So today I was cleaning out my 9900, getting rid of applications I don't use just to clear up space and what not. Near the end of the ordeal, my cursor landed on the BBM icon and got me thinking.

How much do I use bbm? I heavily text and email and most of my serious contact have moved on to ios or android some even to windows. I opened my bbm icon and started realizing that I never use this application. The individuals on bbm never send messages and most of my family friends send text messages.

In 2008 I had 146 contacts, today all that remains is 14 and of which I barely communicate with.

Today my blackberry no longer has BBM, its weird.

Do you use bbm?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-06-13 12:12 PM
    With Rogers i have to pay $15/month for this BBM plan... What a waste of money, eh?
    I pay 30 with rogers for 6gb but I use it as a tether for other devices and such so its worth it.

01-06-13 12:23 PM
    Sorry I thought this thread was about a PlayBook....hint hint RIM.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    01-06-13 12:24 PM
    I have one business contact in the U.S. whom has a BBerry, but does NOT have a TEXT plan, so if you wish to "message" him, you have to BBM him. However, that's it. I probably BBM him once a month, at most. If it were not for him, I'd never use BBM. Here in the U.S., it's not as popular (any more) as it is in Europe or other parts of the globe.

BlackBerry is valuable to me because of the way it handles email, and for the operating system elegance in general. I prefer the way BlackBerry does things VS iOS or Android. I can live without BBM. However, if others actually used BBM, I'd use it. I think it's a great communication platform. I simply do not have any friends or business associates (other than the one mentioned above) that use BBM or have a BlackBerry. They mostly have hopped to other platforms.

I do some business with colleagues in France, Spain, Australia, Italy, and England. Strangely, none of these associates are on BlackBerry. I know, that's strange. Just the way it is.
    01-06-13 12:33 PM
    Yea too bad RIM can't sell it as an app to other platforms it would be the best messaging platform.

01-06-13 12:40 PM
    Not too sure if its in RIM's best interest to make it cross-platform... Its too late anyways, WhatsApp already dominates
    WhatsApp isn't as safe and secure as bbm lol...

MTL likes this.
    01-06-13 12:46 PM
    You guys pay $15 and $30 a month?!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS??

I'm paying ~$60 a month for 500MB, 200min, unlimited texting and call display with Bell in Toronto.
    01-06-13 01:31 PM
    I think we're going to see some fairly interesting things happen with BBM this year.
    1. BBM on BB10 will be enhanced with Video Chat and live document sharing
    2. PlayBooks will finally get native BBM--presumably also with live doc sharing--when they get their own BB10 upgrade later in the year
    3. RIM is looking for multiple ways to leverage BBM and make some revenue... BBM cash transmission is already in the works
    4. A tantalizing rumor (so far with only a brief mention from @BlackberryLeaks) is that RIM is looking at a desktop client for BBM
    MTL likes this.
    01-06-13 01:33 PM

I'm paying ~$60 a month for 500MB, 200min, unlimited texting and call display with Bell in Toronto.
    500mb????? thats so 2008...

01-06-13 01:39 PM
    That's Bell for you....
    01-06-13 01:54 PM
    That's Bell for you....
    Yea, I have never seen bell offer the 6gb plan once. Not sure why, Rogers does it every once in a while when they launch a new device. Or you can call Rogers retentions customer service and if you have been a customer for more than 6 months you retentions will add 6gb for you for 30 dollars, its kind of hush hush lol because they sell their 2gb and 3gb for more than the 6gb one.

01-06-13 02:21 PM
    I use it every day to communicate with immediate family and people at work with our personal BB phones. Nice to know when my kids can't say I didn't get or read that message.
    lewcat likes this.
    01-06-13 03:08 PM
    500mb????? thats so 2008...

He's still living under a rock hahahah... Im rockin 6gb data plan with rogers on my iphone 5! Its so easy to make my iphone a personal hotspot for my ipad mini
    01-06-13 03:10 PM
    So today I was cleaning out my 9900, getting rid of applications I don't use just to clear up space and what not. Near the end of the ordeal, my cursor landed on the BBM icon and got me thinking.

How much do I use bbm? I heavily text and email and most of my serious contact have moved on to ios or android some even to windows. I opened my bbm icon and started realizing that I never use this application. The individuals on bbm never send messages and most of my family friends send text messages.

In 2008 I had 146 contacts, today all that remains is 14 and of which I barely communicate with.

Today my blackberry no longer has BBM, its weird.

Do you use bbm?

Damn... I so feel you OP. BBM used to be the **** in town... But no one is using it right now. But just go to blackberry fanpage on FB and add random hot chicks' bb pins
    01-06-13 03:13 PM
    Adding random people to bbm just to make it look full isn't my thing.. lol it may work for others but not me.

01-06-13 03:53 PM
    He's still living under a rock hahahah... Im rockin 6gb data plan with rogers on my iphone 5! Its so easy to make my iphone a personal hotspot for my ipad mini
    Yes I use my 6gb plan to hot spot for various devices its great, I use 1.2gb a week lol.

01-06-13 03:54 PM
    I actually have a select few friends who I BBM relatively often, but the majority of my friends are on other platforms so I'm usually using SMS, especially since I have unlimited texts.

I'm at about $65 a month for 1GB, 240 minutes, unlimited text, video, and picture messaging, Caller ID, and a Device Protection Plan with Telus in Toronto. However, the plan I got was a promotion back when I got my 9780, and they no longer offer it. I've been allowed to stick with it so long as I keep buying a BlackBerry from them, but ideally I'd like to get some more data when I upgrade to BB10. I'll have to ask about it next time I'm in-store.
    01-06-13 04:26 PM
    I pay $50 a month unlimited everything including BBM with genuine BIS via Simple Mobile here in the U.S. They are an MVNO of T-Mobile. When I hear about such charges like the above just for BBM I am amazed.

Back to the topic at hand, I truly wish I could use BBM more. I think it is a superior platform for IM, but as I previously stated, I have only 1 contact to BBM with.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    01-06-13 07:29 PM
    I pay $50 a month unlimited everything including BBM with genuine BIS via Simple Mobile here in the U.S. They are an MVNO of T-Mobile. When I hear about such charges like the above just for BBM I am amazed.

Unfortunately, the only "cheap" providers here are Wind Mobile and Mobilicity. You can get unlimited everything from them for about $40 a month I believe. But they don't have much coverage outside of a few major cities, and I travel out of town pretty often. They still don't have LTE either. It's a case of "you get what you pay for" I suppose, even if the major providers are ripping us off to some extent.
    01-06-13 07:39 PM
    Yea, I have never seen bell offer the 6gb plan once. Not sure why, Rogers does it every once in a while when they launch a new device. Or you can call Rogers retentions customer service and if you have been a customer for more than 6 months you retentions will add 6gb for you for 30 dollars, its kind of hush hush lol because they sell their 2gb and 3gb for more than the 6gb one.

Telus, Rogers, and Bell all offer the 6GB plan. They have since last August.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-06-13 07:42 PM

Keep an eye out, every now and then (usually it coincides with the release of a new iPhone), the carriers will bring back 6GB promos. I'm paying $65 for a similar plan you have but with 6GB data.
    01-06-13 07:47 PM
    I remember seeing the Big-3 all do promo's on some big data plan (something like 5GB or 6GB of data, couple hundred minutes, and unlimited texts for $60 a month) around August or September. It was an excellent deal but I figured I couldn't afford to switch plans with BlackBerry 10 so close, especially since my 9810 was bought just a couple months earlier. Now however, Telus charges $60 a month, in addition to your voice plan, for 6GB of data. Damn, I hope they do another promo when BB10 launches!
    01-06-13 07:48 PM
    Is everyone aware that you can ad text contacts into your BBM contacts list?

Your "BBM" contacts may not be what it used to be. But you can still use its UI to manage your other text contacts. All my BBM and text contacts, are in BBM. When a "text" contact messages me, I get the usual BBM notification. (LOL as I'm typing this, I get a BBM notification from a text contact)

In addition. Everyone in my family carries a BB. We are pretty spread out, so BBM allows us to stay in contact. More so now with BBM Voice. Mom likes it now that her son is a push of the green button away.

I use BBM all day, everyday.

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    01-06-13 08:36 PM

I feel that exact pain. As a long time bell customer I was hoping they would give me a decent price. I wanted more than just 1GB because of my PB. I took unlimited social instead. Which means bbm, facebook, twitter, no data. Which means I USE BBM. :thumbup: But it also means I only use my playbook on wifi boo. :thumbdown: May have been a bad decision then but whatever. Waiting for BB10... or 11... crap... stupid Bell contract.
    01-06-13 09:39 PM
    Is everyone aware that you can ad text contacts into your BBM contacts list?

Your "BBM" contacts may not be what it used to be. But you can still use its UI to manage your other text contacts. All my BBM and text contacts, are in BBM. When a "text" contact messages me, I get the usual BBM notification. (LOL as I'm typing this, I get a BBM notification from a text contact)

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    Good point. This is, of course, a great side benefit of BBM. I tried this and loved it, but bought the app Crunch SMS for Blackberry, and have been using that instead. I like Crunch very much, however, having BBM manage your TEXT contacts is really an excellent use of your Berry. I did this for a few days a while back just to try it and it's awesome. There is a thread on Crackberry detailing how to do this for the less technically savvy. see: Text messaging using BlackBerry Messenger | CrackBerry.com

I may dump Crunch and use this method. This puts all of your contacts and messages in one tidy place! Nice.
    01-06-13 10:18 PM
77 123 ...