If BBM were relevant these ads might matter. It isn't, so they don't.
    03-20-16 09:03 AM
    What's the next thing to monitze? Browser? Contacts? Calendar?

I pay BlackBerry to buy a phone. That should be enough to cover BBM. If they want to do it for Apple and Android, I would understand. But that would surely put anyone off from switching any of those users back to BlackBerry. (not that there are a lot that are going to anyway)

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 likes this.
    03-20-16 10:55 AM
    Wait...wtf?!
    Not again!! Wont work out. Chen. Think!!!!!

Posted via Q10Bold
    techvisor likes this.
    03-20-16 11:07 AM
    The reason why BB is not in the position add adds to BBM, or let people pay for no adds is the following:

They first have to deliver a better product with a bigger userbase than the one big competitor: WhatsApp

While the usberbase is very small and the functions are not really so much better than on WhatsApp, why the H should anybody pay, or look at stupid adds?? I do not understand that.

You have to invest something to make profit out of it.
    And this is what BB should do right now: start to make the best instant messanger around, for example with cross-platform-video-chat, or integration of dropbox or something similar.
    If you don't - you're never gonna make something out of it.
    My sentiments exactly. They should make a really great app... get people hooked first... then only charge.

WhatsApp is in a much better position to charge or place ad's but they failed to do so too. WhatsApp is still humble enough to admit that they are still not in a position to charge, why do you think that #BBM is?

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 12:40 PM
    Well the thing here is everyone & #BBM too is cracking their heads on the wrong thing to fight for a small amount of money that may or may not be sufficient to ensure the survival of #BBM. At the same time this also annoy the current users.

I have stated several times here & elsewhere that #BBM should embark on a different model that will bring huge amount of money to #BBM and I'm sure all users here would love & without annoying anyone.

Here is what #BBM should do;

1. Sell stickers to big multi national corporations so that #BBM can in turn offer these stickers free to users.

2. Improve & implement #BBM money worldwide. Enable people to also transfer small amounts of money from one to another in different currencies. These will be using an exchange rate that is slightly on favourable to #BBM. This service will also fill the needs of the under banked or the un-banked population in the 3rd world where #BBM is very popular.

They have a huge population from these countries who are working overseas & needs to transfer money home on a regular basis. If this can be limited to say USD 200 equivalent per day or per week then it really fills a need.

3. Improve #BBMchannels so that businesses can sell products online & purchasers can pay for these products & services online using #BBMmoney. @BBM can then charge a fee for these transactions just like a credit card. Believe me that these can literally bring in USD millions as revenue to BlackBerry on a daily basis if this is widely used.

4. Sell movies, games & music via #BBM. I remember that years ago, BBM on legacy devises allows people to play games together & at the same time chat with each other too. Using the same idea sell movies, songs & games to people so that they can watch the same movie with their friends remotely & cha at the same time.

All these will bring unimaginable amounts of revenue to #BBM or #BlackBerry. Some of you might not agree with these additional features but I'm sure that you will agree that if these features are available & if you don't use it you will not feel annoyed. At the same time #BBM will earn the amount of money that they need & you will continue to receive a free service.

This is why I have been saying that everyone is barking up the wrong tree.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 01:12 PM
    It is not incompetence. So you don't like ads, service is now $19.99 per year.

Posted via CB10
    You're right. Incompetence is BB Channels. What a complete cluster **** mess that is.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-20-16 01:14 PM
    Should be add free for loyal BlackBerry 10 users.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 01:30 PM
    Aww... You made a funny word!
    Did I..? -- but there really isn't any free lunch.
    03-20-16 05:08 PM
    Did I..? -- but there really isn't any free lunch.
    What does that have to do with using names a high schooler would?
    03-20-16 05:15 PM
    Nothing. When you're right, you're right -- sometimes the negativity here rubs off on me.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-20-16 06:59 PM
    Nothing. When you're right, you're right -- sometimes the negativity here rubs off on me.
    Tell me about it. I'm no different.
    David Tyler likes this.
    03-20-16 07:00 PM
    ALTHOUGH -- to be fair (and by "to be fair," I mean, "to be fair to me" >snkr<), I can't claim credit for "WasteCrook." That one, I got from a poster at work, reminding people to use some common sense about what they post on, er... "Facebook." But still.
    03-20-16 07:03 PM
    ALTHOUGH -- to be fair (and by "to be fair," I mean, "to be fair to me" >snkr<), I can't claim credit for "WasteCrook." That one, I got from a poster at work, reminding people to use some common sense about what they post on, er... "Facebook."
    OK you, or your coworker, get credit for originality on that one.
    03-20-16 07:06 PM
    How about they offer a premium service before rifling me with more ads?

Give me bbm video cross platform and better group functionality and a one time no ad fee instead of subscription-based option and we can talk.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-21-16 03:55 PM
    I still don't see any ads on my BBM... And no I'm not subscribed to anything.
    03-22-16 06:16 AM
    All social media from Facebook, Twitter and instagram excessively use advertisements so why not BBM actually I support it

Posted via CB10
    03-22-16 06:27 AM
    All social media from Facebook, Twitter and instagram excessively use advertisements so why not BBM actually I support it

Posted via CB10
    Because the Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are not BBM's competitors. It's WhatsApp. And WhatsApp doesn't use ads (by now)! This way they're clearly killing BBM instead of pushing it to the masses. So sooner or later there'll be not a single IM App available for OS10 / BBOS7!
    Q10Bold likes this.
    03-25-16 03:47 AM
    WhatsApp is free, kik, messenger, pretty much everything else is free of charge without ads.
    Really? Is it truly "Free"??. I think you need to really understand how they monetize " YOU"!

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    03-25-16 06:57 AM
    Really? Is it truly "Free"??. I think you need to really understand how they monetize " YOU"!

Posted via CB10
    OH MY GOD...IM use statistical data to know their customers better...what an insight. Please tell me how this effects me directly as a customer. BBM puts the monetizing directly in my face (adds, shop)...how's that better. Never got an add, message etc. from WA....

Posted via CB10
    03-25-16 08:12 AM
    OH MY GOD...IM use statistical data to know their customers better...what an insight. Please tell me how this effects me directly as a customer. BBM puts the monetizing directly in my face (adds, shop)...how's that better. Never got an add, message etc. from WA....

Posted via CB10
    Yeah statistical data that is gained by your entire conversations being raked through to look for keywords that may indicate future purchases or brand preferences..

I don't agree with BBM incorporating ads, but i certainly prefer that over my private conversations being used as marketing research. We need to support non-invasive products if there is ever to be hope of us no longer being turned into data products.

David Tyler likes this.
    03-25-16 09:42 AM
    No one in our family uses BBM anymore those who still have BlackBerry texting all the way. So much faster than BBM, sometimes it takes up to 45 minutes from the time Sent to Receive with someone sitting across the room.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-16 09:55 AM
    Yeah statistical data that is gained by your entire conversations being raked through to look for keywords that may indicate future purchases or brand preferences..

I don't agree with BBM incorporating ads, but i certainly prefer that over my private conversations being used as marketing research. We need to support non-invasive products if there is ever to be hope of us no longer being turned into data products.

Is there any evidence that Whatsapp pulls keywords from your conversations and that BBM doesn't? Honest question - I don't know the answer. Is that a distinction between these two products? If so, BB should market that as a difference.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-25-16 10:21 AM

1) Again: How does Whatsapp use this information? I do not get any add or purchase suggestion.

2) What is the origin of the adds in BBM. I do not follow the logic. So Whatapp is a bad company using my chats for 'indication of future purchases'....but I do not get adds. BBM is good because it shows me adds? And these adds in BBM, ...are they random? are they also taylor made. Probably they are the good adds, as they come from BBM.

I agree with you on the side that one should try to support, or at least know what products are not data mining. A side remark: in these discussions here one should not forget that one of the biggest data miner is google, which most of us use on a daily basis.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by hplovecraft; 03-25-16 at 12:14 PM.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-25-16 10:39 AM
    For security purposes I am sure bb have a team of highly vetted employees who are sworn to secrecy - examining bbm messages to ensure the right ad is sent to bbm users. Or more likely they will provide the ad space the highest ad agency bidder. Who will then populate bbm with ads ranging from unpopular vacation destinations to cosmetic deals.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-25-16 11:20 AM
    To be honest how many people would rush and purchase a product because they saw it being advertised on BBM. Most shoppers purchase based on price and availability, big ticket items research.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-16 01:42 PM
103 12345