What's the point of WhatsApp data mining our conversations without doing anything to push us to make the next purchase? Nobody's going to pay them money for it right?

They data mine keep the information for what?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-16 10:36 PM
    They data mine keep the information for what?
    Facebook -- owner of WhatsApp -- doesn't "keep" your information. They sell it. That's how they make money.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    03-25-16 10:44 PM
    Again: How does Whatsapp use this information? I do not get any add or purchase suggestion.
    Facebook owns WhatsApp. Ads are all over Facebook, and Facebook makes a lot of money by selling your information to their customers -- not you; their REAL customers -- the businesses advertising goods and services on Facebook and elsewhere. Facebook paid $19 billion (that's "billion," with a "b") for WhatsApp. Since WhatsApp users aren't paying money for the service or even seeing any ads, the message data and metadata is being sold -- and not for chump change, either.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    03-25-16 10:58 PM
    Facebook owns WhatsApp. Ads are all over Facebook, and Facebook makes a lot of money by selling your information to their customers -- not you; their REAL customers -- the businesses advertising goods and services on Facebook and elsewhere. Facebook paid $19 billion (that's "billion," with a "b") for WhatsApp. Since WhatsApp users aren't paying money for the service or even seeing any ads, the message data and metadata is being sold -- and not for chump change, either.

And still. The average user gives a crap about that or does not know about it. This is what counts in the end.

If BB wants to make money out of BBM they need a better product. I can't see any efforts around here in Europe to market BBM. They have to make clear, that BBM gives people real privacy - if there really is a difference between BBM and WA considering data mining.
    03-26-16 04:32 AM

A lot of people here seem to know it all...and are very sure of their Opinion ;-) The sad thing is it is only an opinion..nothing more. The topic of how a modern IM without adds, and end to end encryption (so chat survey is very unlikely) can make money is very interesting, and has yet not been solved.

Again you mention message data, facebook...REAL customers, puhhh. The thing is, again, it is unclear to you that WA surveys our messages, and how it should be able to do so (en-to-end e).

Actually up to day it is an open topic in business as to how WA can make money, and why if it was worth 19m. One of the solutions might be using WA as a service tool . See:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorri.../#1568645b4f12

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 04:43 AM
    And still. The average user gives a crap about that or does not know about it. This is what counts in the end.

If BB wants to make money out of BBM they need a better product. I can't see any efforts around here in Europe to market BBM. They have to make clear, that BBM gives people real privacy - if there really is a difference between BBM and WA considering data mining.
    BlackBerry needs to do marketing, and the average WhatsApp user couldn't care less about privacy..? No argument from me.

03-26-16 06:07 AM
    Actually up to day it is an open topic in business as to how WA can make money, and why if it was worth 19m.
    19b. Billion.

Last edited by David Tyler; 03-27-16 at 01:43 PM.
    03-26-16 06:24 AM
    I believe Loc22 got it right. The best way is to make a compelling (free) product with attractive features, and then have value-added fee-based services on top - such as some of the services mentioned by Loc22. A payment system could be huge, but you need the user base or no one will sign on for the service. Gaming too. fb makes a lot of money on all that Zinga stuff. Cross platform video chat would have helped bring users - but it never came. Some of my wife's relatives in the Philippines who are on Android loaded up BBM when it went cross platform. We hoped, expected and waited for video chat features that never came. They are all back off BBM now.

It's probably too late for BBM now. It went cross platform, and then sort of floundered. Many loaded it to give it a try, and have since abandoned it because BB failed to listen and execute. Yet another missed opportunity for BB. The thing is, for a messaging service, you just are not going to successfully monetize (with fee's, or adds) unless you have a huge and growing user base. A struggling user base will walk away from adds thrown into private conversations. I know I will. It's an obnoxious route to take.

I don't have a problem with the subscription model, but it goes back to what I said above - not a big enough user base for it to work. I'm just not going to bother paying a subscription to keep BBM'ing with my 2! BBM contacts. I'll just move on...

Posted via CB10
    markus2107 and Loc22 like this.
    03-26-16 07:08 AM
    OH MY GOD...IM use statistical data to know their customers better...what an insight. Please tell me how this effects me directly as a customer. BBM puts the monetizing directly in my face (adds, shop)...how's that better. Never got an add, message etc. from WA....

Posted via CB10
    Sure you haven't, or so you think.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 07:48 AM
    Sure you haven't, or so you think.

Posted via CB10
    Again a know it all ...

Sure....adds I don't remember getting are the best ;-)
    Still prefer adds I don't recognise (whatever you meant by 'or so you think') to adds which will be in my chats.

So question: What did you mean by 'so you think'?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 08:04 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...l#post12340865

This! jhimmel, that's exactly what I'm thinking!
    03-26-16 01:58 PM
    It was a market research company based out of Toronto.

Posted via CB10
    Well this sure shows how much you know.

The power of the force and the  passport.
    03-26-16 02:08 PM
    A lot of people here seem to know it all...and are very sure of their Opinion ;-) The sad thing is it is only an opinion..nothing more. The topic of how a modern IM without adds, and end to end encryption (so chat survey is very unlikely) can make money is very interesting, and has yet not been solved.

Again you mention message data, facebook...REAL customers, puhhh. The thing is, again, it is unclear to you that WA surveys our messages, and how it should be able to do so (en-to-end e).

Actually up to day it is an open topic in business as to how WA can make money, and why if it was worth 19m. One of the solutions might be using WA as a service tool . See:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorri.../#1568645b4f12

Posted via CB10
    That's 19 Billion. Facebook would not spend that kind of money without a way to generate revenue. They do not need to sell ads, because they can package your information, contacts, and data learned from your communications to sell to other parties who will use it to reach you with advertising in various ways.

The burden of proof often leads people to be naive. The great thinkers, inventors and philosophers of the past were the ones who could recognize the reality and potential of a situation or idea, whether or not they could prove it at the time. Fact is, capitalism is king, and you are a commodity to these billion dollar + free software companies far more often than not, whether you choose to accept that idea or not

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-26-16 04:33 PM
    That's 19 Billion. Facebook would not spend that kind of money without a way to generate revenue. They do not need to sell ads, because they can package your information, contacts, and data learned from your communications to sell to other parties who will use it to reach you with advertising in various ways.

The burden of proof often leads people to be naive. The great thinkers, inventors and philosophers of the past were the ones who could recognize the reality and potential of a situation or idea, whether or not they could prove it at the time. Fact is, capitalism is king, and you are a commodity to these billion dollar + free software companies far more often than not, whether you choose to accept that idea or not

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android

Ehm...so now we have to take for granted what you guys say against WA without going into details, or 'prove' as you call it. Nice!

BTW...do you realize you used 'great thinkers', 'inventors', 'philosophers' in a short diskussion about whatsapp......a bit much don't ya think ;-)

I actually don't see myself as a defender of WA...I am just no fan of people posting certain things as a given without any further information. Let's recap some of them:

i) WA scanning chats for information, to use for advertising.
    -No answer to problem of end-to-end encryption. No answer to the question what adds are meant.

ii) WA sending Adds to me without me knowing
    - No answer from op to me what those adds were.

iii) WA selling my data, information to companies to send me adds.
    - Please give me an example (I know you don't have to as an 'philosopher')

I know, I know 'thinkers' like you don't need to get into detail as they can 'recognise the reality' without the 'burden' of 'prove'. Puhh...sounds really classy, doesn't it ;-)

PS:
    I am well aware it was 19 billion. In German a billion is a 'milliarde'....but good that you tried to correct me.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 05:41 PM
    Again a know it all ...

Sure....adds I don't remember getting are the best ;-)
    Still prefer adds I don't recognise (whatever you meant by 'or so you think') to adds which will be in my chats.

So question: What did you mean by 'so you think'?

Posted via CB10
    Sure, do enjoy your application.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 05:56 PM
    Sure, do enjoy your application.

Posted via CB10
    Nice answer to my question... ;-)

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 06:04 PM
    Nice answer to my question... ;-)

Posted via CB10
    The real answer wouldn't be so kind. I prefer to let ignorance/ ignorant be their own folly.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 03-26-16 at 06:29 PM.
    03-26-16 06:14 PM
    Really dumb question for everyone but has this ads in BBM thing been 100% confirmed??

I did a quick scan in the thread and outside of a picture I didn't see any confirmation that this has gone live or will occur?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 06:16 PM
    The real answer wouldn't be so kind. I prefer to let ignorance be their own folly.

Posted via CB10
    hahaha....ok. So you have no clue what adds I get. Why all this pretending....kinda boring.

Ta Ta

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 06:30 PM
    hahaha....ok. So you have no clue what adds I get. Why all this pretending....kinda boring.

Ta Ta

Posted via CB10
    Try calling this number for example and you will see what I'm referring to, it's not just advertising it's SPAM! 257 292 00217.
    Unfortunately it's NOT just directed to you as a "loyal" customer but your contacts list is shared which angers me as I DON'T subscribe to what's app! Exposing me to your choice of chat app and having them annoy me.
    Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 06:36 PM
    Try calling this number for example and you will see what I'm referring to, it's not just advertising it's SPAM! 257 292 00217.
    Unfortunately it's NOT just directed to you as a "loyal" customer but your contacts list is shared which angers me as I DON'T subscribe to what's app! Exposing me to your choice of chat app and having them annoy me.
    Posted via CB10
    aha...a number (which I should dial?) I never heard of is the 'adds' you talked about that I got. What a revelation! That's all? kinda little after all the name calling and trying to sound smart.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 06:50 PM
    aha...a number (which I should dial?) I never heard of is the 'adds' you talked about that I got. What a revelation! That's all? kinda little after all the name calling and trying to sound smart.

Posted via CB10
    Name calling trying to sound smart? As I said let's leave it there .
    Again ignorance.

Read their disclaimer perhaps you would BEGIN to understand.
    Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    03-26-16 07:00 PM
    Name calling trying to sound smart? As I said let's leave it there .
    Again ignorance.

Read their disclaimer perhaps you would BEGIN to understand.
    Posted via CB10
    Too late, too little.....

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 07:15 PM
    Too late, too little.....

Posted via CB10
    Think you mean "too"!

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 07:17 PM
    Think you mean "too"!

Posted via CB10
    Now you just embarrass your self ...you should just stop.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 07:28 PM
103 ... 2345