01:08 AM
    no, no it is not...............

you're yet to explain what i miss out on by not having BIS

Sorry to interrupt, what I can tell is that if you are good with your old Blackberry without BIS, having 9900 without BIS is a lot different.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9810 using Tapatalk
    04-05-12 01:18 AM
    Sorry to interrupt, what I can tell is that if you are good with your old Blackberry without BIS, having 9900 without BIS is a lot different.

hence why i made this thread
    what will i miss out on by not having bis?
    04-05-12 01:28 AM
    chat room style message via BB Groups.

immediate notification of e-mail.

At least, thats what I am going to miss.
    04-05-12 01:37 AM
    Even I'd like to get enlightened.

I have a 9900, which is with my brother, and a 8520, both w/o BIS.
    What I miss(?)
    1) emails being pushed.
    2) bbm.
    3) Facebook app.
    4) twitter.
    How I cope up:
    1) I don't get million dollar emails. So no slipt second urgency. Gmail app is just fine. Infact the web version is even better.
    2) none of my contacts are using BB except a mere two people. Whatsapp does the thing.
    3) Facebook, really? Its Ann horrible app. I prefer, again, the mobile site.
    4) I m not on twitter. :

Other than that, ota just works fine, appworld works fine, world mate works ,yet again, fine.

So what am I missing?
    Yeah, huge bills.
    paul. and barbarianthemadserb like this.
    04-05-12 01:42 AM
    ^^^
    THANK YOU!!

this is what im talking about. what are you REALLY missing out on?
    everything which a BIS data plan lets you do can be substituted, correct?

i just want further opinions on what i wont be getting, in case i have missed something in the OP

thanks for not being a parrot and blindly saying blackberry is useless without BIS
    RoseBud, would seem you are wrong.... lol.....
    04-05-12 01:49 AM
    hence why i made this thread

what will i miss out on by not having bis?

Most applications in Appworld that require internet will never work without BIS. You will also miss the luxury of having your email integrated and pushed into your Blackberry Messages. Notifications from social apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Getglue, Tumbler, etc. will also not be pushed to your phone. For OS7 devices like 9900, NFC, Blackberry Tag, Playbook Bridge, BBMusic and a lot more will also not work.

Will you just be using 9900 for SMS, Calls, camera, music and its browser? I dont think so...

04-05-12 01:59 AM
    Most applications in Appworld that require internet will never work without BIS. You will also miss the luxury of having your email integrated and pushed into your Blackberry Messages. Notifications from social apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Getglue, Tumbler, etc. will also not be pushed to your phone. For OS7 devices like 9900, NFC, Blackberry Tag, Playbook Bridge, BBMusic and a lot more will also not work.

Will you just be using 9900 for SMS, Calls, camera, music and its browser? I dont think so...

these are basically all the things which im using my 9000 for at the moment, and the same things i used my android phone for
    04-05-12 02:08 AM
    Most applications in Appworld that require internet will never work without BIS.
    U r plain wrong.
    Proof: Whatsapp.
    Yeah it says that whatsapp requires a working BES/BIS plan during setup, but its just working fine on my both devices.

Sent from my 8520 w/o BIS via Crackberry App downloaded via Appworld
    paul. likes this.
    04-05-12 02:12 AM
    U r plain wrong.

Proof: Whatsapp.

Yeah it says that whatsapp requires a working BES/BIS plan during setup, but its just working fine on my both devices.

Sent from my 8520 w/o BIS via Crackberry App downloaded via Appworld

I thought my english was good enough...

No Offense but I said "MOST" and I didn't even include Whatsapp, did I?

04-05-12 02:44 AM
    these are basically all the things which im using my 9000 for at the moment, and the same things i used my android phone for

All the things? nah... for a Blackberry without BIS? it can only do so much, not all.

04-05-12 02:47 AM
    I thought my english was good enough...

No Offense but I said "MOST" and I didn't even include Whatsapp, did I?

Maybe mine isn't good. Because I suppose most = maximum/majority.
    Where as only a handful of apps which created by BB won't work because, ofcourse, obviously, they are routed through BB servers, which requires BIS. For eg: BB protect, BB music, bbm, BB travel (for all of which I have found a better sustitute)

I put whatsapp there because it was a good example of an internetbased app downloaded via appworld.
    Hint: Appworld works w/o BIS. :
    04-05-12 03:17 AM
    I believe we have our own freedom to choose... and we also have our own preferences and cost implications... I don't have any problem paying for apps and BIS service. As long as they serve my needs, I'm good with it.
    04-05-12 04:28 AM
    I think the main point is, people buy BlackBerries over other phones for a reason.
    Whether its BBM, the best email handling, data compression, whatever their motivating factor.
    Every single one of those features, bar the keyboard, is dependent on a BIS plan.
    So by not taking one you're basically in the same position as you would be with a cheaper Nokia, for example, which would do the basics but not have any of the special features a BlackBerry has.
    I can't see the point, but hey, if you do, thats fine.
    I don't quite understand why you asked the question though, you clearly have your own mind made up OP, so everyone thats offered advice that you disagree with you've been snarky with, and the person who is saying what you want him to say, you're thanking and liking.
    If you've already made your mind up thats fine, but whats the point in the thread?
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    04-05-12 05:23 AM
    i wanted to know what else i was possibly missing out on, as i dont see much difference personally between BIS and no BIS

RoseBud comes in and says its useless without BIS without having done any research into the subject himself. the phone is still very functional without it, as i myself know, and as other members know
    he is embodying what is wrong with forums. people come into threads, skim the OP and post some uneducated reply with no backing just for the sake of posting

at least you took the time to read and formulate a proper post

i like the simple things which make a blackberry a blackberry. things like the quality keyboard, the simplicity of use, the LED notifications. this is why i dont buy something like a nokia, because i know it cant deliver on any of these functions
    04-05-12 06:19 AM

As far as I can tell the big four, [Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T] all require a Smartphone data plan which is universally $30 with either an Android phone or iPhone so all things being equal looks like you can't avoid the $30 plan unless you choose a "feature" phone.
    04-05-12 08:07 AM
    The way I read his post it seems as though his problem is not the "want" but rather the additional "cost" of the data plan which I imagine he will be forced to add to the line unless he buys the phone outright without the subsidy.

At least this is how I understand the back and forth between the two of you.
    04-05-12 08:10 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD