I'm actually hoping that with BB10 we'll have a choice to not pay for BBM (or BIS).
    01-06-13 10:22 PM
    Is everyone aware that you can ad text contacts into your BBM contacts list?

Your "BBM" contacts may not be what it used to be. But you can still use its UI to manage your other text contacts. All my BBM and text contacts, are in BBM. When a "text" contact messages me, I get the usual BBM notification. (LOL as I'm typing this, I get a BBM notification from a text contact)

In addition. Everyone in my family carries a BB. We are pretty spread out, so BBM allows us to stay in contact. More so now with BBM Voice. Mom likes it now that her son is a push of the green button away.

I use BBM all day, everyday.

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    What exactly is the benefit of using BBM to handle text contacts? The SMS interface is pretty much the same.
    01-06-13 10:30 PM
    WhatsApp isn't as safe and secure as bbm lol...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I'm a little curious about this? Is BBM encrypted end-to-end - it's not stored in unencrypted format anywhere, even on blackberry's servers? If so who generates the encryption keys, and how are they exchanged, and if the key exchange is directly between devices how is it that certain governments are able to compel blackberry to make available the plaintext contents of the messages?
    01-06-13 10:51 PM
    What exactly is the benefit of using BBM to handle text contacts? The SMS interface is pretty much the same.
    You're going to one location for all the messages. And, it looks purdy.

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    01-06-13 11:09 PM
    I have 13 contact on my BBM. all cowokrer (the technical team). I use it often for work. the group feature is great to reach every body easily and get a fast answer to a problem.

for my other friend and cross plateform, I use almost only facebook messenger. that is not the greatest app but that's where I have more contact. and I can reach them wether they are on their cellphone or computer.

I wish that BBM could integrate other IM messaging service in a way that I could use only BBM to chat with my others plateform friend into BBM throug the IM service that they use. only one app to open, (almost like the sms into bbm).
    I don't like to switch form one app to another to chat with different contact. and with the range of crossplateform app aviable, you have to switch more than once to connect every body.

think about it, you just have to setup some chekbox into every contact to set on what service you want the message to be sent, you send the message once into bbm and your friend recive it as a sms on is phone and as a msm message on is computer at the same time. or you could do a group chat with contact from different service all at once.

BBM could be crossplateform without the need to be aviable to other plateforms and crossplateform messaging services will gain a big userbase without the need to support an app with a UI to built and maintain. only a pluggin to convert communication betwin bbm and their service.

maybe it could be the same for VOIP and video chat.
    01-07-13 12:07 AM
    Lost my last BBM friend over a year ago.

I still love my blackberry!

I have a distinct feeling once BB10 hits the ground and runs, I'll be seeing those people trickle back!
    01-07-13 12:20 AM
    I wish RIM would open up BBM to other platforms. WhatsApp and Kik are both okay, but nowhere near as smooth as BBM. I honestly believe they'd get more people to consider a BB if they made 90% of the features available to other platforms. Maybe just allow text, picture and video clip messages, but not voice or video calling?

It would also keep people on the BB platform who might otherwise bail for iOS, Android or WP to get Facetime, iMessage, Skype, Kik, etc.

I also like guillaump's idea of a cross-platform server. MSN and Yahoo messenger did this a while back -- implemented each other's server protocol so one could contact all of his MSN and Yahoo contacts in either Yahoo or MSN messenger apps. A truly cross-platform gateway that supports all the major protocols could be a boon for everyone.
    01-07-13 01:34 AM
    I'm actually hoping that with BB10 we'll have a choice to not pay for BBM (or BIS).
    I understand that. I personally like BIS and BBM (when I use it - Seldom) but do agree it should be included with a BlackBerry plan at no extra charge. My Simple Mobile plan does not charge extra for BIS or BBM. It's $50 for unlimited Android, or unlimited BlackBerry including BIS and BBM. Hopefully other plans will follow.
    01-07-13 08:12 AM
    You are basically having the Berry manage texts as it manages BBM, and from within that interface, it governs in one place, rather than two, one for text, one for BBM. You also get Text message notifications as you would BBM, and I believe they slot themselves into your inbox. There are also some other benefits or at least perceived benefits you may gain.
    You can click here to read all about it from Crackberry: Text messaging using BlackBerry Messenger | CrackBerry.com
    01-07-13 08:20 AM
    You don't pay for BBM or BIS, you pay for a data plan, your carrier pays for BIS.
    01-07-13 08:49 AM
    I've never used BBM much. I had a couple of contacts from CB, but I don't know anybody from work, family, or friends who owns a BB. I never uninstalled it from my 9900, however, because I wasn't sure whether doing so would cause problems. I also never quite understood the point of all the apps asking to be connected to BBM.
    01-07-13 09:21 AM
    You don't pay for BBM or BIS, you pay for a data plan, your carrier pays for BIS.
    Oh you're paying for it. The carrier doesn't eat the cost of BIS, it's passed on to the customer. Just because it doesn't say "BIS" $5 on your bill, doesn't mean you aren't paying for it.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    01-07-13 09:35 AM
    We pay for BIS for BBM. We can't use wifi over bbm if we don't have BIS.

I'll just use whatsapp or Viber if instead of BBM if it needs BIS

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    01-07-13 09:35 AM
    We pay for BIS for BBM. We can't use wifi over bbm if we don't have BIS.

I'll just use whatsapp or Viber if instead of BBM if it needs BIS

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    A BlackBerry is not designed for wifi only use, it's a mobile phone after all. So you need to buy a data plan for it. Your carrier then activates BIS and starts paying for it. You pay the carrier, the carrier pays RIM. Simple.
    01-07-13 09:49 AM
    Oh you're paying for it. The carrier doesn't eat the cost of BIS, it's passed on to the customer. Just because it doesn't say "BIS" $5 on your bill, doesn't mean you aren't paying for it.
    Nope cost is the same per month for same amount of data if I use Blackberry, or Apple, or Android. Was the same when I was with Sprint.
    01-07-13 10:22 AM
    Nope cost is the same per month for same amount of data if I use Blackberry, or Apple, or Android. Was the same when I was with Sprint.
    My android phone plan and BlackBerry phone plan are equal in price, for the same features, through Bell Mobility.
    01-07-13 10:26 AM
    No I'm not, it cost the same weather I have an Android, BB, iphone or wp8. The carrier pays for it.
    01-07-13 10:28 AM
    Data plans at Telus all cost the same across all platforms as well. But they do have a few "special" BlackBerry plans, such as unlimited BBM or unlimited social networking, that aren't offered on the other platforms.
    01-07-13 10:28 AM
    No I'm not, it cost the same weather I have an Android, BB, iphone or wp8. The carrier pays for it.
    Depends on the plan and carrier, not always true. You're experiences do not reflect the experiences of everyone.
    01-07-13 10:37 AM
    Depends on the plan and carrier, not always true. You're experiences do not reflect the experiences of everyone.
    Read the comments above, it's the norm now.
    01-07-13 10:43 AM
    So today I was cleaning out my 9900, getting rid of applications I don't use just to clear up space and what not. Near the end of the ordeal, my cursor landed on the BBM icon and got me thinking.

How much do I use bbm? Blahblahblah, blah blah...blah blah blahey blah.

In 2008 I had 146 contacts, today all that remains is 14 and of which I barely communicate with.

Today my blackberry no longer has BBM, its weird.

Do you use bbm?

The setup...

Yea too bad RIM can't sell it as an app to other platforms it would be the best messaging platform.
    ...and the pitch.
    01-07-13 10:45 AM
    I'm seeing comments about a few specific plans on a few specific N/A carriers. Doesn't everyone on here always argue that N/A doesn't represent the whole world? Or have things changed recently?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-07-13 11:02 AM
    I'm hoping that BBM Voice catches on like crazy when BB10 comes out and hoping they come up with a BBM Video as well.

To the OP, I mostly use BBM with groups, for my family, to share messages and calendar additions. It is truly a lot better than Whatsapp(I've used Whatsapp on every platform).
    01-07-13 11:27 AM
    Nope, I agree with Mike. On my BB line, I pay $40 a month. With that SAME plan, it's only $30 for an Android device. Let me see if I can dig up where on the T-Mo site it says this.

ETA: Here it is in magenta and white: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/

I have the $30 100 minute talk, unlimited text, unlimited data plan. Scroll down to where it says "additional services." See that "$10 per month BlackBerry Internet Services" option? There ya go.
    rickkel likes this.
    01-07-13 11:53 AM
    The setup...
    ...and the pitch.
    And for a few days the member's status shows what happens to trolls who troll too much. Vacation time...
    01-07-13 12:04 PM
77 1234