Nope, I agree with Mike. On my BB line, I pay $40 a month. With that SAME plan, it's only $30 for an Android device. Let me see if I can dig up where on the T-Mo site it says this.

ETA: Here it is in magenta and white: Monthly 4G Prepaid Plans | Compare Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

I have the $30 100 minute talk, unlimited text, unlimited data plan. Scroll down to where it says "additional services." See that "$10 per month BlackBerry Internet Services" option? There ya go.
    That's the exception rather then the rule though. And it swings the other way too, to get a free iphone 5 you have tto join a higher band contract in UK where for a BB it always starts at �35 maximum soon followed by �25 monthly contract.

To get an iphone at a �25 monthly contract you have to pay upfront quite a bit for the phone. I'm not even sure if you can have it at �25 actually.
    01-07-13 12:15 PM
    Nope, I agree with Mike. On my BB line, I pay $40 a month. With that SAME plan, it's only $30 for an Android device. Let me see if I can dig up where on the T-Mo site it says this.

ETA: Here it is in magenta and white: Monthly 4G Prepaid Plans | Compare Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

I have the $30 100 minute talk, unlimited text, unlimited data plan. Scroll down to where it says "additional services." See that "$10 per month BlackBerry Internet Services" option? There ya go.
    Contract plans with T-Mobile USA are inclusive and the same for all devices.
    01-07-13 12:20 PM
    Contract plans with T-Mobile USA are inclusive and the same for all devices.
    Which plans, the value or classic or both? I honestly haven't looked that far into it yet but I was assuming I'd have to pay $10 more when I put a BB10 device on my value plan (I'm letting my current monthly BB plan lapse).
    01-07-13 12:22 PM
    That's the exception rather then the rule though. And it swings the other way too, to get a free iphone 5 you have tto join a higher band contract in UK where for a BB it always starts at �35 maximum soon followed by �25 monthly contract.

To get an iphone at a �25 monthly contract you have to pay upfront quite a bit for the phone. I'm not even sure if you can have it at �25 actually.
    I'm sure all carriers have some finageling of prices for different devices/plans and it's not always cut and dry. I was just showing that some people do indeed still pay for BIS.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-07-13 12:24 PM
    I've just checked Orange UK, to get an Iphone 5 16gb on a �25 plan you have to pay �249 upfront and you get 100 minutes, 125 sms, 250 mb data.

A 9790 is free at that price and it gets 200 min, unlimited sms, 750mb data.

Just an example
    01-07-13 12:27 PM
    Vodafone UK, iphone 5 16gb on a �33 contract: �149 upfront, 500mb, unlimited sms, 600 minutes. For a 64gb you have to pay 329 upfront for the same contract.

Big money.
    01-07-13 12:34 PM
    I still have BBM contacts so it's not coming off my BB. With BB10 I'm expecting the numbers to start growing again as well.

BBM is covered by the carriers and that was the reason behind the whole service fee fiasco. The few exceptions to that rule aren't worth even talking about.
    01-07-13 12:37 PM
    I think we're going to see some fairly interesting things happen with BBM this year.
    1. BBM on BB10 will be enhanced with Video Chat and live document sharing
    2. PlayBooks will finally get native BBM--presumably also with live doc sharing--when they get their own BB10 upgrade later in the year
    3. RIM is looking for multiple ways to leverage BBM and make some revenue... BBM cash transmission is already in the works
    4. A tantalizing rumor (so far with only a brief mention from @BlackberryLeaks) is that RIM is looking at a desktop client for BBM
    Big deal. I don't have any contacts that use a BlackBerry anymore.
    I am a loyal BB user, who is anxiously awaiting BB10, but I don't know anyone who still uses a BlackBerry.
    Sad, but true!
    01-07-13 12:39 PM
    Which plans, the value or classic or both? I honestly haven't looked that far into it yet but I was assuming I'd have to pay $10 more when I put a BB10 device on my value plan (I'm letting my current monthly BB plan lapse).
    I'm on classic and it is that way, wife's family is on value and it is that way too. On both you are buying minutes, text, and unlimited data (with various amounts at 4G before hitting a cap and being throttled). I think that on contract SIM only plans are the same way too, but I'm going to have to check on that one for sure because I plan on switch to that I think once my current contract is up and start buying phones outright.
    01-07-13 12:53 PM
    Dunno how a thread on BBM turned into a discussion of data plans. FWIW, in the US, I pay AT&T $15/200MB/month for my BlackBerry Torch 9800, and the same for my wife's Android.

To the OP, I've -NEVER- used BBM since I don't know anyone who uses a BB. It's always phone, SMS or email. That said, the "Text messaging using BBM" article sounds interesting.
    01-07-13 12:56 PM
    Having supported BB for years in several firms, my experience was that BBM was hardly ever used. The real power was in email and PIM. With an email convo, it is all in one place, whether on phone, PC or other. Conducting business with BBM or text just fragments things and has a potential for things to get lost.

I have shown people how to use BBM for non-business communications and it was popular. We also use it in IT in case of email failure.

I am in a couple of groups from CB and it is very fun and a great way to share.
    01-07-13 04:18 PM
    I though this was just me, but I dont really have any bbm contacts either I rarely use the app
    01-07-13 06:29 PM
    Nope cost is the same per month for same amount of data if I use Blackberry, or Apple, or Android. Was the same when I was with Sprint.
    That's not the same in a lot of the world. We've had this discussion on Crackberry ad infinitum before, and sides soon form - but here you do either pay extra for a BIS add-on OR you pay the same as the other platforms and get less data allowance. Either way, you pay (here).
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-07-13 06:42 PM
    That's not the same in a lot of the world. We've had this discussion on Crackberry ad infinitum before, and sides soon form - but here you do either pay extra for a BIS add-on OR you pay the same as the other platforms and get less data allowance. Either way, you pay (here).
    And here you don't, so my the original comment that I replied to where the statement was made that you pay one way or the other is not universally true!
    01-07-13 07:14 PM
    the safety of messages through BBM does wonders for me, still its funny at least in this I feel sorry for folks in NA-just a little
    01-07-13 07:52 PM
    I use bbm daily. There's nothing better to know if agents have received a page.
    01-07-13 10:46 PM
    500mb????? thats so 2008...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Actually Bell offering unlimited BlackBerry data was so 2008, literally
    01-07-13 10:48 PM
    I got thinking about it, and I probably had a Berry for 5 or 6 YEARS before I set finger on BBM. I used BBerry for the elegant email and the RIM platform in general. Then one day a colleague showed me BBM and he and I started communicating via BBM. COINCIDENTALLY today I only BBM with 1 business associate.

What I never experienced was group BBM. Hopefully with 10 I may yet get a chance.
    01-07-13 11:08 PM
  19. Professional_Tickle_Fighter's Avatar
    I own a couple of my own businesses. We are still exclusively BlackBerry mostly due to BBM. I have tried whatsapp and others but they aren't reliable and can easily (by accident) be turned off by accident. I need the "D" and the "R" otherwise my life would be a mess!
    01-07-13 11:23 PM
    Dang i wonder how many active users are there on BBM
    >50 million according to RIM's last quarterly conference call.
    01-08-13 03:34 AM
    I have 5 contacts on BBM. One's about to jump ship to iPhone and one is rarely around as swaps his SIM from BlackBerry to Android all the time
    01-08-13 05:03 AM
    And u actually believe that????
    Why would you not? Remember the outcry at the big outage? People crying their BBM wasn't working.
    01-08-13 05:18 AM
    My sister was the one person that ever got me to use BBM. After she had me add her to my contacts, she proceeded to SMS text me instead.

Today I can think of one person off the top of my head that still has a BB.

I just tried the texting through BBM to see if the app wouldn't be completely useless, but it's no different than just using the text messaging icon. Plus, I'd have to add everybody I want to talk to whereas in the SMS conversations if there's someone I haven't talked to recently I merely click the header>compose>text, and grab the name from my main contacts.

I didn't like the fact that my texts were coming in as BBM icons, so I removed everything from there. Then I found out about my text conversations getting deleted...

I didn't realize you could remove BBM so maybe I'll do that to see if performance improves.
    01-08-13 05:44 AM
    BBM is great, I use it everyday.
    I have to be in touch with international contacts. SMS would charge international fees and while traveling I would be charged with roaming fees. BBM is already included in my plan, so I don't pay a cent extra.
    01-08-13 07:08 AM
    I have about 20 BBM friends, now that Rim has upgraded BBM with voice, it's very keel talking to friends in other countries. Pretty sure BBM is the main reason BlackBerry still exists.
    01-08-13 07:45 AM
77 1234