BlackBerry will receive a large tax refund in August 2014, which will pretty much offset all of there restructuring cost.
    This will pretty much set the stage for a leaner BlackBerry, where sales in the 3 million mark and revenue from enterprise and
    BIS will propel the company to profitability throughout the third and fourth quarters of 2015.

With a right sized BlackBerry going forward and a stable ownership group the road ahead looks a little less grey.
    Right the ship, turn a slumping giant profitable, BB10 is a start up OS which needs to be treated as such. The sales of BB10
    handsets and its app situation are in line with other start ups, time and focus is all that BB10 requires.

I unlike others believe BlackBerry has the time and with proper stewardship will realize their goals. BBM will be successful and offer
    other revenue streams going forward. Taking BlackBerry private will shut the noise and with a proper PR campaign going forward to stem the tide
    Blackberry will be successful. With the cuts in employment and operating cost moving forward even at Q2 numbers BlackBerry would have turned a profit.
    Moving forward as BlackBerry realizes profit from other plays in the auto industry and messaging there vision of mobile computing will show profit and I guarantee you will see A new IPO from BlackBerry.

BlackBerry expects to get $500M tax refund within a year | CTV News
    10-04-13 11:08 AM
    So from getting ragers over the 3 billion in cash we should shift our focus to a 500 million tax refund cheque? lol

Regardless whether you're a multinational company or an average person, when you start including next year's tax refund cheque into your budget you know you're not doing too well...
    10-04-13 11:16 AM
    While this surely is one of the better news we've had since a couple of weeks, I wouldn't overrate it. August 2014 is almost a year away from now and a lot can happen during these 11 months. Just compare the earnings quarter by quarter for the last years, you'll see how much of a downfall can come. So if BlackBerry manages to do somewhat well until next August, it is at least some sort of a nice goal to reach.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    10-04-13 11:28 AM
    BlackBerry will receive $500M tax refund. That's very good. I'll leave it at that.
    10-04-13 11:34 AM
    I posted the Tax refund news to make the point that the restructuring cost of the company, will not cost Blackberry a penny. There has been a lot said of the cost and impact of restructuring on Blackberry moving forward well in the end the real cost will be 0 when they file there corporate taxes. And this is not a bad thing.
    10-04-13 11:34 AM
    I unlike others believe BlackBerry has the time and with proper stewardship will realize their goals. BBM will be successful and offer
    other revenue streams going forward.
    Yea but, but, but, but the blonde girl on the tv and the guy with a college degree in journalism told me Blackberry is dead, therefore its going to happen /sarcasm. I agree with you 100% though.
    10-04-13 11:39 AM
    I don't think this will make a difference to the fate of the company
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    10-04-13 11:49 AM
    I agree with you. BlackBerry has to right size itself fast to reflect income and get back to making a profit (however small). They have to continue to innovate big time on BBOS10, BES10, BBM, the ideas around mobile computing. It will take a while but the consumer market will come back in spite of furious media raz.
    10-04-13 11:52 AM
    keep in mind all this is is a credit back from overpayments relating directly yo the writedown. They paid taxes on booked earning ( expected) and didn't get paid what was expected so get teh overpayment back. Not such a good thing. The money sitting at CRA or IRS or wherever will not earn a penny. If they hade the cash it wouls earn some. More fallout from the same mistake, getting a big tax refund means you made a big mistake somehwhere
    10-04-13 12:16 PM
    keep in mind all this is is a credit back from overpayments relating directly yo the writedown. They paid taxes on booked earning ( expected) and didn't get paid what was expected so get teh overpayment back. Not such a good thing. The money sitting at CRA or IRS or wherever will not earn a penny. If they hade the cash it wouls earn some. More fallout from the same mistake, getting a big tax refund means you made a big mistake somehwhere
    Regardless this is a nice chunk of change that will help lesson the cost of restructuring that will then allow the money that would would have been budgeted to the restructuring to be spent somewhere else, like at cost z10's and q10's going to BES10 businesses...etc etc.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 12:23 PM
    I totally agree. Despite the media/analysts negatively, through proper downsizing and restucturing they can return to profitability. Whether that results in a non-hardware business is yet to be seen. They have some valuable sofrware products.

Sent from my SGH-I717R using CB Forums mobile app
    10-04-13 12:26 PM
    Sadly, this $500 Million will fall into private hands, if things continue as they are. Prem Watsa already has this spent on his new house !
    10-04-13 02:29 PM
    Yeah and there is the one billion dollars at cost of real estate that is owned and can be leveraged. And bbm will release and looking at twitters valuation we can assume it can be worth around a billion....
    And the patents and government contacts and qnx owning the auto industry.
    Ya poor BlackBerry is dead.
    Oh did i mention the one billion in cost savings the restructuring is supposed to save by next year.
    Man i can't see any value or future there

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 02:40 PM
    So from getting ragers over the 3 billion in cash we should shift our focus to a 500 million tax refund cheque? lol

Regardless whether you're a multinational company or an average person, when you start including next year's tax refund cheque into your budget you know you're not doing too well...
    No, any company that is projecting anything cares about a number like half a billion.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 03:14 PM